Wearing a tac vest at the range, douche or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can someone tell me the difference between wearing a vest to store six magazines and a pistol and having a pistol belt with six magazine pouches and a holster? Is a pistol belt also considered "douche-like?"

Good question. :dunno:
    I see guys that train for IPSC matches that have a dozen mags on their belt and nobody makes fun of them.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Good question. :dunno:
    I see guys that train for IPSC matches that have a dozen mags on their belt and nobody makes fun of them.

Sure I can.

This guy wears his mags on his belt.

Dave_Sevigny.jpg

He is fricking awesome.

This guy wears them on a vest.

0.jpg

Not so much with the awesomeness.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sure I can.

This guy wears his mags on his belt.

Dave_Sevigny.jpg

He is fricking awesome.

This guy wears them on a vest.

0.jpg

Not so much with the awesomeness.

:rolleyes:

I see.I think you just may have a problem with Nutnfancy, not so much with the tac vest.
    What about Nutnfancy training for IPSC with mags on his belt? :)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Go for it!

If it makes you happy do it. Who cares what the haters say? It's a cool idea to have gadgets in your pockets if you need them. Having them right there is better than having them buried in a range bag.

If I saw you on the range and starred at you, it would probably be because I was trying to guess what was in the pockets not because I thought you were a dweeb. Pockets are cool, embrace them.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    It screams douche to me. If you want to wear one to your training class that you just dropped $800 on, where you will be running/gunning & training, that's a whole nother story.

If you are wearing a tac vest to punch holes in paper at a public range..... DOUCHE!!

Here you go, I have a couple of choices for you
    Banana Costume - Adult Costume $32.88 - Clown Halloween Costume at Wonder Costumes
    And this
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=llsin&gs_nf=1&cp=10&gs_id=1j&xhr=t&q=banana+costume&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4574353476529359778&sa=X&ei=kqtgT7DqFam02gWFv7X6Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAA
    OOPS wrong quote used

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've (unfortunately) been to a couple of public ranges where I really wished I'd had a plate carrier to wear. People may get shirty when you call them on it, but when I get muzzle swept, I will let 'em know that it's NOT okay.

Besides what's already been said concerning the "fashion critics", IMHO if a person goes to the trouble to put a "general quarters" rig together, than they really ought to practice with it until their hands will "automatically" know where to go to get what they need RIGHT NOW.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If it is something you expect to be able to shoot in and use under duress, then by all means take it to the range.

Years back when I could get to the range 3-4 times weekly, I would mix it up occasionally with a variety of clothing options. I think the one that drew the most looks was the full winter gear (I used to travel through northern Wisconsin for work so "full winter gear" was what I felt was needed for colder than 20 below) in the middle of summer. Why? Because it is a pain to operate in those clothes and I wanted to maintain at least of level of proficiency and heat added a type of duress to the process.

FWIW, for switching to a secondary weapon I used to find that I could often get approval from the RO to draw from a holster if the weapon is cleared and empty when I drew. While not ideal, my backup-gun drill normally went something like:

1) Hit desired targets w/ primary, drop mag from primary, set weapon on bench (or otherwise placed in a safe position) as I start going for backup weapon

2) Draw backup and dry-fire (for revolvers and DA pistols, I would dry-fire 3-4 times on multiple targets if possible)

3) Speed reload backup weapon and live fire backup weapon (reloading as needed)

4) When backup weapon is cleared, it would be placed securely on the table or bench and I would pick up the primary and complete a short firing sequence w/ a fresh mag inserted

I am quite certain I looked like a total idiot doing this and got more than a few comments, but it was fun and I felt it was practice worth doing.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The range I go isn't a place where you can train to run around and shoot in all different directions. Bullets go one way at that range and all a vest would do for you is to help with mag changes and get used to it while shooting prone. So, in my case I would say that if I pulled up to the range and I saw a guy looking all tacticool wearing his vest I would immediately think it's probably some commado, wanna be, never served, D-bag who would also have the biggest "No-Fear" sticker he could find on his pos car.

If a guy wears a vest to training then I think it's time well spent and who cares what you look like. If you want to just practice mag changes (and I really think people should) then you can do that at any time in the privacy of your home without drawing a lot of attention to yourself. Last night I practiced mag changes with an AK that I bought recently and still haven't had the chance to use at a range yet. The kids were asleep and I went to the basement. There's soemthing to be said for ripping a mag out of a sleeve and jamming it into the gun as fast as you can. That's not a skill you want to learn on the job.

To really train in your vest, you need to be wearing it in the rain and low crawling through some mud for a good long distance with very poor lighting. Then start doing all the mag changes and using the gear. I completely agree to train how you're going to fight, but if a guy is standing at a range looking tacticool wearing the cheapest made in china vest he could find from cheaper than dirt and just using it to change mags, then I'd say there's a pretty high percentage of a chance that he's a d-bag.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    In all seriousness, how's a guy to carry various stuff around? Say you need some writing utensils, a cell phone, 2-way radio, camera, notepad, flashlight, this & that. Plus, I can't sit on my wallet (sciatic nerve thing). Put it in a bag and they'll ridicule you for carrying a murse, fanny packs are little better, but I have a couple of what's called "tactical load bearing vests" that with a duty belt allows you to have basically a lot of pockets. Don't even have to get into firearms, that can go IWB as usual. And I'll still get ridiculed for that? [Bad word] all you [bad word]. I'm not carrying a bunch of loose crap and having to stuff this here, that there. There just has to be a way to do it.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    No, I don't think so. Something to get use to and comfortable with if you ever need it. You become familiar with it while you train with it. I bought a maxpedition bag for work. What ever is comfortable with you.

Top Bottom