• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The spouse and I have been looking at indoor ranges for winter shooting. This place has come up.
    Not going to spend a dime in there now.
    Bully tactics by RO's are not acceptable.
    "He Knows what he is talking about"

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Their house, their rules. You don't like the rules? Then don't go to the house. No butthurt, no big deal, pretty simple.

Yes, and that is the plan going forward. Did you miss the part about not having the rule posted anywhere? Had I known beforehand, this would have gone much differently.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yes, and that is the plan going forward. Did you miss the part about not having the rule posted anywhere? Had I known beforehand, this would have gone much differently.
    That's why I wonder if it is a real rule. Indiana has different customers than Ohio, where they are originally from. They should err on the side of not offending the customer.

Maybe they need to hear from us.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Sounds like the manager advised you of the policy during your conversation after shooting. You didn't like it. So now you won't go back.

Problem solved.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would imagine the "policy" probably was contrived on the spot after a quick conversation between the RO and the manager. Sounds more like face saving BS really.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I would imagine the "policy" probably was contrived on the spot after a quick conversation between the RO and the manager. Sounds more like face saving BS really.

Bingo.

They realized they messed up when they realized the customer was a Cop...citing :poop: law to a LEO is not cool. So he backed up his employee, and made the employee's mistake, into the company's mistake.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Solely from the standpoint of hearing damage, I'd encourage use of suppressors on the range.

In a Walmart world, however, you get a lot of Paul Blarts.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Strikes me as a silly, feckless rule. People deciding not to do business with them is good and all but much like the rationale behind the "no guns, no money" cards, I'd suggest the action needs to be more direct. They're not likely to know how silly rules affect business until they see how much silly rules are affecting their business.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Hmmmm, if they sell a can to somebody will they let them come in and play with their new toy prior to one receiving the stamp their law and unposted policy requires one to produce? Dang, maybe I'll just wait for Spring to get here and shoot outside. I'm planning a trip to Vandalia Gun Range & Armory, an easy 45 minute drive from home. I'll have an AAR for those who live near Indiana's east coast.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I wonder if this NFA stuff is really the policy of their overall company - or was this just an example of the local manager supporting his employee?...

This ^^^.

VUPDblue might think of touching bases with them the week after next. Check in during business hours, (maybe in uniform?) to see what the manager has done as far as following up with corporate. Maybe a kind reminder that he'd love to be a regular customer, if they could just get by this issue?

There might not be results initially, but little reminders sometimes sink in, educate, etc.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Here's the posted text of their range rules from their website:
    -----------------------------------------------------------

[h=3]Range Safety Rules[/h]
          • Keep the muzzle pointed downrange at all times.
          • Ear and eye protection must be worn at all times.
          • Keep behind the firing line.
          • Do not shoot the floor, ceiling or walls of the range.
          • All rounds must impact the back stop.
          • Point Blank staff is in charge of the range at all times, failure to follow instructions will result in immediate ejection from premises.
          • Use only ammunition safe to use and of proper caliber for your firearm.
          • Keep your firearm unloaded until on line and ready to fire.
          • Drawing from a holster is prohibited.
          • No rapid fire. You must control the firearm.
          • Pregnant women are not permitted on the range.
          • Alcohol, illegal drugs or any other form of impairment is not allowed while on Point Blank property.
          • Food and drink are prohibited from the range.
          • Smoking/smokeless tobacco is prohibited in the store and the range.
          • Shell casings must be swept past the firing line after shooting.
          • You may pick up your own brass.
          • Only ammunition purchased at Point Blank may be used in rented firearm(s).
          • You must be 18 years of age or older to use the range unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
          • Shooters between 18 and 21 may shoot and rent long guns as well as purchase long gun ammunition. Shooters 21 years of age or above may bring their own handguns and ammunition, rent handguns and purchase handgun ammunition.
          • Wash your hands after using the range.
          • We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at any time for any reason.
    [h=3]General Safety Rules[/h][h=3]Always to be followed at Point Blank[/h]
          • All firearms are considered loaded at all times.
          • Always point firearms in a safe direction (downrange, the ground, etc.), until on target and ready to fire.
          • Always keep your trigger finger straight along the frame until on target and ready to fire.
          • Always know your target and what is behind it.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    This is disappointing. I was planning to shoot at a Point Black during the cold season. This makes me curious about what, if any, liability is on a shooting range and if this could explain the reasoning for such a policy. I agree that the policy should be posted or at the very least written down somewhere for the manager to be able to show the customer.

I am am curious about the following questions...

1. If a customer is using an NFA item that they do not have a stamp for, would the range be liable in any way if the ATF came in and discovered this?

2. If a customer has been convicted of a felony and rents a gun from the range, would the range be liable for supplying a firearm to a felon?

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Took a co-worker to their range in Cincy - refuse to go back after how they treated her.

Took my brother-in-law to their range in Carmel. Was decent, but I'll make sure not to go back to any of them after crap like this. Too many good ranges to choose from to support "unwritten rules" that come out whenever they feel like it.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Based on certain items in the OP's account of events, may have been a Heckler's Veto hiding behind "policy". Had something similar happen to me in the past on an outdoor range.

I do. My Form 4s are confidential tax material protected by federal law.
    :yesway: :)

Douche policy.

Double Douche move by the imbeciles claiming "it's the law."

I had no reason to go there, but I definitely won't now. I don't even have any NFA items, but I choose to avoid patronizing douches who engage in egregious douchebaggery when possible.
    Can one say that the Purple Pachyderm will not patronize a place of pretentious perfidy?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Their house, their rules. You don't like the rules? Then don't go to the house. No butthurt, no big deal, pretty simple.
    You missed a big piece of the puzzle there matlock. The house rules weren't posted anywhere and not explained before they took his money. They violated a basic agreement not him.
    i won't be going there to shoot now.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When one pays money for the access and use of a facility, a contract is formed. A party doesn't get to unilaterally add terms to such a contract at their whim.
    Thank you for confirming the legalities. I knew there had to be something but I'm not a lawyer. We just call that a gentlemans agreement where I'm from

Top Bottom