• Why have you not taken trining?

• Total voters

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    A couple of points:

1) One reason I've heard from people is they don't think they are "good enough" yet to take a class. Obviously that shows a misunderstanding of what it's all about, but there it is. I can't explain it, but I've heard this enough that it must not be a rare thought.

2) For those who are afraid an available class is too basic for them, consider this: The important part is all the same. Sight alignment and trigger. The only differences in so-called advanced classes is more speed and confusion is added in. You might have to stand on one foot getting pelted with paintballs after running an obstacle course, but you still have to aim the gun and press the trigger without pulling it off target.
    And- My first class was an "Intro" class. At the time I took it I was a Master class Highpower shooter, was at least AA class in the handgun silhouette categories I had shot in, did fairly well at IDPA, and had even won some local bowling pin matches. Guess what? I learned at least a couple of things within the first ten minutes on the range that made it all worthwhile. Just the money saved in practicing the wrong thing made it worth going.

If I ever struck it rich, I'd take a cue from the rich retirees who travel the country in motor homes going to all the nascar races. I'd do the same, but travel to every training site in the country. And I'd take their Intro/Basic/Level 1 classes.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I haven't had a class in several years, so I don't really fit the theme, but..

My main reason right now is $$$. At least I have shot more already this year, than I did ALL last year. So maybe the rest will change this year for me too :)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I took on this weekend in an area (competition) that I am fairly solid in already. I am better now than I was before.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Well I just voted other, I believe training is important but money is tight for most. I have been carrying a month shy of two years, I have taken several classes starting with a First Shot class, basic NRA, a couple others I can't recall off the top of my head, and some one on one training with Coach.

The problem I have is finding affordable training in NWI, I simply can not afford $200.00 plus for a class so I will continue to make the drive to South Bend and Indy as time and money allow.

The interest in personal defense has risen greatly in the last few years and I can only hope that some trainers will continue to offer affordable classes for people who realize the importance yet are on limited budgets.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I voted money, but that is not entirely accurate. I could prioritize a bit differently, save, and be able to attend a course. Time is a factor, as I can't attend any classes on sundays, as I pastor a church. Also I'm trying to save (not very successfully, things keep popping up) as my full time position in the National Guard will be going away later this year.

To the "I was in the military" excuse someone referenced earlier. Unless you were some type of SOF getting consistent quality range time with an expert coach, I don't buy that one. Most of us just don't get training that would be on par with a good civilian school house. And even some of those guys do training with the civilian schools. I've always shot perfect on the Army pistol qual, when I've had the opportunity. That is not impressive. Probably 70% or more of the people in this discussion could easily do the same. I've never received any training with the M9, it's just not a priority for infantry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well I just voted other, I believe training is important but money is tight for most. I have been carrying a month shy of two years, I have taken several classes starting with a First Shot class, basic NRA, a couple others I can't recall off the top of my head, and some one on one training with Coach.

The problem I have is finding affordable training in NWI, I simply can not afford $200.00 plus for a class so I will continue to make the drive to South Bend and Indy as time and money allow.

The interest in personal defense has risen greatly in the last few years and I can only hope that some trainers will continue to offer affordable classes for people who realize the importance yet are on limited budgets.

How much do you think such a class should cost?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This is for the folks who own and carry, even infrequently, who have never taken a training class. Why not?

I am NO expert, but I have PLENTY of Mil. training, and I "train" myself, by "working" on techniques, that I read about, and try to incorporate in to my daily routine...

Example, I stand in front of a "full length" mirror, and practice my draw.....

YES, my wife, and kids LAUGHED at me .....

I read Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith, Mas Ayoob.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Money is often tight for training. It's often much looser for more guns. If you have three or four handguns, I'm not buying money is tight. You have other priorities for your money. That's OK, but be honest with yourself about it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Money is often tight for training. It's often much looser for more guns. If you have three or four handguns, I'm not buying money is tight. You have other priorities for your money. That's OK, but be honest with yourself about it.

Yep.

I know I need to. I want to. I just haven't scheduled it.

Lazy? Yeah, probably.
    Poor? Well, just spend money on other things...
    Busy? Yeah, priorities, gotta figure out the order...

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have learned something from every class I have ever been in, regardless of how good/bad the class was.... I take training every chance I get.... but most reasons I don't now is too busy or too far.

I am NO expert, but I have PLENTY of Mil. training, and I "train" myself, by "working" on techniques, that I read about, and try to incorporate in to my daily routine...

