• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I agree that a G19 isn't a small gun. My 442 S&W 38 spec is a little smaller. I carry both. Add a 15rd mag for the Glock, feel well armed. Dress around the gun.
    Good luck.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    With? Not going to fit. Those little fanny packs ought to be pretty full of first aid supplies.

And the first time you have to get into the fanny pack, everyone sees that the lifeguard has a gun.

I am sure somebody makes a red or blue fanny pack with a concealed holster in a separate pocket. Really a silly example though since all the lifeguards I ever see are high school kids on summer break. But nothing to say that nice professional life guard somewhere isn't an EMT or LEO. Point is guns can be either hidden or in the example of putting it in a pack disquised.

A more realistic example would be someone such as myself. I work in an office, in the field and around customers. Our company gives us uniforms. We have a no weapons policy. Plus it is no secret that I teach handgun courses and am an officer at the local gun club. CEOs of both the company I work for and the company we are merging with have taken classes with me, as well as my direct supervisor. But no weapons policy. Hypothetically this is where small guns come into play. I say hypothetically because I wouldn't violate company policy.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I like the OPs line of thinking. Too many who could carry a larger handgun don't for no other reason but convienence. That is really a poor excuse as we should carry the most capable firearm we can shoot well. So rep inbound OP. BUT as others have already pointed out there are times when a larger gun is simply not an option. For the savy concealed carrier a quality j frame revolver or single stack 9mm is essential. I think of these as either BUGs or when carried as a primary social guns. There are simply times when carrying a gun is not illegal but not also not allowed.

Fuel on the fire: Little 380s suck! So insert pocket rocket 380 in the OP and I am on board. There are actually some small 9mms out there now that are big enough to actually shoot and small enough to hide. Shield, PPS, Glock 43 or 26 are all pretty impressive little guns.
    I think one good reason for .380s is that some people are small or disabled and just can't manage the double recoil springs on the sub compact 9mm's--or the recoil of a .38 j-frame.
    Any handgun is a compromise to begin with, so being able to operate and accurately shoot it is the bottom line. No one in their right mind would recommend a .22 target pistol for defense, but if that's all that some 90y.o. little old lady can handle...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Really a silly example though since all the lifeguards I ever see are high school kids on summer break.

Not silly at all; when I first mentioned it, I said that it was because it had applied to my life. I rarely guard anymore, but I maintain the certification and am an instructor.

There are lots of adult lifeguards at indoor pools; they don't mess with school schedules.

This again goes to my point that you can't make assumptions about everyone else's situation.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Guns of different sizes are for different needs. That's all.

Would you rather be unarmed, or have a nice little Keltec .380 in your pocket....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think one good reason for .380s is that some people are small or disabled and just can't manage the double recoil springs on the sub compact 9mm's--or the recoil of a .38 j-frame.
    Any handgun is a compromise to begin with, so being able to operate and accurately shoot it is the bottom line. No one in their right mind would recommend a .22 target pistol for defense, but if that's all that some 90y.o. little old lady can handle...

This reasoning doesn't hold water. A lightweight blowback .380 will actually have more felt recoil and be more difficult to manipulate then a larger locked breach 9mm. .22 for self defense is a whole other thread.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Guns of different sizes are for different needs. That's all.

Would you rather be unarmed, or have a nice little Keltec .380 in your pocket....

I will answer honestly and I hope nobody interprets this as being aurgumentative. If somebody gave me the choice between a $200 SureFire light and a KelTec .380 I would choose the SureFire. Choosing between a micro .380 and being completely unarmed is really not much of a choice. A lot of real world examples of .380s being successfully used for self defense. Personally I will never carry one because I feel there are better options. My personal criteria for a handgun is that it must be very reliable and I should be able to pass the FBI qualification. So for my needs a tuned up J Frame is my go to for deep concealment.

I have only recently started carrying a single stack 9 more often, not out of necessity but convienence. Just this afternoon I ran to the office, fertilized the lawn, trimmed, and serviced the truck. So I choose to sweat all over my Walther PPS as opposed to my usual commander sized 1911. If I weren't running around in old jeans and a dirty T-shirt that choice would have been different.

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    You can't make assumptions about everyone's situation.

Where does a lifeguard keep a full size handgun? (Not my current situation, but it's part of what drove me to the subcompact pistols in the first place.)
    lifeguards should carry spear guns it won't look out of place as much.

i don't like single stacks just because the feel of the grip seems unnatural in my hand and comfort is everything in control and accuracy for me.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well I'm really glad that we don't all only have the options that you personally approve of. What's the point of this thread, to tell everyone how awesome you are for always carrying a full size? Some gun is better than no gun and my Shield is sometimes an option when my double stack 9mm isn't. I've been trying to exercise and recover from some surgery by bike riding. Having a 5lb gun on my side isn't what I would call practical in that situation but I can toss my smaller single stack in my belly band and get my miles in, my other option is to not carry. When I can carry my 4 inch M&P I do but it's not always realistic. Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I'm really glad that we don't all only have the options that you personally approve of. What's the point of this thread, to tell everyone how awesome you are for always carrying a full size? Some gun is better than no gun and my Shield is sometimes an option when my double stack 9mm isn't. I've been trying to exercise and recover from some surgery by bike riding. Having a 5lb gun on my side isn't what I would call practical in that situation but I can toss my smaller single stack in my belly band and get my miles in, my other option is to not carry. Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

I think the OPs point was that he won't buy a smaller gun because he would be tempted to carry it only out convenience and not because of lifestyle requirements. I am guilty as charged as there is really no reason for me not to be carrying a larger gun right now other then I don't feel like doing so. Many people chimed in that they felt like having the option of a small gun and a larger gun met their needs better. Now to side with the OP and play devils advocate. I know a lot of people who can and should be carrying a larger more capable gun but don't. They will make every excuse and justification about why they can't.

edit: Oh and the Shield is a fine weapon. No reason not to feel well armed with a Shield.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah...if you're around people 9 hours a day 5 days a week carrying a full size, they're gonna see it sooner or later.

