2015-12-31%2019.16.51_zpscgykiel3.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thank you!

yea, yea...trigger and the buffer tube system. Several people say to go with 16" barrel, so gotta figure out what spring and buffer weight will work best.
    Depends on what kinda work you're gonna do with the rifle. Honestly, there's nothing an 18" can do that a quality 16" can't do. The velocity differences are almost negligent. I have 2 18" SPR's and working on a third, and also have 4 16" guns. I like both, but I don't hump my 18" guns around in the woods. They're for the bench

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The standard H buffer and spring should work without any problems. A vast majority of AR kits come with just a regular H buffer and spring.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    16" middie (prefably, but I wouldn't pass on a good deal for a carbine). Borrow an H and an H2 buffer (and an H3 if they have one) from someone to figure out which runs best. H2s have run well in my 16" middies, but as was said earlier, every system is different and you may need to experiment.

Shtf and HD

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you can swing it, an adjustable gas block is the wqy to go. But if using non-adjustable, then ideally run the heaviest buffer that will still lock the bolt back after last round fired. I run H2's in all my middys and have an H3 in one of my SPR's and it still locks back on wolf ammo.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    2016-01-02%2020.12.17_zpsgxzibizl.jpg

Only thing I need to complete the lower end is the buffer rube, buffer weight, buffer spring, end plate, and stock...

Quick question while testing the firing assembly, when the hammer is up, are you able to switch fire assembly to "safe" position?

It's been many years since I've operated an ar15...

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    2016-01-02%2020.12.17_zpsgxzibizl.jpg

Only thing I need to complete the lower end is the buffer rube, buffer weight, buffer spring, end plate, and stock...

Quick question while testing the firing assembly, when the hammer is up, are you able to switch fire assembly to "safe" position?

It's been many years since I've operated an ar15...

No, you can't put safe on with hammer up. That trigger looks familiar....

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you can swing it, an adjustable gas block is the wqy to go. But if using non-adjustable, then ideally run the heaviest buffer that will still lock the bolt back after last round fired. I run H2's in all my middys and have an H3 in one of my SPR's and it still locks back on wolf ammo.

you make the reference to wolf ammo, is it a weak round?

Looks good

Thank you.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    you make the reference to wolf ammo, is it a weak round?
    Yeah, Tula and Wolf are a little underpowered. A lot of guys have short stroking issues with those two, but not with quality M193 or M855. I've never had any issues with tula or wolf in any of my AR's. There's several variables that can cause those two to not function well. But anymore, barrel manufacturers make the gas port larger than needed so it's essentially non issue

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't plan to shoot wolf ammo, however it's tempting for being so cheap and not needing to worry about recovering the casings...

Sounds like the h2 buffer with a 16" midday is the ticket for me.

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    No, you can't put safe on with hammer up. That trigger looks familiar....

Looks great.

I wouldn't sweat the Tula or Wolf ammo. All of my rifles cycle Tula, Wolf, the steel cased Colt 62gr or good brass with no issues.

Edit: Sorry, quoted off the wrong post.

Last edited:

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    Can I ask roughly what you spent building this?

OP, sorry I missed this question. That was my first rifle build. I paid a little more for a few things than maybe I should have and made some changes after I got it built. Also, prices have dropped a bit since I built it. It also has an AIM NiB BCG and the JP Enhanced Reliability spring kit. I have about $650 in it as it sits. I could build that same rifle now for a bit less than $600, I think. It's certainly a competent shooter considering what I have invested into it.

I hope you chose to build and hope it's coming along well.

Top Bottom