• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Do you want the City to pay the OT for the extra officers? It is private property. We can't make Simon Properties pay and they only pay $15 to $25 an hour for off duty officers. That's not even or hourly rate at work. Everyone wants more officers but no one wants to foot the bill.

Come on Denny

frustration on law abiding citizens part here

Simon Malls do need to step up and enforce the policies of no unattended teens under 16 in the mall. Simon needs to save this mall before it does go the way of Washington Square, Lafayette Square and Circle Center.

Realistically, we know police can not be everywhere. I read in the news that there were indeed MCSD on location. I don't know if that is normal or not, but they were there. The crowd of kids was to much for the 3 or 4 to handle though.

So now comes the pickle, do we avoid the mall like the plague and let them take over, or do we go more often to show them they will not win!?

Do we rely on Simon to do something about it!?

How about IndyGo not give free rides to IPS students except on school days?!

Just frustration, I don't go to Castleton Square, I did enjoy Washington Square in it's good days though. Now it's all Greenwood, if they don't fall to the same problems that is.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Simon Malls do need to step up and enforce the policies of no unattended teens under 16 in the mall. Simon needs to save this mall before it does go the way of Washington Square, Lafayette Square and Circle Center.

Agreed. As Denny347 stated "Its private property."

They can pick and choose who comes and goes. Its their show to run until they lose control and then it falls to a budget constrained civic entity to play catch up.
    Cover charges and wrist bands to get into the mall? I hope not but sadly our schools require metal detectors and armed guards.:(

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Maybe they'll issue a communique from their gated compound inside a gated community surrounded by their security force.

I agree with everyone here about the foolishness of the anti-gun policy

The Simons (when I have seen them) don't travel with a security detail. I have no idea what their personal views are, but it might be different than the reasons they have a no-gun policy on their properties. Maybe this even goes back to agreements set up by the older Simons for different reasons. They appear to hang with Democrats though so that may be a factor as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If the thug rats know there are lawful citizens ready to defend peaceful shoppers, this could be a deterrent.

No, it won't. That indicates a level of forethought that they lack, and ignores the fact they KNOW their opposing team thuglettes are often armed and have no qualms with shooting them.

This started when IMPD and MCSD started cracking down on Circle Center mall downtown. It just pushes them to another mall.

Given the right to peacefully assemble, lack of any applicable curfew laws, and the like, what exactly do you folks expect the police to do prior to any fight?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    No, it won't. That indicates a level of forethought that they lack, and ignores the fact they KNOW their opposing team thuglettes are often armed and have no qualms with shooting them.
    From what little I know, I agree. This is different than randomly picking out people to rob in the parking lot. We (hopefully) aren't going to fire our guns into a throng of people.

This started when IMPD and MCSD started cracking down on Circle Center mall downtown. It just pushes them to another mall.
    Are they shoplifting or doing anything else most of the time? Or are they just bored and using this as a hangout because they are too young for bars? I read a theory (I think from Freakonomics) that video game use is actually somewhat responsible for the drop in violent crime because more troublesome teens are staying home playing video games. Maybe we should add an Xbox to the list of freebies people get when they don't work.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    ...I say it's time to urge Simon properties to change their policy on lawful carry. If the thug rats know there are lawful citizens ready to defend peaceful shoppers, this could be a deterrent.

Although I don't care for Simon's policy, and I avoid their properties as much as possible, changing their policy won't improve anything. 1) Given the lack of consideration for others that the troublemakers display, it will probably lead them to try to provoke a confrontation, and it won't end well for either party. 2) Do you want to be the first person (possibly white) to pull or fire your gun at one of the rowdy teenagers (possibly black) and try to justify your actions? Personally, I have too many other things to spend my time on.

Has anyone been removed from the mall for carrying concealed? Seems to me that protecting oneself is the primary objective.

