Why Are So Many Still Against Hemp / Marijuana ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Wow. This is the first time I've seen you say this (although I might have missed it before). Bravo!

Careful with the Bravo. This is Kirk we're talking about. He's not really advocating freedom, he just doesn't like the impact of the drug war on his wallet (or his coffee breaks). If it was cheaper to execute them all, he'd probably go for that.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    We are all addicts. Addiction is wired into our being, sex being the first addiction. It was required for our survival as a species.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Still the same old lies?

That wasn't a lie, that was hyperbole. Lighten up.

I cite history. Is there more booze available now then during prohibition? Yes. I just drove two blocks and bought $60 worth.

You said there would be more addicts. That's what I'd like some evidence of. As well as increased amounts of negative impacts.

History of prohibition says the opposite. More people died from consuming alcohol. Crime increased. Prohibition failed in every practical sense.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You said there would be more addicts. That's what I'd like some evidence of. As well as increased amounts of negative impacts.

History of prohibition says the opposite. More people died from consuming alcohol. Crime increased. Prohibition failed in every practical sense.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...v&sa=X&ei=1k0lVaehKcvisAWzroHQBA&ved=0CDIQsAQ

Do you know anyone that kicked heroin? died with a needle in their arm?

MJ is the line in the sand. Mkay.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I'm thinking if/when weed is no longer profitable for the Mex.Cartels to smuggle into the US and move on to their next money making venture we will wish they where still smuggling weed.

This is assuming they aren't currently involved in the smuggling of multiple narcotics? I'd venture a guess that there is significant crossover between the smugglers duties and multiple substances they send north.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We are all addicts. Addiction is wired into our being, sex being the first addiction. It was required for our survival as a species.
    oh. That makes it easy then. Addiction=bad. We should lock up addicts. We all are addicts. Therefore we all should be locked up.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't see where I said addicts should be locked up, or where I said prohibition decreases addiction. Making a substance illegal decreases its availability. That in turn decreases addicts, or potential addicts exposure to that substance.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Natural plant argument--you ok with all the other natural drugs that are a serious problem? maybe weed isnt as big of a problem, i personally have nothing against it, you smoke it, you deal with the consequences. BUT we know drugs make people stupid, lazy, crime goes up etc, so there is a very good point for making it illegal. I see both sides. As far as an industrial use well there is no argument against that. we know the prisons benefit greatly because of weed and the politicians funding those prisons and getting votes. i get that too. But in a society with zero repercussions for ones actions, and no personal responsibility, why legalize it? If a business must hire someone who smokes it, if a society must tolerate the crime and filth that results from it, how can you say legalize then? Tricky position to be if you are honest about it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't see where I said addicts should be locked up, or where I said prohibition decreases addiction.

What? You just said it again:

Making a substance illegal decreases its availability. That in turn decreases addicts, or potential addicts exposure to that substance.

I'd like to see some evidence of this, including your definition of 'addict'.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    But in a society with zero repercussions for ones actions, and no personal responsibility, why legalize it? If a business must hire someone who smokes it, if a society must tolerate the crime and filth that results from it, how can you say legalize then? Tricky position to be if you are honest about it.

I agree with you that the lack of personal responsibility is a problem. Where we part ways is in our proposed solution to this.

You would propose more prohibition. Prohibition of activities that society deems 'irresponsible'. This requires huge amounts of government in our daily lives. Is this what you want? Let's also remember that it doesn't work. Been there, done that. All we get is more government, more crime and less freedom.

The logical solution would be to advocate more personal responsibility. Get rid of the handouts. Impose steeper penalties on those who cause damage to people or property. This is what we should be focusing on.

Top Bottom