• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    i have a pf9 and i would look stupid trying to pocket carry it-too big. I'm average height/weight and don't see how anyone can pocket carry a 9mm subcompact, the Sig p238 or even a snubnose revolver. the only thing that I know of that doesn't print in the pants pocket is an LCP/DB380/P3at or a NAA mini revolver. Everything else is just too heavy and you'll likely feel awkward and print like a mug or maybe my skinny jeans shouldn't be worn when I pocket carry! ;-)

Yes a lot of the 9mm subcompacts are very large for a pocket. Can't comment on the Sig P238, but I would probably opt for IWB carry for that as well. In contrast I do pocket carry a Smith J-Frame snub quite often. No I do not wear skinny jeans and the secret is get this....a good belt. Yep folks it has been mentioned on INGO time and time again. Carrying a gun will require a good belt. Otherwise your pants flop and sag.

Don't get too concerned about the gun printing. A good pocket holster will break up the outline and it will basically look like a wallet, smart phone, keys, knife, flashlight, box of tissues or anything else a person might carry. Biggest problem I see with tight pants is that they reduce accessibility to the gun.

For what it is worth the mini .380s (LCP/DB380/P3at) are going to be the smallest and lightest to carry in a pocket. But that small size comes at a price.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Post above has it about correct. I have owned and carried a number of the ones mentioned above. I finally settled down with a Kahr CM9 for EDC with a Kahr p380 when I feel like something smaller. Once you try the Kahr trigger the other DAO's lose out. For me, the Kahr's are hands down more accurate and fun to shoot. The CM9 fits like a glove.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I'm VERY happy with the Kahr PM9. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, although it isn't cheap. Not a lot bigger than many .380's and mine runs like a swiss watch. I've not fired one but I'd also take a hard look at the subcompact Glock 9mm. Otherwise, a lot of people like the Keltec 3AT (though I'm not a huge .380 fan). Nothy wrong with a lightweight S&W .38 snubby either.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    The Mustang is a classic...

I own the Colt Mustang and it is perfect for carrying in your pocket. I have a small cheap holster and just slide it into my front pocket of my jeans or shorts. Also the Mustang is a single action exactly like a 1911. You should love the trigger and it can be carried "cocked and locked"

No disrespect intended and I agree they're neat little pistols, but I would seriously not recommend carrying one cocked and locked, especially in a pocket holster (they also don't have the grip safety as you would find on a 1911....or at least mine does not).

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    I bought a Sig P238 and really like it for CC.

I have a need for a pocket pistol and am wondering which ones to look at. Having never fired any of them it's a bit of a challenge. I'm going to do my best to try some out before making a decision, but I thought that perhaps some folks on here could share their experience with some.

So far I've just looked at the LCP/LC9/S&W Bodyguard. I like the idea of 9mm over .380, but .380 is sufficient. I'd prefer that it not be a revolver, but I'm not entirely opposed to the possibility.

So my order of priorities is like this:
    Reliability
    Ease of Concealment (WEIGHT highly important)
    Holster Options
    Caliber
    Price

A big perk would be a DA/SA trigger instead of DAO, but beggars can't be choosers :):

The purpose of this piece will be for carrying when I am unable to use my regular carry setup.

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I have a Colt Pony pocket elite, No hammer to catch on the way out. Not cheap, not a throwaway. It is my every day daylight carry, either left ankle or right pocket. Nice Colt.I guess they can sell it after I die.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    If ur planning on goin with anything much bigger than a tiny 380, check out the XDs, it's just as compact as the majority of the 9mm that were named and it fairly easily fits in a pocket, plus, ur gettin a .45
    c62bb52c.jpg

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I like my Beretta 21a with crimson trace grip sight & desantis pocket holster. I know it's a .22 but I can practice with it and have fun cheaply...

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    If ur planning on goin with anything much bigger than a tiny 380, check out the XDs, it's just as compact as the majority of the 9mm that were named and it fairly easily fits in a pocket, plus, ur gettin a .45
    c62bb52c.jpg
    I'm a convert.... I bought one last week... and I'll never go back. Small .45's rock! :ar15:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I am walking around with a .357 magnum Ruger sp101 in my front pocket. It fits all of your criteria except for the "I'd prefer that it not be a revolver" part. It can have any level of power you want from anemic to irresponsible, it just depends on what you put in it.

I love the SP101. It's fun and accurate to shoot. I carry it in a fanny pack when I ride the bike trail. I have IWB carried it and it is fairly comfortable. The biggest thing with it is it is heavy. It weighs like 28 ozs. You need a belt for waistband carry or tighter jeans for pocket carry.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    Kahr PM9 or CM9. I have the PM9 and it fits nicely in my front pocket. It does have a long trigger pull but it is smooth. The little gun is actually fun to shoot as well.

What he said. Really like the Kahrs. If you don't mind uping the ante ( $$), I'm very fond of my MK9, especially in summer. I don't mind the added weight versus the added controlability. A Desantis IWB works nicely for me.
    :twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When considering a handgun for concealed carry, I decided that my minimum caliber would be .38 SPL or 9mm. Pocket carry seemed to be the best solution for me as I wanted to always have my handgun concealed. I decided that I wanted something relatively lightweight, but still shootable. I also wanted something that wouldn't snag. I had carried heavier handguns, but they became cumbersome and I would tend to not carry them. I wanted something that I WOULD carry all the time. I settled on a S&W model 642. I carry Gold Dot 135 gr. short barreled ammo in it. I've been carrying it for probably 20 years or so and I've never been spotted as carrying as far as I know. I also got a set of Crimson Trace "boot grips" for the revolver. Besides being an aid in shooting, I figure that it may be a deterrent to an attacker to have that red dot on his chest.
    I recently acquired a Kahr CM9. So far, I've been favorably impressed with it. Mine feeds well and shoots well. The trigger pull is very smooth. With extra magazine, it is a little heavier than the S&W revolver, but carries more ammo (7 + 6) compared to the revolver's 5 + 5. Both handguns take a significant amount of training to be able to shoot consistently good groups because of the short sight radii. There is a Crimson Trace sight available for the Kahr. Both companies have a very good reputation for service and repair.

I'd have to say that right now, these are my top two picks for pocket carry. YMMV

Irishcs05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Carmel
    Why not more than one?

I like my LCP for summer. .380, I can shoot it well (with practice, though that's tough since it's a small gun.)

Something like a sub-compact glock/XD/M&P with an IWB holster for cooler times.

Resist the tyranny of or and embrace the freedom of and.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I settled on a S&W model 642. I carry Gold Dot 135 gr. short barreled ammo in it. I've been carrying it for probably 20 years or so and I've never been spotted as carrying as far as I know. I also got a set of Crimson Trace "boot grips" for the revolver. Besides being an aid in shooting, I figure that it may be a deterrent to an attacker to have that red dot on his chest.

Exactly how my 642 is currently setup. I recently had a gun smith smooth up the action a bit. Grips are the smaller plastic crimson trace. My gun is only a couple years old and has the internal lock. Ammo is the Speer 135 grain short barrel loads. I usually carry it in a Mika pocket holster or a Taugua IWB ultimate concealment. Right now I am at work so the gun is locked in a mini gun vault in my car.

Top Bottom