Simon Properties wants to make money. How much money is Lafayette Square making?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Although I don't care for Simon's policy, and I avoid their properties as much as possible, changing their policy won't improve anything. 1) Given the lack of consideration for others that the troublemakers display, it will probably lead them to try to provoke a confrontation, and it won't end well for either party. 2) Do you want to be the first person (possibly white) to pull or fire your gun at one of the rowdy teenagers (possibly black) and try to justify your actions? Personally, I have too many other things to spend my time on.

Has anyone been removed from the mall for carrying concealed? Seems to me that protecting oneself is the primary objective.

Simon Properties wants to make money. How much money is Lafayette Square making?

Not being an expert in property management, I expect that enforcing loitering policy would be more effective than lifting the "no weapons" sign. That is especially true now that Shannon Watts and her cronies would target Simon malls if they lifted their policy.

When I was at a convention in NYC, I tried to lean back and take a 10-min nap on a quiet sofa during a conference break. The hotel security quickly reminded me to sit up. He was polite to me, but the nicer properties there just can't allow anyone to look as though they are "hanging out". The problem at the mall though if that if you want the food court and the theater to be able to function, some people are just going to be "waiting". And even a busy shopper takes breaks.

I wasn't aware they had an "unattended teen" policy.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    "No life was lost here. No property was lost here. It was just kids being unruly and we ended it very quickly," he said. "To us, that was a win."

Simon needs to step up and tell the public how they intend to prevent this in future. Otherwise why would people continue to take their custom there?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    So, will Castleton end up on the list of dead malls like Lafayette Square did?

it will end up like,

Lafayette square and the entire 38th street strip
    Washington square
    Every shop on Shadeland ave
    Castleton square
    Circle center
    East gate mall

Whos next?

And Simon isnt doin squat, they cant even patch 6 year old holes in their lots.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Simon needs to step up and tell the public how they intend to prevent this in future. Otherwise why would people continue to take their custom there?

Amazon.com (among others). No riots or shootings (except by me, sometimes) at my house when the UPS or FedEx guy leaves my order on my porch. To hell with Simon and their death traps.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Mall Escape Route?

So the mall riot breaks out, what escape route do you follow to get you and your loved ones to safety? Did not work in a mall growing up but as I recall most stores have a back room that exits to a service hallway which ultimately has an outside exit.

Aim for the Employees Only sign and enter the back room? Ignore the authority of the teenager with a name badge and bear spray keep moving to safety?

Once in the corridor look for the EXIT sign which will lead outdoors. Disregard the push bar that says ALARM will sound and head out the door?

Of course if simply moving to a safe public exit is an option that would be the low hassle, fast way out.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    What's the problem with simply letting the mall/s die ?

I don't think the problem is in regards to letting the mall(s) die. I think the big issue is where are these problem teens going after the mall(s) die. If we don't deal with them where they're at now then where will they end up in the future? :twocents:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Amazon.com (among others). No riots or shootings (except by me, sometimes) at my house when the UPS or FedEx guy leaves my order on my porch. To hell with Simon and their death traps.

But all of this public disorder, from the malls to Ferguson, to Berkeley, is deranging society and commerce. We can hunker down, I suppose, but for how long?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    But all of this public disorder, from the malls to Ferguson, to Berkeley, is deranging society and commerce. We can hunker down, I suppose, but for how long?

What can "we" do? I can't teach them manners. Admonishing them in public for their boorish behavior will likely be rejected. Call the police and they'll just disappear into the night when/if they show up. Voting for Jeb Bush or Gary Johnson or Mike Pence or my state senator Steele can't make parent(s) lead by example. Me setting an example in public will be ignored (if I'm lucky). I doubt getting Al Sharpton involved will do anything except line his pockets. More public programs will only lighten my pockets.

I don't know how to direct the thugs to a living of common decency. But I can do my best to not put me or my family amongst them. And there is one final line, that if they cross it, and I've prepared adequately, will be where I'll be ready to take a personal stand.

Top Bottom