Why Are So Many Still Against Hemp / Marijuana ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As icky as it tastes to vindicate Kirk in anything *shudder* he's said it before at least as far back as 2011:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ussion/148182-should-marijuana-legalized.html

Yes, I searched. It'd have been more fun if I could have found Kirk saying "ITS THE DEVILS WEED!!!" but, unfortunately, facts support him on this one. I'm going to go scub my tongue with bleach now.

I guess I missed it. I've usually seen his more sarcastic, "It's only a plant!" comments. :):

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Legal weed means millions if not billions in lost profits to those that have supported the black market industry for the last century. They let it slip in Colorado...the next time will be a little more difficult.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Legal weed means millions if not billions in lost profits to those that have supported the black market industry for the last century. They let it slip in Colorado...the next time will be a little more difficult.

Privatized correctional facilities would be none too happy about it either. They also make a lot of money off the black market without having to get their hands dirty.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Privatized correctional facilities would be none too happy about it either. They also make a lot of money off the black market without having to get their hands dirty.

Indeed....just follow the money trail as it is today and you will see who the opposition is. From what I hear, state weed in Colorado is way more expensive than weed supplied by the local pot dealer. The risk is only slightly less with the state store purchase. Allegedly pot is a 12 billion dollar a year black market industry...would love to see how that money actually flows through the distribution organization, and the grower organization.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I would love to see the effect that legal marijuana would have on Mexico. Bales of grass stop coming north, Bales of dollars stop going south.

It'd be interesting to see what the origins of the weed sold in America are. A bunch of it is grown right here at home...don't forget Hawaii, Columbia, Panama....it's a very popular weed.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't think the cartels/gangs would just throw their hands up and say "Oh well, I guess I'll get a real job." They will start pushing harder stuff to make money. Like heroin. Pot is unlikely to kill a high schooler, heroin however is another story.

I don't see the harm in leaving pot illegal.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I'm thinking if/when weed is no longer profitable for the Mex.Cartels to smuggle into the US and move on to their next money making venture we will wish they where still smuggling weed.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don't think the cartels/gangs would just throw their hands up and say "Oh well, I guess I'll get a real job." They will start pushing harder stuff to make money. Like heroin. Pot is unlikely to kill a high schooler, heroin however is another story.

I would not be surprised to find the cartels buying up farmland in areas they think the weed may go legal...it's not going to go wild until the feds make it legal...and on that one, don't hold your breath.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

So, you don't see that the war on drugs has caused any problems? Just keep on keeping on with something that hasn't worked since day 1?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

In Indiana from about Martinsville south...including Bloomington BIG TIME...cheap and plentiful heroin use has been skyrocketing. Which has lead to an explosion in new HIV cases....addicts sharing needles, trading sex for dope...it's a vicious circle.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

Uhhhhhhh, and they haven't been doing that for the past few decades? So, was this country a much more civil and free place before or after the prohibition of weed?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I guess I missed it. I've usually seen his more sarcastic, "It's only a plant!" comments. :):

I became skeptical of the Drug War when I was in law enforcement in 1995. I was assigned to juvenile court and the deputy I was replacing had been gone for 4 months. Petitions were piling up.

I came on the weekends and read through police reports and filed a bunch and gave others back to probation. In those days, (forgive my technical ignorance) we sent our "print jobs" to a central computer and then to a printer. The print jobs waited in line on a computer and you could see what was ahead of them in the cue.

I waited for several days as the drug deputy printed out report after report, frickin' reams of paper. I asked what they were for. They were reports for drug grant money for the Department of Justice. Kill reports for money for more prosecutions which would result in more money for more prosecutions.

Wait, I remember thinking, the drug war is designed to never have an end! I remember getting very angry and sitting in my office drinking coffee and thinking about this stupidity.

Even as I prosecuted dopers I began to reflect on the massive waste that it was. I did what I was told to do and I don't hold any silly notions that the State of Indiana does not have the authority to make dope illegal.

For me it is a utilitarian question. For marijuana, the cons outweigh the pros.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Like any "War", there are generals that command. The cartels are not going to become farmers. Drugs are bad, mkay.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Like any "War", there are generals that command. The cartels are not going to become farmers. Drugs are bad, mkay.

Well generals are in the military. So you are for a martial society? Drugs are bad, yes, so is alcohol. Another thing that is bad is for simpletons to try to and force their blind faith in authoritarianism on society.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You can travel down any thought path you like, do NOT take me with you. The simpletons that don't understand chemical addictions and it's affect on the body and mind, let alone society, can pick up the pieces.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You can travel down any thought path you like, do NOT take me with you. The simpletons that don't understand chemical addictions and it's affect on the body and mind, let alone society, can pick up the pieces.

That may be true, but what is also true, people are addicted while it's illegal. All making it illegal does is make criminals of the addicts along with the people who supply it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It would also open the supply chains. High availability = low cost = more addicts = ...

Okayfine, keep it illegal. But at least build lots more prisons so that there's room left over to lock up the real criminals.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I understand the issue with overcrowded prisons. I don't think that someone should do time for a dimebag. A guy I went to grade school with did a few when he got pulled over with 40lbs. I don't have an issue with that.

Top Bottom