What happens when you leave your carry gun at home "because I was going to a bar"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schwartzki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yikes, while I always maintain control while drinking, but I do not take my firearm with me into bars. This makes me want to reassess that but, there are many people in bars that should not be around guns even when they are sober. A jury doesn't know one person from the rest and wont view it the same. Luckily I never go to bars alone or in bad areas of town not that it would stop it from happening.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This very subject does come up on here every so often. You can do what you want. I always carry, if I did carry to a bar I would not be drinking, period. Alcohol and guns do not mix, period. If I were to be in position where I were to have just one, I would not carry. Even if you are in a good shoot your judgment comes into question. Not worth the risk. Never carry and drink. By the way I don't drink and drive either.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    That's exactly what I got from this video. My G19 would have been a lot bigger comfort to me than any similar sized 8 or 9 shot .45 pistol.

I didn't mean to disparage revolvers or subcompact semis. It was targeted more toward people who want to pass laws against hi-cap mags. (Although it works for both groups, I guess.)

Just last week, my dad (a staunch conservative) asked me why anyone would need more than 6 rounds. I'm considering showing him this video.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Anybody got a legitimate story to post about a good self defense shooting that resulted in a prosecution of a good guy, simply because he had a couple of drinks? Preferably an Indiana case, since that's where we are.

I doubt anyone will find a case like that. But even if they do.....I'll still take my chances. The slabs in the morgue look less comfortable than the chairs in a courtroom or even the bunk in a cell.

+1.

Exactly.

the cops/prosecutor won't decide that they will charge you for an otherwise good shoot just because you have been drinking. If it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot at 0.0 BAC or .03 BAC or etc.

The only argument that one could make for not drinking while carrying is that your judgement MAY be impaired making you think that a bad shoot is actually a good shoot. But it's still a BAD shoot not a good one. Alcohol DOESN'T magically turn a good shoot into a bad shoot.

reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    in my opinion, no matter if i have had a drink or not, if i was jumped by several individuals there are gonna be several dead punk Motherf***ers dead on the ground and im gonna not feel any regret from ridding the world of some of its scum. Videos like this upset me because these people who did this are so proud of the fact that they beat this guy in a several on one match. Bunch of P***y's who cant fight there own fights one on one. I guess im old school cause i believe you fight one on one and you fight until there is no threat and leave. I hope all those punks got justice in the end.:twocents:

Last edited:

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    There's no better place to assault people than near a bar where they will most likely be impaired to some degree. I carried just last weekend when I went with some friends to J.K O'Donnel's in downtown Fort Wayne. I had about a beer and a half over about an hour and a half, so nothing to worry about if some scumbags try to start something. My only worry would've been that I left my two 8rd mags (high cap for the PPS) at home and only had one extra six shot. I fixed that problem the other day with a Fobus double mag holster.:rockwoot:

Isn't there a statute that says you WILL NOT be legally pursued for any reason after a genuine self-defense shooting? Even if you're wasted it has nothing to do with whether or not the shoot was good.

I wouldn't be afraid of doing anything stupid, just of possibly misjudging a situation and hurting someone who wasn't actually threatening myself or others (or maybe putting that poor soul out of his misery on the karaoke stage).

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Just appreciate the laws that support your right to carry a handgun here in Indiana.

In Virginia, where this happened, and many other states, it is against the law to carry a firearm into ANY place that has a license to serve alcohol. This means if you go to Pizza Hut you would be breaking the law if you had a firearm.

When will the law makers wake up. Gun free zones do not work.

If you travel beware of the law in other states.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Just appreciate the laws that support your right to carry a handgun here in Indiana.

In Virginia, where this happened, and many other states, it is against the law to carry a firearm into ANY place that has a license to serve alcohol. This means if you go to Pizza Hut you would be breaking the law if you had a firearm.

I assume since the way this was written, this is not the case in Indiana?

Can anyone better than myself at the legals confirm?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I assume since the way this was written, this is not the case in Indiana?

Can anyone better than myself at the legals confirm?

HELL YES you can carry in a bar. I wouldn't walk into a bar unarmed.

If you use your gun for self defense is there any law that says you have to submit to a BAC test?

No. But if you are involved in a self-defense shooting, shut your mouth immediately and talk to nobody but your lawyer. Don't talk and don't blow. Read the threads about What to do after you shoot someone.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I believe that Indiana law is silent about carrying in establishments that serve alcohol. Other states, like VA, specifically make this unlawful.

I thought there was a code that had verbage about being intoxicated and having a firearm but I can't seem to find that now.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I believe that Indiana law is silent about carrying in establishments that serve alcohol. Other states, like VA, specifically make this unlawful.

I thought there was a code that had verbage about being intoxicated and having a firearm but I can't seem to find that now.

Every state is different about carrying into bars or places that serve alcohol for consumption on premises.

Indiana is silent on carry in a bar or night club, meaning it is legal.

Florida has a 50% rule. If the establishment derives more than 50% of it's total income from the sale of alcohol you cannot carry in it.

Some places it it simply illegal to carry into the "bar portion" of that establishment, not the rest of the premises. Similar to Indiana's law on minors being able to go into applebees but not into the "bar portion".

You'd have to check each and every state laws you were planning on carrying in.

There is no maximum BAC when carrying in Indiana. You would still be subject to public intoxication obviously. In Michigan it is illegal to carry when you've been drinking, I believe there is a BAC associated with it, but I don't recall the level.

Again, every state is a bit different.

The beauty of Indiana is we can point to 100+ years of carry when drinking and carry in a bar (with a LTCH) and show that the idiots who say "guns and alcohol don't mix" are full of horse poop. A holstered firearm in a bar or on a law abiding person who has had a drink or two isn't a threat to anyone except a would be assailant.

Idiots and guns don't mix. Alcohol is an easy cop-out for those who refuse to take personal responsibility.

panderson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was just sitting down to write about this very topic. I was in a bar the other day when a girl I was with noticed that someone sitting a couple seats from us had a gun. I told her that its his right as a license carrying gun owner and the bar doesnt even have the right to check for his license. The worse they can do is ask him to leave. So I went over to ask him what he was carrying (Kimber 1911 btw) and just have a general gun discussion. He was very friendly, but I did notice the large quantity of alcohol the he was consuming while there. He began to get hammered and his demeanor changed. He asked me, "Why dont you carry at the bar?" I pointed at all the shots he had lined up and said "You have your reason right there." Then I kindly walked away. Guns and alcohol don't mix. :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What the hell is the "ZZZZZZZZ" part about?

When he was knocked out, he started snoring. Apparently it's pretty common. I got knocked out in a bar fight many years ago and my friends who were with me told me I immediately started snoring. Woke up on the way to the hospital.

Top Bottom