• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’ve seen scattered reports of feeding issues with the Hornady Critical Defense. People claim it’s the rubber/polymer tip on the bullet getting caught on the feed ramp. I’ve shot them in several guns, and not had this issue, although it’s always in the back of my mind still lol :-/ You could try putting marker or something on the tip and manually cycling a few rounds to see if it leaves any marks anywhere to see if that is in fact what’s causing your issues.
    I just did another test with a magazine of 185gr Hornady CD, and a magazine of 230gr Hornady XTP in my Shield 45.
    185gr avg 894fps 328 ft lbs of energy at 12'
    230gr avg 777fps 308 ft lbs of energy at 12'
    Both ran with no problems.
    In November i shoot up or store my carry ammunition and buy or load fresh. I've got 185gr GD for the 45acp, 200gr XTP for the 10mm, and since I don't have anymore Hydra Shok bullets for my 9mm I'll probably buy HST or Gold Dot in 124gr or 147gr flavor for the coming year.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thanks for the input. It got me thinking and I don't think I've tried Fiocchi pistol ammo just shells. Gonna definitely try those.

I've just found that the fiocchi is more accurate out of the Glock 22 and 27 and has a moderate felt-recoil...plus, it seems to be more readily available online.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    In my younger days, I carried Winchester Silver Tips in my EDC pistols. But after trying several different options. I landed on Hornaday Critical Defense for my 9mm, .380 and .25acp.

Back when Hornaday was selling the Zombie Max variant of their Critical Defense rounds, I got several boxes of both .380 and 9mm really cheap. So, I've got them loaded up in my spare magazines. It is my understanding that they work equally well on the living as they do on the dead.

ul3o1q4.jpg

ETA: Just a note. Although a neat picture, I don't carry the Mauser HSc. It won't cycle anything except standard ball ammo. I bought it on a whim, as an alternative to my Walther PPK. It turns out to not be nearly as reliable and concealable as the PPK.

Last edited:

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I usually carry my Colt Cobra .38 mostly, but on occasion carry some others.

For .38 special: Buffalo Bore Heavy 158g SWCHP 1000 fps
    For .357 mag w/4" barrel: Underwood 158g JHP 1500 fps
    For 9mm Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P JHP 1150 fps

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another bullet I've been watching is the V Crown by Sierra bullets. Loaded in Sig ammunition. They seem to preform well at different velocities. No real world reports on them yet. Just judging how they preform in ballistic gel and how other quality HP bullets do.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    It depends on the gun and a lot of times on what an individual gun likes for reliability. I have an HK P9s I bought a while back that so far has ONLY fed FMJ and Critical Defense. It chokes on every other HP I have tried in it for some reason. Not an EDC, but I do like to have SD options even for collector pieces and range toys. Strangely the dirt cheap RP9 I bought a while back feeds Barnes TAC XPD ammo like crap through a goose but jams on FMJ. I don't shoot it much...

Most of my full size guns I go with Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Sig V-Crown ammo in 124 grain. A few years ago Recoil Gunworks in Southern IN had a lot of PD trade in HST and Gold Dots for about 60 cents each, I grabbed several hundred. Sig V-Crown is also about the cheapest premium ammo when it is on sale, especially at Cabelas.

And found a good sale on Sierra V-Crown components, got a thousand of those too. Those aren't for EDC, those are for testing feeding in a new gun and if TSHTF, "War Reserve" basically... While V-Crown may not have many actual shootings to recommend it, as DadSmith says they do a hell of a number on gel.

The smaller ones usually get Critical Defense, most loads a are bit lighter than the other premium HPs. Back when the Zombie Max version was going for several bucks less per box I grabbed some of those for feed testing as well. Same as their regular CD just a green insert in the HP instead of red.

MrNewVegas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Another bullet I've been watching is the V Crown by Sierra bullets. Loaded in Sig ammunition. They seem to preform well at different velocities. No real world reports on them yet. Just judging how they preform in ballistic gel and how other quality HP bullets do.
    Never heard of them till now will keep an eye out

Top Bottom