th

th

th

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    swords, knives, axes, tomahawks, hatchets, pipes, wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, crowbars, batons, boken, bo staff, bowie knives, machetes, bow and arrow are all some good options. Though I would have to go with a homemade weapon I call a spearonata; It's basically an improvised naginata on one end with a 6.5 in. knife blade sticking out the other end, it stands 5 ft. overall, and then some throwing weapons like hatchet or tomahawk or throwing stick.

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Surprised I didn't see more people list bows of one type or another. I'd have to go with either my crossbow or an old fiberglass longbow that has been around my family forever. If it had to come down to hand to hand would have to go with either my RTAK or Ka-bar otherwise improvise with an axe or whatever tool I had around at the time.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I am good with a sling shot , have lots of marbles , and steel ball bearings for it .Also compound bow with hunting tips,And a good baseball bat for head shots.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a ASP, pepper spray and a ESEE 4. I've actually used the ASP several times (while working security) when a non lethal solution was required. Got to be darn careful, they can very quickly become a lethal solution.

If I have shot thousands of attackers, expelled all of my ammunition, and am not forced to defend myself against another wave of another thousand or so I would rather use lethal force with my baton. It would be a pita to have to keep the ones already struck at bay while taking down thousands more. You guys have some crazy fantasies.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    So lethal force is always the proper action? Thanks - I will write that down.

Me and my silly fantasies.

If I was to fantasize that I was in some sort of SHTF situation and I had run out of ammo defending myself I would also fantasize that I would take down the rest of the attacking heathens with my baton. One strike to each of them with a lethal blow with my baton, battle axe, sledge hammer, 2x4, large pipe wrench, or whatever else I might be carrying for backup in preparation for the battle knowing I am running out of ammo and lest they recover and I have to expel the energy to slap them down again.

If you wish to dream that you will run out of ammo and than will switch to less lethal force be my guest. This is really a pretty silly argument, isn't it? I watched the Alamo and Jim Bowie got one last bad guy with his legendary knife. Id say he would have got a few dozen more if he had more ammo rather than the knife. Are you so short of ammo that you really think you are going to run out? If so I suggest you buy more ammo rather than a baton.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If I was to fantasize that I was in some sort of SHTF situation and I had run out of ammo defending myself I would also fantasize that I would take down the rest of the attacking heathens with my baton. One strike to each of them with a lethal blow with my baton, battle axe, sledge hammer, 2x4, large pipe wrench, or whatever else I might be carrying for backup in preparation for the battle knowing I am running out of ammo and lest they recover and I have to expel the energy to slap them down again.

If you wish to dream that you will run out of ammo and than will switch to less lethal force be my guest. This is really a pretty silly argument, isn't it? I watched the Alamo and Jim Bowie got one last bad guy with his legendary knife. Id say he would have got a few dozen more if he had more ammo rather than the knife. Are you so short of ammo that you really think you are going to run out? If so I suggest you buy more ammo rather than a baton.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but the SHTF scenario that most of us consider is the long-term one. One need not be fighting off zombie hordes to run out of ammunition; especially if one is forced out of one's home and enroute to a BOL on foot. To use your own bit of hyperbole, how much ammo do you plan to carry on your person, Rambo? While knives are my backup weapon-of-choice (you don't run out of bullets with a knife), I'd consider longer-ranged alternatives, such as slings, blowguns, or even a quarterstaff in an emergency. These offer the capability of improvised ammunition - if they need ammunition. Preparing for catastrophic conditions is largely a matter of attempting to foresee needs and having various alternatives either in hand or in mind to meet those needs. When it comes to defensive needs, we really shouldn't limit ourselves to total reliance on firearms and ammunition.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I understand the point you're trying to make, but the SHTF scenario that most of us consider is the long-term one. One need not be fighting off zombie hordes to run out of ammunition; especially if one is forced out of one's home and enroute to a BOL on foot. To use your own bit of hyperbole, how much ammo do you plan to carry on your person, Rambo? While knives are my backup weapon-of-choice (you don't run out of bullets with a knife), I'd consider longer-ranged alternatives, such as slings, blowguns, or even a quarterstaff in an emergency. These offer the capability of improvised ammunition - if they need ammunition. Preparing for catastrophic conditions is largely a matter of attempting to foresee needs and having various alternatives either in hand or in mind to meet those needs. When it comes to defensive needs, we really shouldn't limit ourselves to total reliance on firearms and ammunition.

and its to this end that I zero for 100yds (although I have been reading a bit about the 36yd zero) as I figure anything over that distance I will be doing my best to avoid like the plague.

also, I always laugh at those guys with K's of ammo, How in the Blue F are you gonna carry all that? im thinking 300 rds (6 mags in vest, 1 in rifle) plus 5 mags of 9mm (4 on vest, 1 in gun) plus a 22Lr with about 1-1.5k rounds ought to last a long time.

I also figure to carry NATO rounds only. i.e. 556, 762x39 and 9mm. I am avoiding 45acp, 40SW, 380acp etc as I figure if needed, that ammo type will come to me more readily than say some oddball crap like 32, 300 black out, 50AE, 38/357, 44.

remember, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I forgot about the bayonet for my FR-8. Its pretty sharp.

Now for the blatant thread hijack: What semi-auto rifle would you want to have if all of your magazines were suddenly lost?

Answer: M1 Garand. Because it doesn't use magazines and is easily single loaded. Try that with any other rifle with no internal magazine.....

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I made up a couple of wood 'stick' weapons for my mother-in-law. I took a 1" x 48" doll rod and ground down one end into a 6" 'blade' with a sharp point for her to use to defend herself in her bedroom. Over the doors, she can lay in two 2"x4" placed at the 1/3rd up and down portions of her bedroom door, over two brackets that are bolted outside the door frame into the studs. The stick is in case someone gets into the house and tries to kick through her door...she can poke / stab the individual as they try to come through. She has two of these...one for primary and one as a back up! I doubt anyone will continue to try and come through her door after being stabbed with one in the leg or side. She keeps her cell phone in her bedroom so she can call 9-1-1 and let them listen to the attack while the cops are en-route!

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013

None of us are "Fantasizing" about ways to hurt people with weapons, it's not a "Fantasy" that people run out of ammo. I also don't think any of us are "Fantasizing" about being in a SHTF situation, running out of ammo, AND THEN having to resort to other means to hurt someone, we are not that disturbed. It' a matter of what would I do if? It's no different than martial arts, no REAL martial artist wants to hurt others, or even have to forcefully defend themselves from an attack. Yet we train, because it is a matter of what if? The same thing with gun training honestly, it's all about what if? Not fantasizing about shooting or hurting people.

Some good points also. One can only carry so much, and one only has so much.

Top Bottom