• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First off, this thread has caused me to really think about this whole subject. Thanks to everyone for their input.
    I have had my carry permit for about 9 years since moving to SE In from SW Ohio about 10 years ago. I teach CCW classes in Oh but can't carry there unless I want to get my Florida license. Screwed up laws!
    I have carried openly on rare occasions.
    After listening to all of the discussions I have come to several conclusions.
    I want the element of surprise 99% of the time.
    I don't want to worry about breaking the law if my coat comes open so I want the OC right to continue.
    I don't want to become a target of a criminal doing a grab or a friend grabbing it while horsing around if I OC.
    I don't want to draw attention to myself.
    I want to be the sheepdog. I have teeth if the need arises but I don't have to be showing them all of the time.
    Don

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks

Thanks for the reminder on FL nonresident license. I've got the paperwork coming.

Of course now I'll have to decide if it's worth $117 for 5 years to carry into Ohio a couple, maybe 3 times a year. But I guess that's kinda foolish thinking. $24 a year for what could be life saving security for my friends and I isn't really much of a question.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    or a friend grabbing it while horsing around if I OC.
    I have to comment on this.

You need new friends. I can't think of anyone I know whose foolish enough to try and grab a loaded firearm from someone.

Aside from violating every known safety rule about loaded guns, what do they think you are going to do? Out in public and 'someone' is going for your gun... like I said, you need to ditch those friends ASAP.

Back on topic, I've never had anyone try and grab my weapon. Also if you do need to pick something off the floor, don't bend over like you're in Cell block D and pull a "oppps, I dropped the soap!" moment. Bend with your knees, not your back. Just like you would if you are conceal carrying and don't want the butt of you gun to print.

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At present, I have no friends or acquaintances who would grab it. Most of us are gun owners and treat them very seriously.
    I used to be part of the Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association and we put on shows and demo's. Although it didn't happen to me, several of our people have had their guns pulled on by people in the crowd while walking around. We all keep a loop over the hammer until we ride and so they never got the gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cops loose their guns on occasion and, or have to fight for them. It's certainly not very often this happens, but it does happen. The whole point being that if your gun is not seen, it's never an issue.

Last edited:

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I open carried in Ft. Wayne today, 15Mar08. Went to the Kroger store down at the south end of town just off of Clinton St. Didn't get any reactions. Bought collard greens, cracklings and some smoked pork skin. I've open carried there before. Went to the Scott's grocery store up by the War Memorial Coliseum. Didn't get any reactions there, either. Bought a couple 6-packs of Warbird Beer and two fifths of Brown County wine and some hot peppers. I wasn't expecting any reactions. Next, I left Ft. Wayne and headed home, stopping at the Mad Anthony Tap Room in Auburn on my way north to Hamilton. Open carried in there while I had a pint of lager with my burger and fries. Didn't get any reactions there except the barmaid offered to buy me a pint. Told her I'd have to pass as I didn't want to be irresponsible. All in all, it was my usual open carry experience with the exception of the barmaid offering to stand me to a drink.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I don't have a suitable concealed carry handgun..yet. I do on occasion carry a handgun in my truck in a craftsman tool bag, but I leave it in the truck when I go in somewhere.

I grew up in Posey County, where there are still some woods to hike and hunt in. 25 - 30 years ago, my family would spend Sunday afternoons walking the woods. My stepfather would always open carry an old Colt Huntsman .22. I guess I picked up the habit and to this day I prefer to open carry some kind of .22 handgun when heading for the wood line, usually my Ruger Single Six. I generally don't run into folks out there, but if I do, it'll be your 4 wheeling or hunting types who won't go bug eyed over a little pop gun. I do follow the law, having picked up my Lifetime Handgun Permit last July.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a topic we discuss frequently in the Indiana Clubhouse at Glock Talk.

I carry openly sometimes, usually any time I think it is prudent to do so and I have no pressing need to conceal. We even have gatherings in the Indy area (usually in Speedway) where all in attendance carry openly. I didn't read through the whole topic, so someone else may have mentioned it.

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't. I'd really like to arrange a South Bend open-carry dinner though. Get a group of 12-15 guys (and gals) and grab a bite to eat somewhere.

Even though I don't OC, I would in this situation. I think it's good for people to see normal, law-abiding, responsible citizens like us with firearms. Little by little, we can wipe away that "only bad people and cops have guns" attitude.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    If any of you have an incident you can reference where a bad guy takes an openly carried pistol away from a non LEO please post it for review.

Even though I may not have time to talk to folks who may ask I do not try to hide my pistol when I am in public. Educating the public may be best by impression of normal activity through the day without requiring a mag dump on a parking meeter.
    Here is a thought. It does not belong on the table. Treat the pistol and the way it is carried as though it is not an issue and off the table.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    CC here. I wouldn't even consider open carry, I simply do not want the attention.... too many nutbags shooting places up lately, don't want people thinking I'm one of them.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Open carry would be fine if i was older. Since im only 20 years old, i would get bad looks everywhere. Now a 40 year old could do it without the looks i would get. I wouldnt mind open carrying if i was with other people who were.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Open carry would be fine if i was older. Since im only 20 years old, i would get bad looks everywhere. Now a 40 year old could do it without the looks i would get. I wouldnt mind open carrying if i was with other people who were.

Yeah I can feel you there... I'm 23 on Easter... and I get asked for ID at pg-13 movies... despite being 6'2 and hairy as Robbin Williams (got a baby face).

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    To those of you that OC and have been noticed by the authorities, have any of you had to show your LTCH to the officer?

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    :lmfao:
    I can't imagine Open Carrying going down very well in Bloomington
    It would be total pandemonium! It might cause a stampede on Kirkwood! It could cause a camp-in at Dunn meadow! Yeah, I don't think it would be too wise to open carry in B-Town.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have seen it on a few occations. They key is that the people doing it either looked like (a) off duty LEO, or (b) Grandpa. Mostly seen the latter.

Grandpas get away with all the best stuff.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Even though legal, I wouldn't carry openly because I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with the "man with a gun" complaints that may be called in. Besides, it's nobody else's business if I'm armed or not. I want it to be a surprise. ;)

+1

Top Bottom