• ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Then educate them, don't enslave them.

Conscripting people in order to perserve Liberty is like burning your house down to save your living room.

I said nothing about making it a law, I merely said it would change a lot of attitudes.

besides, you are forced to go to school, you are forced to pay taxes, you are forced to get a permit to exercise your rights... what else is new? :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally, I think we need to step back a couple of Decades to when we, as in Individual Communities, took care of the issues of the Communities Services...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I said nothing about making it a law, I merely said it would change a lot of attitudes.

besides, you are forced to go to school, you are forced to pay taxes, you are forced to get a permit to exercise your rights... what else is new? :dunno:

You said "2-3 years of mandatory military service" I don't know how else to interpret that statement.

So you think the cure for too much government and no freedom is more government and more infringement on rights? Just step back and think if that makes any sense at all to you.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

I understand where you're coming from. You got a lot out of your service and are very proud of it, and you should be, because you voluteered for it of your own free will. You made a sacrifice of time and freedom in order to ensure that we have the capacity to defend our freedom. It's very commendable.

However, it's unreasonable to think that EVERYONE will get the same thing out of military service that you did, especially when they're forced into it instead of volunteering for it.

Not everyone is built to be a soldier, and not serving in the military doesn't mean you aren't doing anything to protect Liberty and contribute to society.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I understand where you're coming from. You got a lot out of your service and are very proud of it, and you should be, because you voluteered for it of your own free will. You made a sacrifice of time and freedom in order to ensure that we have the capacity to defend our freedom. It's very commendable.

However, it's unreasonable to think that EVERYONE will get the same thing out of military service that you did, especially when they're forced into it instead of volunteering for it.

Not everyone is built to be a soldier, and not serving in the military doesn't mean you aren't doing anything to protect Liberty and contribute to society.

I agree. Americans have a choice between complaining about a percieved lack of freedom and sacrificing to guarantee it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

True, probably why only Dems have instituted the draft. Only way they could get their people in the fight.

Pretty soon there will be no one left to pull the wagon, as everyone will be sitting in it.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I never understood unemployment. A low % is funded by the employer. The rest is up to us. Why not get something in return, put them to work? FDR style.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Don't like the concept of welfare? Wanta' get really unhappy? Do a little research to see how much of the money budgeted for welfare actually goes to welfare recipients and how much is spent administering the programs.

I saw a unofficial proposal several years ago based on just such research and accompanying math. The proposal was to simply give every welfare recipient and each of their dependants $100,000 a year on Jan. 1 and tell them "goodbye, see ya' next year"! (Example: A couple on welfare with 3 children would recieve $500,000.) Between Jan 2 and the reopening of the distribution office in say mid-December, close the welfare offices completely. No office rental, no paper, no pencils, no salaries for workers (they could be on the benefit roles). This would save millions of dollars every year! Sure, it's unrealistic but it was intended as an exercise to point out how much "welfare money" doesn't go to welfare recipients!

Just sayin'!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Philosophical question:

Are we currently fighting on the battlefield for our freedom or our security?

Security, hands down. And its arguable if that is even being achieved by our warring.

The Middle Eastern conflicts are more of a War on Tax Dollars than anything. Domestic policy is a War on Freedom.

I agree. Americans have a choice between complaining about a percieved lack of freedom and sacrificing to guarantee it.

Can you even admit our lack of freedom without predicating the statement with the word "perceived"? If you can't perceive it and admit it, you damn sure can't correct it.

I never understood unemployment. A low % is funded by the employer. The rest is up to us. Why not get something in return, put them to work? FDR style.
    FDR was the worst president America has endured, and that is saying a lot. We aren't going to correct our socialized country by turning it fascist.

Top Bottom