• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I asked today and as told that the department wants to start the next class by June 2014 so this process should move pretty quickly once the applications are all in.

Interesting. I turned 35 the end of August and have been thinking of a career change. Maybe this is the opportunity I've been looking for?

Curious... is your assignment based on the needs of the department, or do they take your residence in to consideration? What sort of shifts?

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Interesting. I turned 35 the end of August and have been thinking of a career change. Maybe this is the opportunity I've been looking for?

Curious... is your assignment based on the needs of the department yes, or do they take your residence in to consideration? No What sort of shifts? See below

Our main shifts are days (0530-1400...I'm on that), Middle (1330 to 2200), Late tac (1900-0330), Lates (2130-0600) we work 8.5 hr shifts with 6 days on and 3 days off. Newbies will likely work middles but COULD get lates if lucky. It takes about 10yrs to get days and 6-7yrs to late tac.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Huh.....I didn't realize that's a disqualifier for LE.

They have you do a color dot test and its pass fail.... I have been told by a few officers that they test it on the wellness exam every year and one cop rescently said he did not even realize it was a disqualifier but said they do test everyone on it every year.

i can see color just not see the difference between light green and light light green.....

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    They have you do a color dot test and its pass fail.... I have been told by a few officers that they test it on the wellness exam every year and one cop rescently said he did not even realize it was a disqualifier but said they do test everyone on it every year.

i can see color just not see the difference between light green and light light green.....

They dont test on that (color blindness) annually. dont know where you got that info but it is inaccurate

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Man, if only you guys were like 100/125 miles or so north, oh and if you could just match my current salary.

If you have public student loans the police force is one way to help pay them off cheaper.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is not how I imagined this thread going :n00b:

I agree completely. I would think your posting of this information would be an excellent way to encourage people who enjoy firearms, respect the rights of citizens, and feel motivated to make the community a better place to step up to the plate and participate (other than those of us who are too old and broken down!). It seems obvious to me that the best way to have good police is to encourage good people to apply and become police.

Fortunately, the thread seems to have improved as it goes along. Thanks for providing the service for those who are inclined toward law enforcement and those who live where the enforcing will be done.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I was actually initially tempted to switch sides, but then logic got the best of me and decided I am better off staying a fireman. If I didn't have to start all over again on salary, it would be much more difficult to not at least apply.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I love my job and I encourage anyone who thinks that this may be for them to give it a shot. This process is only open for a short time, as in they are only taking actual applications for less than two weeks. It would be awesome to have a couple INGOers in this process. I had a blast when I went through it.

Top Bottom