• ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I simply shoot revolvers better.

My 357 carries easily on my belt or even in my pocket (SP101 or LCR). I can easily carry and conceal extra ammo (in, *gasp*, speed strips, sometimes speedloaders).

I don't go into high-risk areas. Where I work I'm far being from the only one who's armed. When at home or out and about with my family two out of the four of us are armed (two kids).

I can can hit close up or at distance with my wheel gun. If I'm in a situation where my 5 loaded rounds and available reloads won't get it done, I'm either retreating or already done for before the situation unfolded. I doubt I've got teams of assassins just waiting to jump me. Every active shooter situation I read about seems to end not in a firefight, but in the dope quitting as soon as armed resistance is shown.

I used to to listen to all of the similar posts about this topic here on INGO, and kept getting bigger, higher capacity guns to carry based on those posts and my personal level of perceived need - but the reality is that a G19 or the like isn't an option for me to lug around all day. And with all due respect those who constitute the exceptions to this rule, I'm betting a vast majority of us on INGO aren't lugging around M&Ps, Glock 19 or 17s, or the like in their day to day activities.

So, I'm carrying an old-school, 5 shot wheel gun EVERY DAY, EVERYWHERE I can legally do so. And in no way do I ever feel the need to go back to the "gotta have mega rounds on me" school of thought.

If you're TRULY the sort who flat out carries the big high capacity gun EVERY DAY, EVERYWHERE you can legally do so, great.

I'm betting most, if not all, of the folks who read this post, if they're truly being honest with us and themselves, aren't carrying the big high cap gun EVERY DAY, EVERYWHERE they can legally do so.

To each their own. I'm old school and low-cap and in no way feel inadequate in my armament.

Last edited:

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    It's very easy to conceal a full size handgun...if you put a little effort into it.

Not neccissarily. Everyone's build is different. And everyone's carrying situation is different. I am 5'3", 145lbs. In the winter months, when I am able to, I can carry a G19 or even a VP9 with a hoodie or pullover, or when I kniow a jacket will nto be taken off. However, unless I want to open carry, a single stack is just about my only option in the warmer months for CCW.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like the OPs line of thinking. Too many who could carry a larger handgun don't for no other reason but convienence. That is really a poor excuse as we should carry the most capable firearm we can shoot well. So rep inbound OP. BUT as others have already pointed out there are times when a larger gun is simply not an option. For the savy concealed carrier a quality j frame revolver or single stack 9mm is essential. I think of these as either BUGs or when carried as a primary social guns. There are simply times when carrying a gun is not illegal but not also not allowed.

Fuel on the fire: Little 380s suck! So insert pocket rocket 380 in the OP and I am on board. There are actually some small 9mms out there now that are big enough to actually shoot and small enough to hide. Shield, PPS, Glock 43 or 26 are all pretty impressive little guns.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It's very easy to conceal a full size handgun...if you put a little effort into it.

You can't make assumptions about everyone's situation.

Where does a lifeguard keep a full size handgun? (Not my current situation, but it's part of what drove me to the subcompact pistols in the first place.)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

For me, it's the stakes of being caught that make the difference. If a mall cop spots a full size 1911 printing, he asks me to leave the premises. If I were caught on company grounds because my 1911 printed, I lose my job. That would make a huge impact on my well being and gun buying habits, so I don't risk it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You can't make assumptions about everyone's situation.

Where does a lifeguard keep a full size handgun? (Not my current situation, but it's part of what drove me to the subcompact pistols in the first place.)

Lifeguard? My guess is they won't. But concealing a full size handgun is super simple for a lifeguard. Carry it in their little red fanny pack with the CRP and first aid supplies.

The real trick is how does a person carry a concealed handgun in an environment where the employees are given uniforms? That limits the clothing options.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Lifeguard? My guess is they won't. But concealing a full size handgun is super simple for a lifeguard. Carry it in their little red fanny pack with the CRP and first aid supplies.

The real trick is how does a person carry a concealed handgun in an environment where the employees are given uniforms? That limits the clothing options.

^^^This. Blanket statements have a way of not covering all situations. Carry what you can and often. Finis.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like the OPs line of thinking. Too many who could carry a larger handgun don't for no other reason but convienence. That is really a poor excuse as we should carry the most capable firearm we can shoot well. So rep inbound OP. BUT as others have already pointed out there are times when a larger gun is simply not an option. For the savy concealed carrier a quality j frame revolver or single stack 9mm is essential. I think of these as either BUGs or when carried as a primary social guns. There are simply times when carrying a gun is not illegal but not also not allowed.

