• Why have you not taken trining?

• Total voters

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    My biggest reserve about training is not knowing the quality of the instructor. I don't have a ton of money and I try to spend it wisely. When someone tells me that they were/are a LEO it's not that impressive to me. I appreciate everything LEOs do and a lot of it depends on the class I would be taking if being a LEO was good enough. However, I know several LEOs and they tell me how poor their training is, so having that as your primary credential doesn't seem credible to me. In the few people I've found training from locally they are either just LEO or they have just taken a lot of classes. I find very few with real world experience. To me that is a big deal. Maybe it shouldn't be but tactics and reasons why are a game changer.

I'm also a college student and I realize how important a good teacher can be. I also know that just because someone has a PhD doesn't mean that they are a very good teacher. So my biggest difficulty is finding an instructor as I said before. After I find an instructor I try to read all the reviews to see if they can teach.

I'm taking a class in July from a gentleman that did contract work in Iraq. I know that he has real world experience. I know several people that have taken classes from him before. It is not expensive training. I would love to go to some huge name school like Academi or something but that's simply not in the budget.

My vote is that it isn't one specific thing that keeps me from going to training classes but multiple things.

I also go with the vote that a majority of people just don't know what they don't know. When I told people I am going to take an intro to handgun class they look at me confused and ask "why?" I am a decent shot on a regular range and I've had some life experiences that make people tend to believe I am capable of defending myself.

Reasons why I choose to do training
    I can't pick my opponent/s. If I'm using my firearm for self defense then it isn't something I can walk away from. I can't pick the day or time. I can't decline if I'm injured sore or sick. There are no rematches, and I know a lot of people that have better luck than me. This is why I am choosing to take training classes.

Last edited:

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A valid point. Tell us about your goals and your experience. I bet we can point you in the right direction. Also, like many things, this journey is not one Linear path. (For some of us it's more like a maze.) You don't have to learn everything in order. You just have to start down the path.

My goals are to know the legal aspects of carrying a firearm: when to shoot, when not to shoot, when to draw it...etc. I think the scenario based training seems to be very valuable. I would like to be as well rounded as possible.

The only real experience I've had is my brother teaching me to shoot. I've never had any formal training.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Ok so DNR ranges are anti-gun most indoor ranges are anti-gun. I think that is a over simplistic comment. The fact is that most ranges I have been around do this for safety purposes of the other shooters.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    It's not what I think a class should cost, but what I can afford in my budget. I'm not saying a $200-$300 class isn't worth it or have great value, it's simply not in reach for me currently.

Where as I can afford $50-$75 with someone like Coach, when I spent a couple of hours with him this pass fall I learned a great deal from him. I will continue going this route even when I can do a one or two day class. I think it's always good to periodically have someone with a good eye make sure you not falling into any bad habits.
    Wish I could find someone nearby that cheap! I wouldn't mind doing a class or two with Coach, but 3hrs both ways is wwaaay to long a drive for me, and it seems not many in NWI advertise their trainging offered, or if they do it's expensive (like the instructor Rhino linked me to). It's probably worth the extra money, but that doesn't mean anything if there is no extra money on hand. Hopefully, given the time, I will be able to work something out and figure out how to get some training! The good folks here on ingo seem ready to help, ATM I have neither the funds nor the time, but I will this summer hopefully!

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I disagree with some of the people here that are a little gung ho for me concerning numerous topics that are discussed so I don't trust everybody's training opinions either. I could start up a training program and get people who don't know any better to come they may think it is great training but it may be horrible and now they have wasted money and received bad training. I don't want to be that person. What makes a trainer reputable would be one who is employed or has been employed to train officers and fed agents. Ones who are written about in national publications (still may be no good but less likely), also places such as the sig academy and such.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    8 people have indicated they cannot afford a trainIng. I think I've only seen one post in the thread.

Maybe I'll start an INGO training scholarship. If someone has never taken a training class and really wants it but can't afford it, and can show legitimate need, and are willing to make the necessary efforts...

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I disagree with some of the people here that are a little gung ho for me concerning numerous topics that are discussed so I don't trust everybody's training opinions either. I could start up a training program and get people who don't know any better to come they may think it is great training but it may be horrible and now they have wasted money and received bad training. I don't want to be that person. What makes a trainer reputable would be one who is employed or has been employed to train officers and fed agents. Ones who are written about in national publications (still may be no good but less likely), also places such as the sig academy and such.

Some of the trainers, or just the random people that post on the board? Can you give any exmples?

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    8 people have indicated they cannot afford a trainIng. I think I've only seen one post in the thread.

Maybe I'll start an INGO training scholarship. If someone has never taken a training class and really wants it but can't afford it, and can show legitimate need, and are willing to make the necessary efforts...

What constitutes legitimate need and what effort?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

What constitutes legitimate need and what effort?

Well, I just had the idea. It's not exactly fully formed. Legitimate need would be a real financial need. Not someone who could take some training but routinely prioritizes other discretionary spending instead. Hard to determine on INGO, I'm sure.

As far as effort, I can't bring a class to someone's back yard. Some driving may be required. Someone might have to give up a weekend. A person would have to bring their own ammo and equipment probably. Maybe even cover a portion of the tuition, depending on the class.

