• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I don’t open carry any more because of an incident shortly after I first started carrying. I was in the mall and had a security officer come up to me and ask me if I would conceal my gun because people had reported a person with a gun and where nervous. The officer was very respectful about the situation. She was a full time officer in Indy just working a part time job. She said that she knew it was not against the law to open carry and that I didn’t have to leave, but would prefer I conceal my weapon. Most of my LE friends and customers ask the same that people conceal there weapons, because yes they do get reports of people with a gun. They say almost 100% of the time the person is a law abiding citizen and has a permit, but it still takes time out of there schedule to deal with something that turned out to be nothing. Most of the officers I know conceal when they carry off duty. Those who don’t also display their badges when they open carry off duty.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I was in the mall and had a security officer come up to me and ask me if I would conceal my gun because people had reported a person with a gun and where nervous. The officer was very respectful about the situation. She was a full time officer in Indy just working a part time job. She said that she knew it was not against the law to open carry and that I didn’t have to leave, but would prefer I conceal my weapon.

It's not your problem or worry if other people are "nervous". That is their problem. Politeness is a very wide used tactic to get you to give up your rights.

Plolitely say no thanks I prefer to open carry and carry on.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I think a lot of this has to boil down to where you live. Can you imagine me OCing in Carmel walking through Clay Terrace on a Saturday. Educating people or not I don't want the attention. If you live in certain parts of the state I'm sure this works better and by all means it is your right to do so. For me I just don't need the attention and don't feel like educating people or fielding questions. Also I don't want the Carmel Cops up my ass. I feel fine carrying concealed. To each his own :thumbsup:

I wonder what the response would be if one was to OC wearing a shirt and tie vs blue jeans and a polo. Or shoulder holster with a white shirt and tie carrying a suit coat over your shoulder. It would be interesting to track the numbers of calls and what clothing created the most calls.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I wonder what the response would be if one was to OC wearing a shirt and tie vs blue jeans and a polo. Or shoulder holster with a white shirt and tie carrying a suit coat over your shoulder. It would be interesting to track the numbers of calls and what clothing created the most calls.

This is one of the main points of the OCDO.org website. Pretty much all who open carry try to dress nicely so as not to raise to much alarm.

I think for the most part regardless of how you dress it's the sight of the firearm that makes people nervous.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    This is one of the main points of the OCDO.org website. Pretty much all who open carry try to dress nicely so as not to raise to much alarm.

I think for the most part regardless of how you dress it's the sight of the firearm that makes people nervous.

I agree but the guy in the suit will make everyone less nervous particularly if the other option is a guy dressed in camo pants and a T-shirt with "Go Ahead, Make My Day". :):

I know that Open Carry here in South Bend would create a little hysteria.

I figure if a gun has a holster its a good guy. If there isn't a holster its most likely a BG.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    It's not your problem or worry if other people are "nervous". That is their problem. Politeness is a very wide used tactic to get you to give up your rights.

Plolitely say no thanks I prefer to open carry and carry on.

Yes it is my problem if people get nervous, because nervous people do not always think rationally. This in turn could put me in a position I don't want to be and that can be avoided. What right was I giving up? I was not ask to leave and was not told I had to conceal. Just out of curiosity how long has every one been carring. I have carried my self for over 12 years don't remeber the exact date.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes it is my problem if people get nervous, because nervous people do not always think rationally. This in turn could put me in a position I don't want to be and that can be avoided. What right was I giving up? I was not ask to leave and was not told I had to conceal. Just out of curiosity how long has every one been carring. I have carried my self for over 12 years don't remeber the exact date.

How can someone not thinking rationally cause you a problem other than Hi, how ya doin with LE?

You were giving up your right to open carry. No you were not told to conceal it. You were asked, nicely.
    Whether you were told or asked makes no difference you were giving up a right.

As for time carrying I think I started around 2001 or so.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Ask any LE about irrational people. And Beau don't just assume I gave up my right. I never said I concealed my weapon, only that I was asked. I prefer now to maintain the element of surprise when I carry. Over the years I have come up with other reasons why I conceal my firearm when I carry. To each his own what ever makes everybody comfortable. The main thing is we have the choice.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    I use both methids for whatever is best for me at the time! I'm not really worried about how I make others feel. What do they have to worry about? Does it matter to me?

Just personal prefrence. Law states I can do it so I USE the LAW.

Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    Do you OC around Broad Ripple.

I use both methids for whatever is best for me at the time! I'm not really worried about how I make others feel. What do they have to worry about? Does it matter to me?

Just personal prefrence. Law states I can do it so I USE the LAW.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Most of the time. I don't wear a flack jacket and tank boots with it though.lol

I never have had a problem. here in indy or louisville. I guess I don't look the part of your normal "odd-ball bad guy" :n00b:

I go out to eat I sit against the wall but I allways have anyways, I like to get a good look at everything and nothing to my back.

With Odd trainning and common sense most people won't think twice about it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I am home I carry open most of the time, concealing only if I am going into a public enviroment, such as resterants, stores, mall...

I have never had an issue with LE when I have carried open. Then i also wear a pistol like most people carry a gerber or a buck knife on their belts. It is a tool not a toy. I have found if you act reasonable and responsible most people don't even notice you are carring in the open or our willing to not bring up the fact. And on the few occasions that it has been brought up I will conceal or remove myself from the situation as a responsible adult should.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    And on the few occasions that it has been brought up I will conceal or remove myself from the situation as a responsible adult should.[/quote]

I don't understand that last statement. What does being a responsible adult have to do with concealing your handgun or vacating the premises if someone comments on it?

PistolPete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    BroadRipple
    Most of the time. I don't wear a flack jacket and tank boots with it though.lol

I never have had a problem. here in indy or louisville. I guess I don't look the part of your normal "odd-ball bad guy" :n00b:

I go out to eat I sit against the wall but I allways have anyways, I like to get a good look at everything and nothing to my back.

With Odd trainning and common sense most people won't think twice about it.

Newman I also live in BroadRipple. I also go to Louisville a lot. Isn't it illegal to conceal in Kentucky?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OC bad idea

While I certainly respect everyones opinion that chooses to OC, the reasons posted for CC outweigh them. I'd like to add a few more;

- I wouldn't want IN law changed, in case I had to OC or somehow my CC was exposed. If enough people are worried that IN is turning into "the wild west" our law could change into Florida's. With all due respect, I don't want IN law to be hinged on any one individual's ability to "educate" the unknowing public, or any number of individuals doing the same. The people that actually can get across their point are typically professional communicators and they are very rare. That being said, there is a fairly large % of the public who will not be "educated."

- The snowballing effect of the suicidal mentally deranged, who want to take as many as they can with them, makes the OC guy the first shot.

- You find yourself in the, lightening strike, situation of being near an armed robbery, mass shooting, or even just lots of gunfire that you can't identify. You exit with a lot of other people around you to find someone has drawn their weapon on you, because they have seen yours. It could be another with a license to carry, a rookie cop, or the bad guy. You don't know because they are visibly rattled and not speaking. All the while, you've got an equally rattled person behind you screaming "you've got the gun, shoot him!"
    However extreme this may seem, you know in today's climate it is possible. You do NOT want to be there.

- Speaking of being a target, the OC guy is advertising the object of some people's desire. Be it a $1000-$2000 rig or just any means to rob the 7/11 or crack dealer. No matter how aware of your surroundings, you cannot absolutely protect your weapon under all circumstances. Your OC weapon can be compromised with another gun, a $10 pocket knife, or any blunt force object under the right circumstances. Don't believe it? Where are your hands when you are taking a whiz? Or opening your car door? Or picking up a $20 bill?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom