• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’ve seen scattered reports of feeding issues with the Hornady Critical Defense. People claim it’s the rubber/polymer tip on the bullet getting caught on the feed ramp. I’ve shot them in several guns, and not had this issue, although it’s always in the back of my mind still lol :-/ You could try putting marker or something on the tip and seeing if it leaves any marks anywhere to see if that is in fact what’s causing your issues.
    What’s this “feed ramp” you speak of?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’ve seen scattered reports of feeding issues with the Hornady Critical Defense. People claim it’s the rubber/polymer tip on the bullet getting caught on the feed ramp. I’ve shot them in several guns, and not had this issue, although it’s always in the back of my mind still lol :-/ You could try putting marker or something on the tip and manually cycling a few rounds to see if it leaves any marks anywhere to see if that is in fact what’s causing your issues.
    I wonder if it isn't a lack of break in?
    My Shield has a lot of rounds through it. I haven't had a problem with any HP ammunition so far.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    LCP .380 Underwood 68 Defender
    20200310_002005.jpg
    G19 9mm Magtech 95 JSP

G17 9mm Gold Dot 124
    1625979506313.jpg
    In the LCP I have tested those “screwdriver” solid copper underwood loads on water jugs and it’s really impressive! Good penetration and tissue disruption. Especially when compared to FMJ

My G19 I wanted to keep light as possible. Odd as it may sound, the 95 grain rounds are noticeably lighter and don’t weight my pants down much. Shoots like a hot round despite being standard pressure. These have less tissue disruption than normal JHP but quite a bit more penetration. Performance on jugs was decent. Accuracy was excellent! Only down side is the lack of availability.

Love the 124 gold dots because of the cost and availability! Noticeably heavier and harder recoil than the 95s. No issue since that G17 is a vehicle gun.

A PSA for everyone… PLEASE change out your carry ammo every year! I have personally experienced ammo degradation during my time as an armorer. We used 124 Winchester NATO loads that got carried all year round, 24/7, hot / cold. That specific ammo would get used up at our qualification shoots. It produced more failures was than when we would crack open a new can of ammo. Another point to why ammo availability is a big deal to me. Find what works and stack up.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I’ve seen scattered reports of feeding issues with the Hornady Critical Defense. People claim it’s the rubber/polymer tip on the bullet getting caught on the feed ramp. I’ve shot them in several guns, and not had this issue, although it’s always in the back of my mind still lol :-/ You could try putting marker or something on the tip and manually cycling a few rounds to see if it leaves any marks anywhere to see if that is in fact what’s causing your issues.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen that about the plug too. I did have some 9mm CD for other Shield ran fine. Traded it off to a friend who wanted it, all HST now.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    For my 9mm’s 147 HST, Gold Dot or 135 Critical Duty

45’s 230 HST or any 230 JHP

My 38’s 4” Barrel 125-140 JHP or 158 LSWC HP 2” snubby 148 Full Wadcutter

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In 9mm - I prefer CorBon 115 grain JHP, especially in shorter-barreled pistols such as the Glock 26.
    In .38 Special - I prefer standard-pressure Hornady's 158 grain XTP JHP for just about everything.
    In .40 S&W - I prefer Fiocchi 155 grain JHP - for the accuracy - especially in a shorter-barreled Glock 27.
    In .357 Magnum - I prefer Corbon 110 grain JHP in S&W Air-Weight snubbies and tend to use 158 or 180 grain JHP's in everything else.
    In .45 ACP - I prefer Remington Golden Sabre 185 grain JHP in the shorter-barreled Glock 36 as it shoots best, both for accuracy as well as has a somewhat milder felt-recoil!
    It's not a complete round-up, that's for sure, and there is lots of 'good' ammunition available out there (Speed Gold Dots, Federal HST's, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester PDX-1's, etc.), but I tend to try to shoot a variety of different manufacturer's ammo, and grains of ammo, to see which shoots best for each pistol, and then tend to stick with that for each particular pistol.

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In 9mm - I prefer CorBon 115 grain JHP, especially in shorter-barreled pistols such as the Glock 26.
    In .38 Special - I prefer standard-pressure Hornady's 158 grain XTP JHP for just about everything.
    In .40 S&W - I prefer Fiocchi 155 grain JHP - for the accuracy - especially in a shorter-barreled Glock 27.
    In .357 Magnum - I prefer Corbon 110 grain JHP in S&W Air-Weight snubbies and tend to use 158 or 180 grain JHP's in everything else.
    In .45 ACP - I prefer Remington Golden Sabre 185 grain JHP in the shorter-barreled Glock 36 as it shoots best, both for accuracy as well as has a somewhat milder felt-recoil!
    It's not a complete round-up, that's for sure, and there is lots of 'good' ammunition available out there (Speed Gold Dots, Federal HST's, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester PDX-1's, etc.), but I tend to try to shoot a variety of different manufacturer's ammo, and grains of ammo, to see which shoots best for each pistol, and then tend to stick with that for each particular pistol.
    Thanks for the input. It got me thinking and I don't think I've tried Fiocchi pistol ammo just shells. Gonna definitely try those

Top Bottom