I can't send anyone to Gunsite. It would likely be with local a trainer I know and have worked with, but I know several.

Just my initial thoughts. Maybe prospective recipients would write letters to be judged by a panel of esteemed INGO members.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I do not feel like going back and finding every comment or any comment for that matter that I disagree with on INGO. I simply tried to answer the poll on why I have not attended any training. I am acknowledging I need training as people can always learn more. I don't feel that I am completely ignorant but I am sure people will disagree with that and that is okay. I would like to attend a program such as Sig Acadamey or Gunsite. However I have not had the funds for that level of training nor the time to take off and go there. Concerning Indiana training I have looked at training around here and I would have to commit to multiple weekends for any of the training I would consider because you have to take a entry level this is a gun and this is how it works class first and then secondly a class I might learn some. I do not have a lot of free time and maybe I should make time but I have not. Maybe someday I will. I know I need to.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I do not feel like going back and finding every comment or any comment for that matter that I disagree with on INGO. I simply tried to answer the poll on why I have not attended any training. I am acknowledging I need training as people can always learn more. I don't feel that I am completely ignorant but I am sure people will disagree with that and that is okay. I would like to attend a program such as Sig Acadamey or Gunsite. However I have not had the funds for that level of training nor the time to take off and go there. Concerning Indiana training I have looked at training around here and I would have to commit to multiple weekends for any of the training I would consider because you have to take a entry level this is a gun and this is how it works class first and then secondly a class I might learn some.

Thanks for responding. Would two or three weekends of local training be less desireable than 4 or 5 days at Gunsite if it covered most of the same material?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Yes it would be. I just would like to see some type of certifications or something to say this individual or individuals know what they are doing and they have a proven track record to support their training. I just find word of mouth alone substantiating the training is not really enough by itself for me to spend my money.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I posted as one of the people who said "can't afford training." I feel like I either have all of the money and no time, or all of the time and no money...

A couple of years ago I could have afforded it but it wasn't important to me yet... t graduated school a year ago and in the past 2 years training has been high on my list. I haven't made any significant new gun or ammo in over a year. In other words I have never had the $500+ I need to take the class I want in hand and blown it on a new gun or ammo. I will however paying for a class sometime in the next couple of months. Job interview tomorrow and with new work I will be training!

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Well, I just had the idea. It's not exactly fully formed. Legitimate need would be a real financial need. Not someone who could take some training but routinely prioritizes other discretionary spending instead. Hard to determine on INGO, I'm sure.

As far as effort, I can't bring a class to someone's back yard. Some driving may be required. Someone might have to give up a weekend. A person would have to bring their own ammo and equipment probably. Maybe even cover a portion of the tuition, depending on the class.
    I can't send anyone to Gunsite. It would likely be with local a trainer I know and have worked with, but I know several.

Just my initial thoughts. Maybe prospective recipients would write letters to be judged by a panel of esteemed INGO members.
    Sounds reasonable to me. I'd be very interested if something like this could be arranged. I agree evaluating someones financial situation seems a bit difficult. I honestly can say 90% of my income (which is going to be nothing after college lets out, until I can find employment that is) has gone towards bills. The other goes to pay for ammo and other entertainment (maybe $50 a month MAX). I have not been focused on making money, so buying things like guns or spending a bunch on training have't been a priority. I have only recently realized that buying guns and ammo is pointless if I don't know how to utilize them fully. My accuracy at 25yds is abyssmal, at 7 yards mediocre. I thought buying more ammo and shooting more would help, and it does a bit, but if I dont correct and realize my mistakes, I don't expect to improve much.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I would have to split my vote between too busy and too far. When I'm free, nothing is available close to me. When the classes are available near me, they never seem to fit in my schedule. Driving more than 2 hours is too much. Two hours there, 8 hour class, 2 hours back is more than I can afford to spend in one day.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Yes it would be. I just would like to see some type of certifications or something to say this individual or individuals know what they are doing and they have a proven track record to support their training. I just find word of mouth alone substantiating the training is not really enough by itself for me to spend my money.

What if the people recommending the classes have been to the big name schools and the local trainers, and are therefore equipped to identify the overlap and the gaps between the two?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've taken several classes, so coming to post in favor of it. Training often allows or forces me to practice things I don't normally do, either because I am not yet trained on a technique, or because I'm not yet to a level of proficiency where my practice is robust.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    How do I know they have attended the schools/ trainings? For me to take word of mouth or internet I would have to know the people better to take there word. I know most people wouldn't lie about there training. I still would like to see some type of training certifications of those teaching the classes showing where they received their training. What kind of training do the trainers at ILEA or a department such as IMPD have? Could one go through the same train the trainer program as them and have a cert to show for it?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just want to get some quality training because at this point if I do have any terrible habits I am not aware of they are pretty ingrained at this point!

I think teaching people what you know if they can't afford training is a great thing, but that is awesome what you are saying and how you care... I have been fortunate enough to get into pistols from long guns as a kid with a bunch of guys who actually knew what they are doing and have had training and a few of which are big competition shooters. That and have had a guy or two, one in particular recently that I know who trains teach me what they know and or learned in the recent class I couldn't attend. It may be 2nd hand knowledge but it's more than I knew before.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom