Wearing a tac vest at the range, douche or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Might wanna wear it during sleep as well. Just incase of a "bump in the night" situation.
    Hmm... Maybe I should start wearing clothes to bed too... May not need the gun to scare them off if I don't throw something on...

In all seriousness, if you don't sleep in clothes (whoever you are), think about what happens if you have to get out of the house due to a fire or somebody breaks in.

Mbandy13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    I could sit here and blow sunshine but I would be lying, I could see it if your doing a pistol or carbine class, otherwise walk to the car and get the tools.

mike

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Train how you fight. If you take a class and use a chest rig or vest, use it when you practice. Some people may look at me funny when I do a threat scan at the range, but I won't do it in a gun fight if I don't in practice. Fumbling for gear is the last thing you want to be doing when your life is in danger. Set your kit so it works for you, and use it.

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    Nothing like using terms like "tacticool" and "mall ninja" to intimidate others into conforming to your standards…

Yeah, wear what you like.

0scarM!ke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    If it's part of your dynamic training/bug out gear...then it would be stupid to to not wear and use it. I shot for years sitting on a bench shooting paper with my ar propped up on a bipod. I wore whatever. Then i slowly started training, and not just plinking. I then ditched the 30 pound lead sled AR and got an M4 set up. I started shooting with pockets full of mags. Realized that that just was not realistic. So i got a sling, and a vest. I too was concerned about shooting with the vest...so i didn't for quite a while. I just continued shooting with the sling and rifle w/mags in pockets. Then one day, i threw the vest on cause no one else was at the range. When i loaded it out with ~6 mags, and threw the rifle on...my rifle was not usealbe. The sling was setup for street clothes. Had this been a real SHTF situation. It could have cost me my life, or someone else's. Train like you carry...and carry what you train with when at all possible.

0scarM!ke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    I should also say, a typical rifleman vest set up with mag capacity of 2-8 mags is sufficient. If you have a full on plate carrier with thigh rig...1,000 round capacity...grenade pouches, hydration pack, med kit, MRE's and about 100#'s of random other Tacticool other crap then you sir are FULL METAL RETARD! :) just be realistic with your tac-vests guys. Weight and maneuverability is everything.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Sylvain was right about the scarf.

:):

I dont plan on shooting naked for now.I dont want to imagine how I would have to hold my spare mags.

I try to wear a scarf at the range so that the brass does not find its way down my shirt or hoodie.

I must admit that when I saw the scarf I thought it was a little girlie but I didn't want to hurt your feelings and say anything about it. However, I have since received a very nice burn from a 22 LR casing and have decided your scarf idea is indeed a very good one. I now know to keep my neck covered when shooting semi-auto's.

Thanks Sylvain for the usual good advice.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I say that if you're going to be wearing it in a fight, you should be wearing it while you're training to fight. I'm not sure what situation you'd be preparing for that would involve tac vests, but if you've got something in mind then I'd suggest going all out while training. If you're just wearing it to hold your crap, well they have tables for that.

capn willie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Vests and hearing protection are for douches - this is how we roll.
    Note to self - easier to put your finger in your ear if you put the beer down.

0.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I say that if you're going to be wearing it in a fight, you should be wearing it while you're training to fight. I'm not sure what situation you'd be preparing for that would involve tac vests, but if you've got something in mind then I'd suggest going all out while training. If you're just wearing it to hold your crap, well they have tables for that.

Yes I talked about that.I know it would be silly to wear a tac vest while standing behind a table during my entire time at the range.
    I was talking about drills on the move and training in large ranges where you cant go back to your table/bench to pick a magazine, a tool, or whatnot every two minutes.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I must admit that when I saw the scarf I thought it was a little girlie but I didn't want to hurt your feelings and say anything about it. However, I have since received a very nice burn from a 22 LR casing and have decided your scarf idea is indeed a very good one. I now know to keep my neck covered when shooting semi-auto's.

Thanks Sylvain for the usual good advice.

You would be the only person on here who worries about my feelings. :):

That's how you learn.Either from tips on INGO or the hard way at the range.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Yes I talked about that.I know it would be silly to wear a tac vest while standing behind a table during my entire time at the range.
    I was talking about drills on the move and training in large ranges where you cant go back to your table/bench to pick a magazine, a tool, or whatnot every two minutes.

I say go for it then. If you've got a need then I wouldn't care what people think. :yesway:

Did you bring back any Opinels when you crossed the ocean last? If not, then I change my stance on this thread. I'm against anything you do. :):

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, being someone who works currently at a range... ;)

If someone comes up with a tac-vest, generally screams "I don't follow safety rules, do stupid things like canting the gun in a two handed hold because some idiot friend says it mitigates recoil and my gun will not work b/c it's junk or not well maintained". This isn't opinion, it's what has been observed.

Only one person that came out in all my 5 years working at a range that wore a vest that knew what they were doing and they were a consummate shooter. He wore it as he was practicing loading mags from it, but didn't wear it before or after said drill.

Also, cammo clothing with white running shoes makes you look like an idiot. Sorry, but it does. If you think it makes you look cool, you need to go to school.

Wearing stuff that says "Sheepdog", or "Zombie hunter" or other dreck makes you look like you are 10 years old. Grow up. They aren't toys or little boy fantasy enhancers, they are serious tools guns are.

If you weigh 300 pounds and claim you are a Marine at one point? Sorry, not going to believe you...

If you wear an Unky Mike's floppy holster, I automatically watch you and secretly laugh. At minimum, a Fobus is 100% better and costs roughly the same. :D

Top Bottom