What happens when you leave your carry gun at home "because I was going to a bar"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Simply put, If I were to go to a bar, I certainly would have my gun with me, I would just not have more than two drinks. The problem is, I know I'm OK carrying my gun while drinking a beer or three, I know lot's of guys that if they were mixing alcohol and guns would mean serious jail time, or worse. If a situation comes up that would require me to not carry my gun, I just won't go. I don't know if the guy was forbidden by law to carry in the bar, but if he just didn't feel comfy carrying while drinking, he should either not go to bars, or give up guns.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I couldn't tell you the last time that I didn't carry into a bar. I'll go to a bar once every two weeks or so. Never once have I needed my gun, and never once did I think about pulling it. Before I get told how irresponsible I am, this is about self-control and limiting your alcohol. If you're a jackass after a couple drinks don't carry or learn to control yourself. I don't know the stats, but I'd guess that you're more likely to need a gun leaving a bar than you would at a grocery store, especially in a place like Broad Ripple, where packs of drunk punks are looking for fistfights.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    The one dude in the white t-shirt tried to start **** all on his own, until the white guy got the best of him and got on top of him....that's when the rest of the dude's friends jumped in and just beat the **** out of the white dude.

Pathetic... Scum such as these "pack beat down" dudes should just be wiped off the face of the earth...

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    this topic comes up once in a while on here whether its a good or bad idea to carry in a bar or have a couple of drinks.

situation could have been much worse if he was armed. can you imagine someone who has been drinking thinking that their life is worth defending before they become sober again?

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    The real problem is that if you have two drinks and do need your gun, you will be in big trouble.

First, you are in a less sympathetic position to start because you have been drinking. Some jurors "know how people are when they are drinking." If an overzealous prosecutor gets ahold of you, hang on.

Second, the civil liablity is my greatest concern. Some "drunk guy" shot my dad. Relevant evidence of intoxication is a BAC of .05. Six people who did not get off of jury duty may not need anything more than a couple orphans to award a huge sum of money. Or "I was just minding my own business" when the drunk guy shot me and now I am paralyzed for life. If he was sober, he would have know that the guy I was beating to death was my best friend and we were just playing. Or my husband would have never hurt me, he pulls that gun out all the time at home just playing around. If that guy was sober, he would have been able to see that.

Point is, the shootee and the victim may both testify against you. It could be the word of everyone against some drunk guy.

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I dont like to drink out in public anyway its to expensive. But i would never go to a bar without my gun. The odds are so much higher that your going to need it when leaving then almost anywhere else.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The real problem is that if you have two drinks and do need your gun, you will be in big trouble.

First, you are in a less sympathetic position to start because you have been drinking. Some jurors "know how people are when they are drinking." If an overzealous prosecutor gets ahold of you, hang on.

Second, the civil liablity is my greatest concern. Some "drunk guy" shot my dad. Relevant evidence of intoxication is a BAC of .05. Six people who did not get off of jury duty may not need anything more than a couple orphans to award a huge sum of money. Or "I was just minding my own business" when the drunk guy shot me and now I am paralyzed for life. If he was sober, he would have know that the guy I was beating to death was my best friend and we were just playing. Or my husband would have never hurt me, he pulls that gun out all the time at home just playing around. If that guy was sober, he would have been able to see that.

Point is, the shootee and the victim may both testify against you. It could be the word of everyone against some drunk guy.
    ^^^This is more or less what I was trying to say....but I'm off on Fridays, and have been drinking since lunch time.:D

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    That video is crazy, I'm going to broad ripple tomorrow night, if I had my ltch I would def. carry, I'm not a big drinker usually just end up drinking a shot or two and the rest of the night with a red bull.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    To me, it looked like he was walking from the bars in any downtown area. I used to live in downtown Indy and would hit the bars/restaurants and then walk 6-7 blocks home late at night. However, I don't know (Richmond, VA) that city very well nor the area he was in.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Obviously premeditated by the sounds of joy the cameraman was making knowing they were going to be beating down that lone white guy that was obviously trying to get out of there ASAP. I guess being from small cowtown USA, I just don't understand gang mentality and the constant lust for violence and why people put themselves in these predicaments is beyond me.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009

ill admit i got lost on this post. are you using a real world example or a hypothetical situation.
    is the example(s) you are using more than one situation?

some people when they get drunk enough loose their moral compass. i dont really know how that happens.
    when i get skunk drunk the seldom amount of times i do, i dont suddenly have a different outlook on life, or make decisions based on a different set off rules. never knocked someone up b/c "had no idea what i was doing" or anything like that.

the difference for me would be the length of time required to line up the sights :D

and also, in the example posted, if i came across a situation of other people engaged in some kind of spat, sober or not, without knowing the start of the situation, pulling and fireing my gun would certainly not be first choice.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Obviously premeditated by the sounds of joy the cameraman was making knowing they were going to be beating down that lone white guy that was obviously trying to get out of there ASAP. I guess being from small cowtown USA, I just don't understand gang mentality and the constant lust for violence and why people put themselves in these predicaments is beyond me.
    this.
    i couldnt believe how much joy/pride they seemed to take away from this.

i tried to watch it a second time to see how the first strike went down. i couldnt even watch it a second time.

the sight and particularly the sound of the guy getting hit in the head made my stomach turn. this was not hollywood. that guy was gettin it.

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These videos **** me off. Who is the P.O.S recording this? And how can they live with themselves? If I walked up on this :ar15:no more scumbags. I am glad there are still a few people left in our society that will stand up to protect their fellow citizen. Last night the girlfriend and I were leaving northside walmart in muncie around midnight. As we walk out we hear a girl screaming for what seems like her life. Obviously set our bags in the car and head over there quickly, but before I can get there a guy who was closer pulled the guy off of her and slammed him to the ground allowing the escape of the girl. The guys claims he had a "good reason" to be hitting his girlfriend. Bull**** is what I was thinking and what the other guy said to him. So I give the guy who helped the girl get away a +2. One for helping the female escape and one for slamming that punk to the ground. :yesway:

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    I wish that video had ended with that guy shooting a few of them. Then we could see the news clips of the scumbags mothers crying about their babies getting shot.

Top Bottom