Why all the love for the mosin-nagant . I hate them!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why is there so much love for these horrible guns. I myself got lured in years ago only to be disappointed. I hear all the tales of it being a 300 yard gun only to hear excuses on range day from the proud owners. I'm sure I will get flamed for this thread so my extinguisher is handy. I know that during the war they were used with some success, help me understand

I love them because you hate them. :cool:

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    MN_whitefront_op_554x233.jpg

Meet my friend IVAN.
    Firearms Philosophy of Ivan Chesnokov

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The first time you shoot a carbine at dusk and witness the massive boom and fireball, you will be hooked. At least I was :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    So I'm guessing you wouldn't get one of these Mosin Nagant kits then? ;)

MN_whitefront_op_554x233.jpg

True story... I know someone who picked up a 91/30 last week specifically for putting that bullpup stock on it. He cleaned off all the cosmo and took it shooting. Not sure if shooting it a few more times will change his mind before he orders the bullpup kit.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sorry. I refuse to use these things.

I know they are cheap, but I can't bring myself to own a piece of communist crap.

I can't stand that they were given to troops that were treated like cannon fodder.
    I can't stand the fact that they were used as oppressive tools. Even with fighting Germany they oppressed the lands they took back from Germany.

The same reason I can't stand AKs, SKSs, etc etc. The price on them is cheap, that is the only reason people like them. It's replacement gets NO attention (The SVD) because it's expensive and no one wants to pony up that much for combloc crap.

Don't be a communist heathen!

aH... Love the closed mindedness of some. Well, I guess some people are just not meant to be happy.

I'd like a carbine personally, just for giggles. I can't stand the length of the monster rifles though. They look so.... ungainly.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sorry. I refuse to use these things.

I know they are cheap, but I can't bring myself to own a piece of communist crap.

I can't stand that they were given to troops that were treated like cannon fodder.
    I can't stand the fact that they were used as oppressive tools. Even with fighting Germany they oppressed the lands they took back from Germany.

The same reason I can't stand AKs, SKSs, etc etc. The price on them is cheap, that is the only reason people like them. It's replacement gets NO attention (The SVD) because it's expensive and no one wants to pony up that much for combloc crap.

Don't be a communist heathen!

Wow!

I consider myself a Libertarian if anything. I guess I'll have to go rethink my life for owning a dozen or so Mosin Nagant rifles.

Remember, it is the person that does evil and oppresses their brothers and sisters. Not inanimate objects.

Do you own any Chinese made goods?

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    pretty sure my beretta is not plastic nor my shotguns...i dont mind polymer...would rather have a glock than a mosin..thats for sure:rolleyes:
    I guess if you like only plastic guns then you are deverse, but there is more to gun collecting than AR's and Glocks. :rolleyes:

I have AK's, AR's, Mausers,Enfields, handguns, shotguns, even a couple of drop blocks.

P.S. and Zero Glocks! ;)

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    pretty sure my beretta is not plastic nor my shotguns...i dont mind polymer...would rather have a glock than a mosin..thats for sure:rolleyes:

You wouldn't have to roll your eyes so much if you didn't treat the guy like ass for owning a ton of Mosin's. We get it, you wouldn't. He does. Different strokes for different folks.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The Mosin Nagant is an amazing piece of WWll history. That's what attracted me to it in the first place. Secondly, I could not only appreciate it, I could afford to own it! And thirdly, it is an operable piece of WWll history that remains operable today.
    Of my historic firearms, it conjures up many of the same thoughts and feelings when I am firing it, as do My M1 Carbine, and my wifes Remington-Rand 1911, USGI guns.
    I try to bring them all out on days like Memorial Day and Veterans Day, etc. in order for my wife and I to remember, and honor our departed WWll veteran fathers, and the battles which they and the Allies fought.
    So you see, for me, my Mosin ownership has less to do with accuracy, aesthetics, cheap shooting, and smoothness of operation, and more to do with the thoughts in which I immerse myself while shooting it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    T
    I try to bring them all out on days like Memorial Day and Veterans Day, etc. in order for my wife and I to remember, and honor our departed WWll veteran fathers, and the battles which they and the Allies fought.
    So you see, for me, my Mosin ownership has less to do with accuracy, aesthetics, cheap shooting, and smoothness of operation, and more to do with the thoughts in which I immerse myself while shooting it.

