• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I believe that's correct, but there is a distinction. An airborne force is invading, it is inherently an offensive active, even if dropping in support. Pilots shot down are not.

I think that is the correct distinction. There have been "customary" laws or traditions of warfare that shooting soldiers/sailors/airmen in distress (e.g. wounded & surrendering/ship sunk/bailed out pilot) are not legitimate targets, but often observed in the breach. In WWII the US fighter pilots tended not to shoot at Germans they had just shot down, feeling it wrong (and also perhaps a waste of time and dangerous if there were other German fighters about). The Germans generally, but not always, did the same. The Japanese on the other hand did not seem to have any regard for that particular tradition, and I suspect US pilots probably reciprocated.

An actual international Geneva Convention-type agreement that shooting airmen descending in parachutes from shot-down planes did not happen until well after WWII.

I'm not sure about the state of international law for naval equivalents (i.e. sailors in the water from a sunk warship), I was an Air Force guy, not Navy. I know in WWII a German sub got bombed while trying to rescue survivors of a ship it had just torpedoed, which pretty much put a halt to the German Navy ever trying to save survivors for the rest of the war.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    All I'll say is that if you bomb my homeland, and someone get a lucky shot, disables your aircraft, and you bail out.... if you stray in my sights, as you descend, your surviving family can send their complaint to Geneva.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marco Rubio on Turkey-Russia escalation - Business Insider

Rubio argued that the US should make clear that it would go to war to defend Turkey, which is a member of the NATO alliance. If the US did that, Rubio said he would "hope" and expect that Russia would not confront NATO.

"He'll have to do something to save face, but ultimately he is not going to test the alliance if he believes the alliance is going to stand up to him. Because he'll lose in that confrontation," Rubio said.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Russia probably wasn't going to do anything.... until the Americans opened their mouth.
    I'm not convinced of this.

After a series of escalating warnings, Russia gave Turkey another wedgie and Turkey turned around and landed a bloody punch to the nose. Putin didn't seriously think something like this would happen, so is caught off guard for a change. There was going to be some sort of response, because Russia has greater leverage. It might not've been military, but something was going to happen. That is who Putin is.

What NATO or the UN says just changes the dynamic of a response, not whether it would happen.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Again - "International Relations" is the business of one country screwing another.

It applies in this case. Putin is a fairly adept player - whether we think he's a slimeball or not is irrelevant. We have to respect the player on the other side of the chessboard as a force to be reckoned with, if we are to have a hope of winning.

Obama is not capable of holding Putin's jockstrap in the foreign relations business. His weakness is related to pride, hubris and arrogance. Interestingly - Hillary has many of the same flaws.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Again - "International Relations" is the business of one country screwing another.

It applies in this case. Putin is a fairly adept player - whether we think he's a slimeball or not is irrelevant. We have to respect the player on the other side of the chessboard as a force to be reckoned with, if we are to have a hope of winning.

Obama is not capable of holding Putin's jockstrap in the foreign relations business. His weakness is related to pride, hubris and arrogance. Interestingly - Hillary has many of the same flaws.

He's not an adept players, he's just better than his contemporaries.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    All I'll say is that if you bomb my homeland, and someone get a lucky shot, disables your aircraft, and you bail out.... if you stray in my sights, as you descend, your surviving family can send their complaint to Geneva.

And do you see where it can go if you strafe people that have given up, shoot sailors in the water, pilots in the chute?
    Walk into a POW camp and empty your mag into everyone. Do you see where an already ugly business such as war gets even uglier.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And do you see where it can go if you strafe people that have given up, shoot sailors in the water, pilots in the chute?
    Walk into a POW camp and empty your mag into everyone. Do you see where an already ugly business such as war gets even uglier.

Then perhaps the pilots should carry white flags to unfurl as they descend, pop a can of red smoke, have something that makes a lot of noise. A pilot falling to the ground isnt thinking "oh I'm a non-combatant now." They're thinking evade capture. If it's not CLEAR you're giving up, you should be fair game.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Then perhaps the pilots should carry white flags to unfurl as they descend, pop a can of red smoke, have something that makes a lot of noise. A pilot falling to the ground isnt thinking "oh I'm a non-combatant now." They're thinking evade capture. If it's not CLEAR you're giving up, you should be fair game.

I think it's related to the medium.
    A pilot is defenseless under a parachute.
    A sailor is defenseless in the water (unless he's a SEAL)
    You could say that you as a homeowner is defenseless, which is why those types of casualties are minimized, unless you're going full out world war.
    When the pilot is on land, or the sailor rescued, then yes they can try to evade. And shot while evading.
    Some WWII submariners were in a bit of trouble for possibly machine gunning survivors of torpedo attacks.

Top Bottom