Why all the love for the mosin-nagant . I hate them!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have no issue with Finnish or American mosins. As with any other rifle made by the free world. (it's pretty funny that the Finns turned a lot of the Russian tech BACK on the Russians)

I have issues with red communist rifles. And I am not a Glock Hater..

As far as the SVD, the people that love it are just as nuts at the Mosin lovers. They are just much fewer in number.

I will say the Russians had the right idea. We were stupid to have been throwing M14s in storage bins just as they were rolling out SVDs in the Marksman role it took us until the war on terror to realize our mistake.

Ohh and I don't go to Wall Mart ether

I grew up with Russian missiles pointed at me. I don't soon forget that.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I have no issue with Finnish or American mosins. As with any other rifle made by the free world.

As far as the SVD, the people that love it are just as nuts at the Mosin lovers. They are just much fewer in number.

I will say the Russians had the right idea. We were stupid to have been throwing M14s in storage bins just as they were rolling out SVDs in the Marksman role it took us until the war on terror to realize our mistake.

Geez, of all the ____ vs. ____ arguments I've seen, this one takes the cake in terms of irrational thought. I guess you don't like WWII Nazi weapons either? Maybe we shouldn't collect those pieces of history as well.

EDIT: Or Japanese weapons, British weapons, Italian weapons, or heck any weapon being used by the Iraqi or Afghani people?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Sorry. I refuse to use these things.

I know they are cheap, but I can't bring myself to own a piece of communist crap.

I can't stand that they were given to troops that were treated like cannon fodder.
    I can't stand the fact that they were used as oppressive tools. Even with fighting Germany they oppressed the lands they took back from Germany.

The same reason I can't stand AKs, SKSs, etc etc. The price on them is cheap, that is the only reason people like them. It's replacement gets NO attention (The SVD) because it's expensive and no one wants to pony up that much for combloc crap.

Don't be a communist heathen!
    Sounds a lot like something my uncle would say, but then....he fought most of those heathens you mentioned and probably has good reason to be so "set in his opinion."

I can't even get him to hold an AR even. He'll take a Colt 1911 or an M1 any day though.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Luger used by the reich. The only stuff I have an issue with is red bloc stuff.

As I said. I grew up with Russian missiles pointed at me. I don't soon forget that.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I have no issue with Finnish or American mosins. As with any other rifle made by the free world. (it's pretty funny that the Finns turned a lot of the Russian tech BACK on the Russians)

I grew up with Russian missiles pointed at me. I don't soon forget that.

The Finn's never, I repeat Never produced a single MN reciever,which we all know is what makes a gun a gun, ( just ask the ATF) and they also fielded a large number of bought and capatured M91's, Dragoons, 91/30's, ect, so due you still like Finnish MN's.

P.S. you do know that a large number of MN's where produced before 1917 don't you.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    News flash, everyone in the good old United States grew up that way

...under the age of 20, not so much. They just have no concept of the Cold War.

Anyhoo, I kind of like Mosins. For the money, they can be a fun historical weapon or a blank canvas on a budget. It just depends on whether you get one with a decent bore or not.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I know I have seen countless people dump tons of cash into these turds to still have a turd in the end. The last one I saw at my club a guy dumped over three hundred into smithing and it still didnt shoot well in the least bit. I told the guy he would have been way better off buying a Savage of some kind. Now he has an expensive boat anchor.

Maybe, just maybe he enjoyed tinkering with his mosin and didnt want to spend HIS money on a savage. Next time he wants to buy anything you should take him shopping and tell him what he needs to spend his money on :rolleyes:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent folks.
    Could have ended the thread right there!:yesway:

It is my belief that being happy with a gun purchase is as much about knowing who you are as it is knowing about the gun! The nice thing about purchasing an old gun is that, if you take the time to shop around and get a good deal, you should always be able to find somebody willing to pay you what you have in it.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I know I have seen countless people dump tons of cash into these turds to still have a turd in the end. The last one I saw at my club a guy dumped over three hundred into smithing and it still didnt shoot well in the least bit. I told the guy he would have been way better off buying a Savage of some kind. Now he has an expensive boat anchor.
    I have read a bit and watched a few videos on the topic of accurizing a Mosin and I do believe it is something I would like to try, but I wouldn't spend any money, to speak of, in the attempt. I would start by drying to air float the barrel, If that didn't make an accurate shooter out of it I would bed the barrel down and see it that helped. If that didn't work I would cut my losses, sell the gun for what I have in it and look for another!

It is my understanding the Russian snipers checked a number of guns out the armory and took them to the range to find out which one shot the best, then went to work on it. I do agree the paying a gunsmith to try to accurize a gun that shoots like a brick is silly!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

Anyhoo, I kind of like Mosins. For the money, they can be a fun historical weapon or a blank canvas on a budget. It just depends on whether you get one with a decent bore or not.
    From what I have read it is not just about the bore. Barrel "harmonics" have a lot to do with it. The problem is the MN is pretty hit or miss on whether it has good harmonic. It is my understanding that you really can't tell without shooting it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    So I'm guessing you wouldn't get one of these Mosin Nagant kits then? ;)

MN_whitefront_op_554x233.jpg

I would rather put my weiner through a meat grinder :laugh:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana

Yes they have little concept of the cold war but to think that Russia no longer has us in the crosshairs is naive, as we do them. Tenses have only eased because the USSR could no longer support the cost of competing militarily with the US and the system collapsed under the burden. Don't kid yourself though, Russia still has a formidable military, but now they have China as a bigger threat to them than we are.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I love my my (modified) Mosin. It's a reliable 1.5moa shooter. Everyone who's shot it loves it too. It's nasty accurate out to 500 yards. (i've not shot it any further)

Top Bottom