I did it for two years and never got made, with a 5" 1911. Already talked about how.

Anyway,

Something to mull over, and something to consider in the 'why one cop carries eleventy-billion rounds" is what's the real lesson? To carry more ammo or to work on failure drills and transitioning to head shots earlier?

Indiana hasn't seen it a lot yet, but folks the political climate matters. I'd rather have the conflict be over in 3 rounds from a failure drill than from 15 rounds center mass. This is something I've evolved on, having come from the "shoot at the middle" school of military and LE training, but I've come to be a big believer in the efficiency and the effectiveness of a modified Mozambique, allowing the gun to work up under recoil naturally to the head rather than two quick and a pause and a head shot.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Well I'm really glad that we don't all only have the options that you personally approve of. What's the point of this thread, to tell everyone how awesome you are for always carrying a full size? Some gun is better than no gun and my Shield is sometimes an option when my double stack 9mm isn't. I've been trying to exercise and recover from some surgery by bike riding. Having a 5lb gun on my side isn't what I would call practical in that situation but I can toss my smaller single stack in my belly band and get my miles in, my other option is to not carry. When I can carry my 4 inch M&P I do but it's not always realistic. Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

I don't believe I ever said anyone had to carry only what I approved of. I also never said I believed that I was awesome for carrying a full sized gun. I simply said I felt better prepared for a hostile encounter with a full sized gun with more capacity than with a little gun and that the reason I do not buy one is because I might be tempted to carry it. Also, the notion that it is either a little gun or no gun at all is silly. It is a straw-man argument implying that the extra 10 ounces and an inch on either side of the gun makes it infinitely more un-concealable than a smaller gun with less capacity. No one is talking about a FIVE POUND gun. Hell, I have rifles lighter than that.

I was simply sharing why I don't buy or carry small guns and maybe someone would see the logic to my argument and it might prevent them from showing up to a ten-person fight with a six shot pistol if they had the option of a more capable gun but just opted for the smaller one out of simple convenience. True convenience is having more than enough ammo in your gun to handle the problem at hand. How many might you need? Who knows? Maybe one. Maybe ten. Maybe none.

If a person can't share their opinion and perspective without having someone get all "Don't tell me what to carry" about it, then what is the point of a forum? Put some ointment on it and chill.

Last edited:

oezer35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    Knox
    I used to be a C.O. And the not being able to carry in my vehicle never made sense. Especially because at our facility there were a couple of break in on vehicles and the facility's response was they weren't responsible. So why did they care what I had in there if they weren't responsible anyways. Lol

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I agree with OP. I made a mistake in purchasing a Sig 938. I suddenly realized pulling it from its holster how useless it really was. Got lucky and traded it straight up for a new G17 gen 4.

For me its full size duty weapon only. I don't understand the rage right now for sub par pocket pistols.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Tom Cruise proves that 6 shots is all you need. Five if you skip the execution. (Language warning, for those too sensitive to hear bad words, but not too sensitive to discuss shooting bad guys)

[video=youtube;oEFPcljAXgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs[/video]

Ok, ok. Might not be totally relevant. But such a cool clip.....had to post it. :)

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I agree with OP. I made a mistake in purchasing a Sig 938. I suddenly realized pulling it from its holster how useless it really was. Got lucky and traded it straight up for a new G17 gen 4.

For me its full size duty weapon only. I don't understand the rage right now for sub par pocket pistols.

I don't think there is anything sub par about Sig's P938 or P238. They both shoot good and hit where I aim. If I'm carrying I prefer that the only one that knows about it is me.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

:rolleyes: Why can't I find trades like that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

So, how well does that G17 work for those places where you need deep concealment? Do you pocket carry it? Didn't think so. I'm guessing that you've chosen to go unarmed in places that you cannot conceal the G17, but have an absolute need to. That's not a choice I'm willing to make. BTW, if you run across any more P938s that you are willing to trade for a Glock, please let me know. Love my Glocks, but I'd trade one for a P938 in a flash if I had the chance.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    So, how well does that G17 work for those places where you need deep concealment? Do you pocket carry it? Didn't think so. I'm guessing that you've chosen to go unarmed in places that you cannot conceal the G17, but have an absolute need to. That's not a choice I'm willing to make. BTW, if you run across any more P938s that you are willing to trade for a Glock, please let me know. Love my Glocks, but I'd trade one for a P938 in a flash if I had the chance.

The 17 or my 21 are working great for me right now. Sold off all my other pistols.

I actually have pocket carried them. Deep concealment is not a problem. Only got made once when my kid knocked something off a store shelf and I had a short shirt on and bent over. Kindly got asked to leave. Not a place I cared to be anyway and have not been back since.

I thought the Sigs were cool and I did pick one up in a flash. Mistake it was. Full size is the way to go.

Now if I can finally narrow it down again to 9 or 45 will be in good shape.

Top Bottom