My wife laughs at me when I do my dry fire and drawing exercises in the basement..... But that is something that will at least keep me doing some type of training when I cant get to the range.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    One of the reasons I think that others do not train is they may not know what options are available near them. Many people may not realize that there is good training within a few hours of them. Also, they may overestimate how much training cost from some of the lesser known, but highly skilled trainers out there.

There is a TON of good defensive pistol training out there for between $100-$150 per day. Most people can afford to spend $100 on a full day of training + $60-$80 for 200-250 of ammo from Walmart. This is especially true if you plan ahead. I am heading to an Introduction to Defensive Handgun class next Saturday sponsored by the United States Rifleman's Association. The class is $100 and I have heard nothing but good things about it. The Boone County Sheriff's office has restarted their 2 day Principles of the Defensive Handgun course that Sheriff Ken Campbell used to run. It is $200. I took a home defense shotgun class at Guardian Firearms Academy in Greencastle, IN back in April. It was a 3 hour drive each way, but the class was just $100. I took it solely on the recommendation of the instructor (Jerrod Baugh) by Coach, and it was FANTASTIC. There are tons of options out there, you just have to look hard.

One of the challenges is that firearms instructors tend to be horrible at self-promotion. If you are LUCKY, they will post a notice on the local web forum announcing their class. Failing that, the consumer must find the instructor on their own, THEN regularly check their website for calendar updates. I randomly read a thread on this board by Kirk Freeman about some dude winning the NRA LE Instructor of the year award. On a whim, I decided to look this guy up. It turns out that this guy teaches less than 30 min from my house, is within my budget, and has what looks to be an awesome defensive pistol course coming up (moving targets, shooting from cars, simunition, etc). I had NO IDEA that this guy even existed.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I want training and I know I need to get more. However I have not found any training that I can say is reputable. Sorry but I know there are a lot of people on here that can provide good feedback but also a lot of people that I don't agree with. I need to look into the Hendricks county Sheriff training. I would feel better taking training offered through places like your local police or maybe even the ILEA could offer something. It would be a good option and a public safety issue that I would think the local departments should be able to get behind. It is my poor desicion to not have received training. Beyond what most everyone here is against which is I have been raised around them along time and I try to go to the range and practice at least being accurate. I dry practice at home some but most ranges do not allow one to practice by drawing and firing.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I want training and I know I need to get more. However I have not found any training that I can say is reputable. Sorry but I know there are a lot of people on here that can provide good feedback but also a lot of people that I don't agree with. I need to look into the Hendricks county Sheriff training. I would feel better taking training offered through places like your local police or maybe even the ILEA could offer something. It would be a good option and a public safety issue that I would think the local departments should be able to get behind. It is my poor desicion to not have received training. Beyond what most everyone here is against which is I have been raised around them along time and I try to go to the range and practice at least being accurate. I dry practice at home some but most ranges do not allow one to practice by drawing and firing.

There are ranges that allow drawing for the holster. Those that do not are really anti-gun at their core.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    How much do you think such a class should cost?

It's not what I think a class should cost, but what I can afford in my budget. I'm not saying a $200-$300 class isn't worth it or have great value, it's simply not in reach for me currently.

Where as I can afford $50-$75 with someone like Coach, when I spent a couple of hours with him this pass fall I learned a great deal from him. I will continue going this route even when I can do a one or two day class. I think it's always good to periodically have someone with a good eye make sure you not falling into any bad habits.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I want training and I know I need to get more. However I have not found any training that I can say is reputable. Sorry but I know there are a lot of people on here that can provide good feedback but also a lot of people that I don't agree with.

Can you elaborate on this? What would make a trainer reputable in your eyes? Also, what are the things you don't agree with?

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Part of it for me is not knowing where to start. I don't have the money to take several classes, so I would want one that would be good enough to get me by until I can afford another class.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

I read Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith, Mas Ayoob.....

It's not my goal to push training on anyone who doesn't want It or doesn't feel they need it. Everyone has to assess their needs and act accordingly. Thanks for your response.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Part of it for me is not knowing where to start. I don't have the money to take several classes, so I would want one that would be good enough to get me by until I can afford another class.

A valid point. Tell us about your goals and your experience. I bet we can point you in the right direction. Also, like many things, this journey is not one Linear path. (For some of us it's more like a maze.) You don't have to learn everything in order. You just have to start down the path.

Top Bottom