Why all the love for the mosin-nagant . I hate them!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Sorry. I refuse to use these things.

I know they are cheap, but I can't bring myself to own a piece of communist crap.

Yeah, they're the current cheap-o. Wasn't all that long ago that Enfields, 03's, Krags, and Mausers were the then current cheapo.

I can't stand that they were given to troops that were treated like cannon fodder.

Basically the same as every other nation's infantry at least through WWI.

I can't stand the fact that they were used as oppressive tools. Even with fighting Germany they oppressed the lands they took back from Germany.

And the Germans, British, Italians, and yes, even Americans at times, didn't oppress anybody they conquered? And in some cases, even their own population?

The same reason I can't stand AKs, SKSs, etc etc. The price on them is cheap, that is the only reason people like them. It's replacement gets NO attention (The SVD) because it's expensive and no one wants to pony up that much for combloc crap.

Yeah, they're cheap, price-wise but they also work. Also, true SVDs haven't been allowed to be imported for years, otherwise they'd be a heck of a lot cheaper also.

Don't be a communist heathen!

They're also trophies of our victory over the Soviet Union in the cold war. If the outcome had been different, a draw or worse, do you think you could go down to any gun shop and pick one up for a C note? Nope, they'd still be in a salt mine waiting for the Soviet Union's next war.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a couple and shoot them on occasion. Very cheap, fun historic rifles. Cool looking with the bayonet attached. Recoil is about the same as my Rossi .44 mag.

Dave

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    The trigger on mine in rather mushy, but I disregard that when I remember that I bought it for double digits! I got a good unissued one, so It's almost like having a new gun...kinda...

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I got mine out just to give her some love. It's not stock. (obviously) In fact, it's quite the polished turd, but it's still a Mosin. How can you not love these things. I'd like to pick up another one just to leave alone.

modifiedmosin.jpg

...I still have a PU Sniper on my wishlist too

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The Finn's never, I repeat Never produced a single MN reciever,which we all know is what makes a gun a gun, ( just ask the ATF) and they also fielded a large number of bought and capatured M91's, Dragoons, 91/30's, ect, so due you still like Finnish MN's.

P.S. you do know that a large number of MN's where produced before 1917 don't you.

Not to mention a very large percentage of the smaller parts in the Finn versions were also of Russian/Soviet origin.

I grew up with Russian missiles pointed at me. I don't soon forget that.

Try sleeping 12 miles from 6500 Soviet troops of the 6th Guards Army, knowing you were under 24 hour surveillance by their forward observers. Or having an AKM pointed in a little closer than general direction in the hands of an East German or Soviet on a regular basis, as well as the missiles. I did for 5 years.

Me to, but my arms aren't long enough..............;)

You mean you're not Stretch Armstrong?:D

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    The biggest problem with Mosins is that 95% of them are not properly or thoroughly cleaned

* "sticky bolt" is caused by cosmoline caked in the nooks and cranny of the action that most don't bother to clean. There are numerous instructional videos on how to solve this.

* "inaccuracy" is mostly user error. The sights are not calibrated for the 'bullseye' style shooting most in the US are taught or used to using, but rather for a combat hold. It shoots 8" high at 100 yards so that it hits on at 300. It is a 'point and shoot' interface intended to give maximum point blank range. There are numerous instructionals on how to recalibrate the sights as well.

In the end, $100 and a little bit of time is all you need to end up with a pretty good military style shooter, or a base action for a build. Where can you get either of these for $100 anywhere else?

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    They'll let just anyone post here these days. What are you talking about? How can you not like the Mosin? ;)
    Seriously to each their own. I have a few. They're a hoot to shoot! (Not all day mind you that would kill my shoulder.) At the price I think everyone should have one or two. If you don't like it you can always send it my way.....

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I love mine and the history that goes with it. 1929 Ex Dragoon and am sure I will end up with more. Fun to shoot but I wussed out and put the rubber pad on the stock. Well worth it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have to agree with the OP. I've owned one for about 10yrs, probably haven't shot it in 5. I bet I haven't shot it 50 times. I'd rather shoot the M1, M1A or the AR

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have to agree with the OP. I've owned one for about 10yrs, probably haven't shot it in 5. I bet I haven't shot it 50 times. I'd rather shoot the M1, M1A or the AR
    Out of curiosity what did you pay for it? Just trying to get an idea if they are keeping up with inflation.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    The recoil from a Mosin is a rite of passage :twocents:

How can you not have fun with a Mosin?

I put a hole in a quarter at 50yds with one. once I figured out where it was hitting, I could have hit anything. What's so wrong about adapting? IMO it's not as fun to just sit and hit the same hole over and over without putting much effort into it. That's not the point of a Mosin anyway.

ssdoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    auburn
    A buddy of mine bought one about two years ago . Then he bought 440 rnds. of ammo for it and I laughed at him . Well after two years he still has 430 rnds.

Top Bottom