• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Based on the pay structure, being a rookie cop in Indiana means not being married, not having kids, and sharing the rent with a roomie. It is a young persons game and probably a good place to start but I don't see how anyone could do it for long...you'd go broke. I would not want to be a cop, I'd be lousy at it. Glad to see some folks want to, I just hope with the compensation they offer, they don't end up with a bunch of psycho rejects from the local rent-a-cop companies.

I went through the academy at 32 years old, married and with a child. $40k is not a bad salary in today's job market. Considering that after 3 years that figure goes to almost $60k, it is a pretty good paying job.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Average family income is around $50k in the US. Two officers married and making $40-60k each would be pretty sweet.

What is the age minimum? I have a few interested applicants

0C994ED8-E45B-483C-983E-D6B8060122D6-463-00000041CD4115EB_zps0c3c0414.jpg

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's not that hard if you have the will and fortitude to get through the academy. I was nervous as hell and dreading day #1 of the academy when I began. There were ups and downs along the way, and it seemed like a looooooong way, but I got through it, as did the majority of my classmates. I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's challenging, exciting, fulfilling and just plain fun. Sure there are knuckleheads that make it irritating sometimes but what job doesn't offer the occasional knucklehead?

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks VUPDblue. I submitted an interest card, since that's all it would let me do.
    Now I just gotta keep my fingers crossed that they don't start the process before I get home.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I went through the academy at 32 years old, married and with a child. $40k is not a bad salary in today's job market. Considering that after 3 years that figure goes to almost $60k, it is a pretty good paying job.

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. I know that if a worker feels he is adequately compensated, it goes a long way in making a high stress job seem more doable. Being a cop is not easy work.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What are the requirements academically? Criminal Justice?

Who knows now.

Before it was College degree (in whatever) or at least 2 years military service. Same with ISP.
    I haven't seen a college or military requirement for any major Marion County department in a LONG time. I was set to go through their last recruit class back in '07-ish time frame (last one before the merger) and it wasn't a requirement then nor in '05. ISP is a little more stringent, but last I knew they didn't REQUIRE a degree. I haven't looked in some time though.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    1. Must be a resident citizen of the United States
    2. Must be 21 years old and not have reached their 36th birthday by date of appointment
    3. Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate
    4. Has never been arrested or charged with a felony that has not been expunged by a court, even if charges were later dropped
    5. Cannot have a misdemeanor conviction of domestic violence under [18 USC §922 (g)], that has not been expunged by a court, even if charges were later dropped
    6. Must possess a valid driver's license from their state of residence
    7. Must be a resident of Marion County, Indiana or one of the seven adjoining counties at the time of appointment to the Department
    8. Cannot have been dishonorably discharged from the military
    9. Must pass a mandatory drug screening test
    Screen Requirements
    The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department's applicant screening process is multi-phased and consists of the following steps:

1. Preliminary Application
    2. Written Examination
    3. Oral Interview
    4. Physical Agility Test
    5. Polygraph Examination

1. Background Investigation
    2. Medical Examination
    3. Psychological Examination
    4. Drug Screening
    5. Board Approvals
    An Equal Opportunity Employer ~ Police - Community Partnership

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I asked today and as told that the department wants to start the next class by June 2014 so this process should move pretty quickly once the applications are all in.

Top Bottom