Sometimes when I pull the trigger on mine, I think:"man, how did my dad take a bullet from one of these through his neck! And live! I always knew he was tough!"

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I know I have seen countless people dump tons of cash into these turds to still have a turd in the end. The last one I saw at my club a guy dumped over three hundred into smithing and it still didnt shoot well in the least bit. I told the guy he would have been way better off buying a Savage of some kind. Now he has an expensive boat anchor.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They are alright. I owned one for a short time, was not overly impressed with it. I would rather have a Mauser, 1903, or an Enfield. Sure they cost more, but they are a much better rifle in my opinion.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If only some of them cost $100.00, I have 6 snipers ( yes legit snipers not the repro CIA models) each worth between $800.00 - $2500.00 so no its not about the $100.00 refurb. as for broadening my horizions I have close to 130 firearms in my collection so that isn't an issue.

As for my wife, she loves it, she enjoys them as much as I do, she has about a dozen of her own firearms, but I guess from your comments you can't say the same.........

sorry about your luck.

:rockwoot:

I don't have nearly as many as you but more than half, don't have any of the Sniper models but would really like to own one. I do have a few standard 91/30's an older 1891, an SVD-40 Tokorov etc. and really think they are an important piece of history. The op that hates them probably really likes the plastic guns that will fall apart in a few years! Each to his own. If SHTF, I would guarantee a lot of people would really like a Mosin, as they will function (like a 1911) when the mud is deep and the range needed is 300 yards + When there is no gunsmith to fix the finicky AR's, and the .223 is too weak to punch a wall. Besides the Mosins are not an inaccurate weapon for a military rifle. I also have a Garand and M1 carbine, Ak's, SKS's and a few Mausers - none will win any LR contests - but the damn things really work. I have an LR 308 I am hoping will be an accurate long range rifle, also a Rem 700BDL .243, but if my life depended on it, I might turn to the AK, SKS, Mosin, TOK or Garand. :ar15:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have a cheap $99 Mosin. It shoots nearly MOA. I use 6" southwest Kentucky Windage on it though lol. Someday I'm going to get those sights adjusted... But it kicks like Mule. It's a beautiful gun though, and one of my favorites for show and tell, but not to plink with.

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    I can't stand the fact that they were used as oppressive tools.

That's the story of every gun to ever be issued by a government. M16/M4 included. By that logic you shouldn't own any guns.

Interesting note - there were a few Mosins that were manufactured by Remington and issued to American troops as well.

I couldn't justify dumping money in to having a pimped out Mosin but honestly, there's no real reason I can see to not get one. I plan on getting a couple myself eventually but they're low on my wish list.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    It's replacement gets NO attention (The SVD) because it's expensive and no one wants to pony up that much for combloc crap.

This part of your post made me laugh. You do realize these are very rare in the US, correct? Are you also aware that nearly every SVD on gunbroker has at least one bid on it, no matter the condition? If the SVD was imported in droves like the Mosin it would be just as popular if not a little more.

By your reasoning, why would anyone own a Glock? I mean they were designed by an Austrian, in Austria, in a former part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. You do realize that Austria-Hungary oppressed many smaller nations while acquiring territory and also played a large part in starting World War I? Many citizens of the Austria-Hungarian empire were used as cannon fodder in the war.

I can't stand Glocks because I know Gaston Glock's ancestors started a war that killed millions of men including thousands of Americans.

Don't be a Constitutional Monarchic heathen!

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    This part of your post made me laugh. You do realize these are very rare in the US, correct? Are you also aware that nearly every SVD on gunbroker has at least one bid on it, no matter the condition? If the SVD was imported in droves like the Mosin it would be just as popular if not a little more.

By your reasoning, why would anyone own a Glock? I mean they were designed by an Austrian, in Austria, in a former part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. You do realize that Austria-Hungary oppressed many smaller nations while acquiring territory and also played a large part in starting World War I? Many citizens of the Austria-Hungarian empire were used as cannon fodder in the war.

I can't stand Glocks because I know Gaston Glock's ancestors started a war that killed millions of men including thousands of Americans.

Don't be a Constitutional Monarchic heathen!

I'd LOVE to have the cash for an SVD. It's on my "list" of must haves.

Top Bottom