• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    :lmfao: It would be total pandemonium! It might cause a stampede on Kirkwood! It could cause a camp-in at Dunn meadow! Yeah, I don't think it would be too wise to open carry in B-Town.

Not true. I know people who have and even have on occasion myself. I'm a student here, no grandpa or LEO look ;) I don't do it around the immediate campus, but if I head our to Walmart or Sam's, I'll open carry sometimes. No second looks and no "OH MY GOD CALL THE POLICE!!!"

Yes, I wish it were a more accepted practice, but its not totally taboo here.

Nate

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The point about appearance and demeanor is important. If you choose to carry openly, you'll have a lot fewer problems if you are neat and conduct yourself as a courteous, respectful member of society. If you go shirtless and have a pistol thrust into the front of your trousers, and act like a criminal, you'll be perceived as such.

We really do need to continue to reeducate the general public that carrying a gun is just a personal choice, and not some kind of personal problem or a sign that you're a criminal or a cop. People need to see other normal people going about their daily lives, but who happen to choose to carry gun. They need to be reconditioned to understand that if they see someone carrying a gun in a holster that ALL IT MEANS is that the person chooses to carry a gun, and it does not mean that they're a criminal, have violent intent, that they're a cop, or that they're trying to make some kind of statement about their personal worth or lack thereof.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The last rampage shooting I read about was at a Wendy's... The guy wore a suit and tie, acting like a criminal is pretty subjective don't you think?

Does "looking like a gun guy" deter attacks? - Topic Powered by eve community

Check out this thread from over at the S&W forum, kind of fits into this discussion.

-K

With the emphasis of the thread on OC, I believe the sentiment Rino was trying to pass along is to look like a responsible person. Although dress is no indication of responsibility, perception makes a difference.

"OMG I seen a (insert- Biker, Bubba, Redneck, Gangsta, Teenager) with a gun!"

BTW- Great link, very interesting

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    "OMG I seen a (insert- Biker, Bubba, Redneck, Gangsta, Teenager) with a gun!"

Hence don't ask don't tell:) Paul and I run into the issue of being young, I look older than I am and always have however I'm obviously a college student.

-K

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I open carry on occasion, mostly Lafayette and Indianapolis. Never had any problems in those two cities.

Only glitch I've had was in Wheatfield, Indiana where I stopped at a gas station for coffee. I walked back to the coffee display and Barney was chatting up the cashier.

Barn noticed my 1911 and by Kahr bug carried IWB and asked if I had a "permit". I advised that I had a license in several states, he shot back "what about Indiana?" I said yes, and gave him my wallet. He looked at it (moving his lips *snicker*) and then my driver's license and then looked at me, who was smiling, slurping coffee, and wiggling my eyebrows.

He then stated "uhhh, you have to carried your guns concealed in Indiana." I said, "No, I do not and I shall gladly educated you on the statute if you so desire. Do you have the code book that Mike (the elected Prosecuting Attorney of Jasper County) gave you?"

He blinked at me. "I'm a police officer." To which I acknowledged the obvious, "yes, you are. My eyes are fine, but if you insist that I must conceal when the law says that it is not required, then you can call your supervisor or arrest me. I will enjoy the civil suit and can guarantee that you will not."

I continue to smile (O.K., it may have been a smirk by then) as he stands there trying to process the fact that he is not dealing with unshaven, dirty Cledus Carhart who he is used to bullying around town. I ask "am I free to go." He stands there. "Am I free to go."

He nods. I pay for my coffee. I chat up the cashier about the weather and ask if they have the paper. I look around, well, I may have been parading/victory lap and then start for the door.

Barney calls out "sir, it's a good idea to cover up." I reply, "no thank you" and then leave. That was February 2003 and I've been carrying since 1988, sometimes openly, without incident.

Only time I will not open carry is in Lebanon/Boone County and that is because a man I respect, Ken Campbell, asked me not to. Hey, if Ken asks, then I don't. Every other cop, well, you picked the wrong gun owner to mess with.:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I love that story more each time I hear or read it.

Boone County is also the only place in Indiana where I choose to not carry openly because Sheriff Campbell specifically requested it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Only time I will not open carry is in Lebanon/Boone County and that is because a man I respect, Ken Campbell, asked me not to. Hey, if Ken asks, then I don't. Every other cop, well, you picked the wrong gun owner to mess with.:)
    Boone County is also the only place in Indiana where I choose to not carry openly because Sheriff Campbell specifically requested it.

What was the obviosly well respected Sheriff Campbell's reasoning for asking you not to OC?

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    There are good points to both arguments, and depending on where I carry, I open carry or conceal carry.

I open carry a good deal in West Lafayette, IN all around town even around campus. Wal-Mart, Gas Stations, Stores, wherever. I've never had a single issue, or even a person ask me if I am a cop. I did have one person ask a few weeks back in South Bend, but it was the waitress making small talk while we ordered. She was perfectly fine with it.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience so far with open carrying, and I am only 20 Years Old.

- I've carried infront of 4 officers at once. Not a word said to me. ( was a bit nervous though )

- State trooper at Autozone didn't say anything

- Moms at Wal-Mart, Subway, etc with little kids haven't even said anything even when their kids came running around towards me while we stood in line.

My experience has been completely positive. I do conceal carry at the movie theater, and mall though. Most of those places around here have specific signs that say no firearms, so instead of pushing their rules, I just keep it concealed. Depending on how I dress for the day, one is easier than the other. A nice dress shirt and paints, would definitely call for open carrying. Jeans and a sweatshirt would be conceal carry day. I don't care to look unprofessional because I want to carry a gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What was the obviosly well respected Sheriff Campbell's reasoning for asking you not to OC?

I didn't ask, so I could only speculate. I disagree strongly with his preference, but it's his county, and he's been telling us that since at least 2002 (when I first met him). I choose to abide by his wishes.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I didn't ask, so I could only speculate. I disagree strongly with his preference, but it's his county, and he's been telling us that since at least 2002 (when I first met him). I choose to abide by his wishes.
    So when did the state deed the county to him? did I miss something? If I had known the county was for sale I would have bid on it. :lmfao::stickpoke:

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    My question to you folks that open carry is, Why?

I see no advantage to it and nothing but potential headaches/problems. Besides the potential for being hassled by a not very educated police officer, or freaking out someone at the stop and rob, there is a potential for enflaming the masses. I think it would be better to educate folks that x-number of thousands of carry permits are issued in Indiana. Most people probably have no idea that they walk around with legally armed folks like us every day. I prefer to keep it that way. If they don't know, they can't complain. They can't say that its dangerous. And they can't argue that its unsafe.

Besides, if the shtf, everyone will know I have a gun. Why ruin the tactical advantage of surprise and why possibly identify yourself as target #1.

I wouldn't tell anyone not to carry, open or otherwise. I just think it is smarter all around to throw a jacket/sweatshirt/button-up over your sidearm.

Top Bottom