• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    what a strange division... seems to have some kind of identity crisis. has to be on production gun list with production modification restrictions, 140mm mags, minor, and a dot.

I wonder if it would get lot more participation if they simplified it to be Limited plus slide-mounted dot. Seems a lot of folks saying they aren't interested in the current division due to holster placement, mods they have on carry guns (eg undercutting trigger guards) not allowed, etc.

-rvb

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    what a strange division... seems to have some kind of identity crisis. has to be on production gun list with production modification restrictions, 140mm mags, minor, and a dot.

I wonder if it would get lot more participation if they simplified it to be Limited plus slide-mounted dot. Seems a lot of folks saying they aren't interested in the current division due to holster placement, mods they have on carry guns (eg undercutting trigger guards) not allowed, etc.

-rvb

I agree it is in an odd place, but if you make it limited with a dot, how is it different than Open? Comps, what else?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That confirms my belief that Stoeger is an annoying moron.

"You thought Carry Optics was for old guys that just wanted to put a dot on their production guns only to reload every time they move. Well, you were wrong, Carry Optics is now for poor people that don't have the scratch for a proper open gun."

He had me at old guy that likes to reload.

Can't figure out USPSA sometimes, people work hard and develop really impressive skills, and then push for divisions that don't require any.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    "You thought Carry Optics was for old guys that just wanted to put a dot on their production guns only to reload every time they move. Well, you were wrong, Carry Optics is now for poor people that don't have the scratch for a proper open gun."

He had me at old guy that likes to reload.

Can't figure out USPSA sometimes, people work hard and develop really impressive skills, and then push for divisions that don't require any.

Then with that logic, Carry Optics should be right up your alley.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    So if you rag on me and Ben Stoeger both is that like a huge left handed compliment?

rajai-davis-worst-swing-ever.gif

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    Pretty much wherever you are adding orthopedic weirdo stuff (comps / rifle stuff / optics / huge magazines ) so that you do not have to shoot a gun the way that nature and rightness intended.

the difference is that once you add that stuff you have to shoot the guns at light speed to keep up with anyone winning. I think my open gun is much easier to shoot fast than my production gun, but my HFs in Open can't compete with good open shooters as well as my production HFs did in production.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

-rvb
    21.4 Grips
    Replacement grip panels are allowed
    provided they do not extend below the
    butt of the gun to form a make-shift
    magwell. Grip modifications such as,
    but not limited to,
    undercutting/smoothing the trigger
    guard, adding or removing finger
    grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape,
    or checkering are specifically allowed,
    without reference to Appendix
    E4. Grip tape or grip sleeves cannot
    disengage a grip safety.

Also
    Milling of slide — only as required to insert

optical sights

A slide may be modified specifically for
    the purpose of installing optical sights
    or cocking serrations. Textured
    finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling
    on the slide to provide texture is also
    allowed. Cuts that are designed to
    specifically or significantly lighten the
    slide, such as holes, are ruled as
    competitive advantage and prohibited.

You can stipple, undercut and even remove the finger groves, plus you can tri-top, cut serrations, mill the slide as long as it doesn't create a slot, hole or port.
    You also cannot open the magwell up

It is a hybird kind of thing, production approved gun ( or needs to have 500 made if not on the list)
    can do grip modifications and slide modifications (slide mods are the same as single stack)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You can stipple, undercut and even remove the finger groves, plus you can tri-top, cut serrations, mill the slide as long as it doesn't create a slot, hole or port.
    You also cannot open the magwell up

It is a hybird kind of thing, production approved gun ( or needs to have 500 made if not on the list)
    can do grip modifications and slide modifications (slide mods are the same as single stack)

sorry, picked a bad example. but strange that yu can mod the frame but limited how much you can modify the slide, etc, etc, then have weight limits. especially don't like the weight limits... some prod guns ok, others not because of weight... but then I think on principle its bad to tailor a division for the purpose of promoting a specific brand/model. but that horse left the barn with 8-round revo...

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    sorry, picked a bad example. but strange that yu can mod the frame but limited how much you can modify the slide, etc, etc, then have weight limits. especially don't like the weight limits... some prod guns ok, others not because of weight... but then I think on principle its bad to tailor a division for the purpose of promoting a specific brand/model. but that horse left the barn with 8-round revo...

-rvb
    There was a lot of discussion about weight and additional modification
    https://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20170121_Carry Optics Division 2016.pdf
    There was a couple of proposed weight changes
    Production +4oz
    or a total weight of out to 51.99
    The presentation on it goes over everything, it turned into a rather lengthy discussion
    what we got was removing the capacity limits and just following the allowed 140mm mags

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    There was a lot of discussion about weight and additional modification
    https://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20170121_Carry Optics Division 2016.pdf
    There was a couple of proposed weight changes
    Production +4oz
    or a total weight of out to 51.99
    The presentation on it goes over everything, it turned into a rather lengthy discussion
    what we got was removing the capacity limits and just following the allowed 140mm mags

Why have a weight of 45 oz. when a lot of Production legal guns weigh close to 50 oz. If you can get a scope on it and it is on the Production legal list it should be LEGAL for CO.

Top Bottom