Fuel on the fire: Little 380s suck! So insert pocket rocket 380 in the OP and I am on board. There are actually some small 9mms out there now that are big enough to actually shoot and small enough to hide. Shield, PPS, Glock 43 or 26 are all pretty impressive little guns.

I used to swear by a Sig P238 but switched to a P938 last fall. It's a really nice little gun to shoot and lets me take a 9mm in places that are very gun unfriendly. Vert's right, there are good options for highly concealable 9mm pistol, which, for me, has turned my .380s into plinking guns only. A PPK is a fun gun to shoot and when you reload, it can be cheaper to shoot than a .22 when ammo prices are crazy, so I'll probably keep my .380s for that reason only.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana

This is another great point! If all we had in full size handguns were 1911 boat anchors with 8 rounds or N Frame revolvers with 6 rounds, then the tiny guns would make sense. However, my M&P9 is significantly smaller and lighter than the guns of yesteryear and has double or triple the capacity. And what are we talking about as far as the difference between the M&P and the little guns as far as weight and size? A few ounces in weight and an inch on either end. No problem. I can wear my pistol in the appendix area and no one knows it is there except me.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Sounds like we're all using awful big brushes this morning. For those disagreeing with the OP that's great. Just as the OP made the decision what to carry based on his needs, skills, experience, philosophy, etc. you have too. He found a carry method and gun that works for him in his particular situation and, maybe it was just me, but I didn't see him trying to convert anyone. Rather he was just sharing his personal reasons, and for those of us who are new to the world of firearms (I got my holster earlier this week and carried for the first time) learning from the experiences of others, and hearing other ideas, is part of growing as a gun owner.

I see your point OP, however my theory is if you need 35 shots you are either A) a really bad marksman, or B) facing way more people than you could take out before they return fire.
    Should the OP use .22 because he isn't on patrol in Kabul also?
    (We'll see who remember this gem :D )

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I used to swear by a Sig P238 but switched to a P938 last fall. It's a really nice little gun to shoot and lets me take a 9mm in places that are very gun unfriendly. Vert's right, there are good options for highly concealable 9mm pistol, which, for me, has turned my .380s into plinking guns only. A PPK is a fun gun to shoot and when you reload, it can be cheaper to shoot than a .22 when ammo prices are crazy, so I'll probably keep my .380s for that reason only.

Sig P238 is the only .380 I have seen make it through a very basic pistol course with no malfunctions. Even the much exalted Glock 42 does not share that distinction. I used to carry a Walther PPK. Nice gun, shot good, quirky with what ammo it would run. But the new 9mms are smaller, lighter, more reliable.

edit: Thinking back my statement about the P238 is wrong. We did have one about 3 years ago that kept acting up. But it was minor and easily fixed (user error). I will give it a pass for now though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I collect pocket guns from the early 1900s and 32 is the most common caliber. Back then the 1907 Savage was the only double column pocket gun around, having a 10 round mag.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I can conceal a shotgun in my pants leg. Can I get to it when I need to in a manner that is conducive to presentation in a self defense situation?

As an example, when I worked IT I carried a 1911 in a SmartCarry. This is basically underwear carry for those that are unfamiliar. The gun sits over you giblets. Now, it's very concealable, and if anyone notices a bulge over your giblets they are going to keep it to themselves (or ask you out). I could crawl under desks to hook things up, something I could not do with 4 o'clock carry without getting made. The trade off was it was slooow to get to. My concern was an active shooter due to credible threats from a fired employee, so unless I was the first target time wasn't the issue. Had I gotten robbed in the parking lot, it'd have been tough to deploy. A pocket gun would be great for the parking lot robber, but suck for a 50y shot in an open cubicle bay.

There are trade offs in everything, and each tool is better suited for it's own job and different situations. My answer has been to not limit myself to a small gun or a large gun...but to have one of each. :D

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I agree more rounds is better. However having a gun trumps not having one. The m&p is significantly larger and heavier than a small single stack 9mm. You can't just go off the pistol weight, ammo is heavy too. Not saying it can't be carried, as many people like the OP do it on a daily basis. However, a lot of people will leave a full size at home, for many different reasons, most of which are covered in this thread. The popularity of single stack pistols can't be denied.

In the end, carry what works for you. As long as you carry it. (Within the law of course)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    But concealing a full size handgun is super simple for a lifeguard. Carry it in their little red fanny pack with the CRP and first aid supplies.

With? Not going to fit. Those little fanny packs ought to be pretty full of first aid supplies.

And the first time you have to get into the fanny pack, everyone sees that the lifeguard has a gun.

Top Bottom