• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Just a question why is he so opposed besides the ambi part to glock if I may ask? Lack of a safety, the look, grip? He may shoot that one better than any other like I came to find out after I refused one. But if he really does not want one my choice is the M&P.

Because it's a Glock.

Both the OG & I EDC M&Ps. She a Shield in 9, me a 45c. It's a solid platform [STRIKE]but I'm not sure if it is ambi[/STRIKE]. EDIT: Duh - went and looked. 45c is ambi, Shield is not.

THEFAT45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Knox
    If your friend doesn't mind having a double/single action and price isn't a problem the HK P30 is a good choice. I am left handed as well and when they speak of ambi friendly guns most fall short, but that can not be said about P30s. They also come with different side and back plates so you can mold the grip to most peoples hand. I can convert it to fit my hand (XL glove) or my wife's mush smaller hand (S glove). Gun comes with a decent trigger. Happy shopping that's just my 2 cents.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I like the Ruger American. I bought myself a compact because I already had a 9E. If it isn't too chilly for him, we can meet at PROteq and I will bring the American and a few others for him to check out. Theothers are gonna no longer be available, like his Dad's Ruger, but he can try some of them out.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Have your friend and you borrow/rent several platforms. In both striker and hammer-fired DA/SA.

In SOME circles (that I follow on the FB), DA/SA is kind of making a comeback for CC purposes due to the hammer-down nature of carry - especially for AIWB purposes. Having different trigger pulls for different shots is a training issue that can be overcome - if the shooter is willing to put in the work.

As far as non-Glock alternatives:

They've all been mentioned except for Steyr. And perhaps the new Avidity Arms PD10 - a single-stack 10rd 9mm that's the brain child of trainer Rob Pincus. It's kind of like a single-stack XD without the stupid grip safety. The gun has me intrigued... (actually, upon looking, the PD10 seems, essentially, a worked-over Bersa BPCC)

My own personal experience leans heavily towards the M&P pistols. But I could just as easily say "Glock".

I only have a few mags worth through the H&K VP9. They're nice looking, accurate. But they feel "tinny" to me upon handling and shooting. Like the way an older Honda car would sound when shutting the door vs. that of an older Buick or something.

I've only dry-fired the Sig P320. On those, to me, the triggers feel "sproingy". Like lots of stacking and much before it broke. Don't know how it'd be upon actually firing.

Only dry fired the Walther PPQ M-2. They're nice triggers. A BIG Glock aficionado I know is in the process of switching completely to the M-2 platform away from Glock due to the ergos and trigger.

Many like the XD pistols. I don't. I'm not a fan of an unnecessary grip safety on a defensive handgun. I submit that the chance of needing a firearm is quite rare, but the odds of things going south WHILE things are going south are quite high. I want the ability to fire the firearm with a less-than-optimal grip on the firearm should I have to. Cannot do that with the XD. Also cannot rack the slide of an XD without the grip safety depressed. Again, should things go south...things go south. I want the advantage on MY side.

If he wants slimmer single-stack options, then the Shield, Bersa BPCC 9mm, and Kahr offerings merit looking into. I love my Shield. I love the grip and trigger on the Bersa though I've not fired one. GREAT triggers. If I'd bought a Kahr CW-9 instead of a CW-40, I'd probably still have it. Friends don't let friends buy polymer Kahrs in .40 S&W.

DA/SA: Not nearly as familiar. Though I did used to own a nice satin nickel CZ75, a CZ40p, and a Beretta 9000s. I now no longer own any of those. And I've shot a few mags through an FNP-9, and a few mags through a Sig 229 and 239. If he wants a hammer-fired DA/SA - the sky's the limit on options.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    The grip texture on the FNS9 does feel aggressive at the gun counter. I came to really appreciate it while doing reloading drills on a hot summer day though. It makes a positive connection between you and the gun. Left handed or right, it didn't matter. My suggestion would be, if he initially liked the FNS9, is to try to rent one and try it. Would be happy to let him try mine if you are ever in the Plymouth/Culver area.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Another nice advantage to the P07 is that the +2 mag extenders only add about a quarter inch to the mag length. That gives you a very concealable 17+1 round mid-size gun that has the ability to run 21 round spares if you are feeling really shooty.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Any preference for hammer or striker? For the money, P-07 is a killer deal. As is TP9.

With so many great options on the market now, it really boils down in many cases to things other than the gun: ease of finding a holster, price you can negotiate, etc.

I'm still kicking myself for letting a P-07 sit in our local RK for <$400 for MONTHS.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    What's his opinion of a 1911, always fun at the range. The Taurus 92 may be an option if he does not like the magazine disconnect on the Beretta. I know Taurus gets hammered pretty hard. I have been lucky to not have any problems with the ones I have owned...

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I know some people have had good luck with Taurus. But with all the shady QC they've had why even take a chance when there's multiple handguns on the market that are proven better for about the same money?

Gabrielvox1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    Camby, IN
    Not gonna lie, trying to get to my 50 post count. That being said, I really like my XD over Glock. It's very much a personal feel, but I prefer the 1911-ish feel over the Glock. Don't disparage either gun though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Something with good resale so he can buy the Glock when he realizes his mistake.

He has fired my 23, 27, and 19 repeatedly. He just doesnt like them. But not for lack of exposure. He loves my Kimber though.

Not gonna lie, trying to get to my 50 post count. That being said, I really like my XD over Glock. It's very much a personal feel, but I prefer the 1911-ish feel over the Glock. Don't disparage either gun though.

He does like 1911s, but Im afraid he doesnt want to spend what a quality 1911 goes for.

Just keep interacting with quality posts like this, and you'll be there in no time. :welcome: In case you havent noticed yet, mods (and vets/addicts like me) notice a runner very quickly and any fluff posts with no merit will be summarily deleted. Good luck getting what you want from the classifieds (or selling your stuff) Oh, and for $25 you can skip the posting and just become a site supporter. Its worth it.

BTW, howdy neighbor!

Top Bottom