• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that if every single republican voter that felt this way would pull the L lever, Johnson would be our next President.

Eh, I don't know. I don't think a candidate that says the government should eliminate gay marriage as a government issue by legalizing it (along with marijuana) is going to get the hardcore religious right (who probably aren't too thrilled with Romney either).

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    For a while I was in the 'my conscience won't let me vote for either of 'em' category, but honestly I think THAT is the selfish standpoint. With very few exceptions, I think everyone here would agree that:

1. Obama or Romney will be elected.
    2. Both are awful candidates.
    3. Romney is better than Obama.
    With that on the table, I will only feel guilt if I don't do what I can to get the lesser of two evils in. I want to protect our liberties, plain and simple. Do I think a libertarian candidate would do it better? Absolutely. But don't we all agree that there won't be one in office? So if you vote for someone even YOU believe won't be elected, haven't you essentially harmed the cause of liberty? It's making a statement without doing anything to help safeguard our freedoms. I'm gonna do what I can to realistically protect you and me.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Eh, I don't know. I don't think a candidate that says the government should eliminate gay marriage as a government issue by legalizing it (along with marijuana) is going to get the hardcore religious right (who probably aren't too thrilled with Romney either).

I just found out your Vikings fan. Your opinions no longer matter to me.

:D

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    For a while I was in the 'my conscience won't let me vote for either of 'em' category, but honestly I think THAT is the selfish standpoint. With very few exceptions, I think everyone here would agree that:

With that on the table, I will only feel guilt if I don't do what I can to get the lesser of two evils in. I want to protect our liberties, plain and simple. Do I think a libertarian candidate would do it better? Absolutely. But don't we all agree that there won't be one in office? So if you vote for someone even YOU believe won't be elected, haven't you essentially harmed the cause of liberty? It's making a statement without doing anything to help safeguard our freedoms. I'm gonna do what I can to realistically protect you and me.

I don't agree with #3. I don't think there is a lesser evil. This sums up both establishment candidates.

59df63d5.jpg

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I just found out your Vikings fan. Your opinions no longer matter to me.

:D

Yeah yeah. It's the toughest job in the world. Only Buffalo fans can comprehend what Vikings fans go through. But I'll say this - no matter how much it hurts I've never jumped on or off the bandwagon, I cheer for them when they suck (and that usually seems to be the case lately), and of course, I'm very happy when they win.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Agreed! 100%:patriot: Now wait for the fall out:popcorn:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The same as four years under Romney. We'll still have a government that intrudes in our personal lives, we'll still have a President who will say whatever he needs to in order to get your vote, the Patriot Act, and TSA. We'll still have the IRS and concerns about how safe our Second Amendment rights are (but we should trust Romney because he SAYS they're safe). We'll still have a president who will spend money we don't have (even if it is in different places), and most important of all, we'll still have a president who owes special interests more than the American people.

If by some miracle Johnson were elected, this would all change, how? Yeah, I know, a vote for Johnson now is a vote to strengthen the "movement". Good luck with that.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana

^^This^^

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Well folks, when the dust settles in November I am very sure Romney will carry our great state, relegating most of the above posts to conversation. While I would love the most competent conservative person in the country for POTUS, I've been around the block a few times and realize we must work with what is out there.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin

Ordinarily I wouldn't be so quick to agree with point #3, but in this case I do. There is never a perfect candidate. But this time around (and i assure you it pains me to say this) it's much more about damage control. Four more years of obama and we won't even recognize this country.

Whether its apologizing for America every other week or stripping the work requirement out of welfare or a hundred other things, no president has done more to intentionally weaken this country.

I wish I could vote Libertarian (I have many times in the past). But if obama wins in November, being able to say to myself "At least I didn't vote for either of the establishment candidates" will be little consolation to me.

I think we all agree this country needs to be fixed. But four more obama years and it may be rendered unfixable.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    So is the Republican Party filled with RINOs or not? You can't have it both ways.

Huh? What are you talking about?

My comment was aimed at someone who doesn't like Romney but doesn't think Johnson has a shot at winning. I hear that a lot from people who are planning on voting republican.

It was a very simple comment, more to illustrate the point that he is not alone in his belief.

At no time did I throw out the RINO term. I reserve that term for the actually politicians themselves anyway, not voters.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ordinarily I wouldn't be so quick to agree with point #3, but in this case I do. There is never a perfect candidate. But this time around (and i assure you it pains me to say this) it's much more about damage control. Four more years of obama and we won't even recognize this country.

Whether its apologizing for America every other week or stripping the work requirement out of welfare or a hundred other things, no president has done more to intentionally weaken this country.

I wish I could vote Libertarian (I have many times in the past). But if obama wins in November, being able to say to myself "At least I didn't vote for either of the establishment candidates" will be little consolation to me.

I think we all agree this country needs to be fixed. But four more obama years and it may be rendered unfixable.

What's this country going to look like after 8 years of Romney?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    So if he wins, and you don't like him, you'll vote for the Democrat next time around?

LOL.

Perhaps.

Each and every election cycle, I look at the candidates and make the best decision based on a number of factors. If he doesn't shake out on top, then he doesn't get my vote. But like I've said here, it's not just about the issues, is about whats good for the country as a whole. A bad Romney may still better than a Good Nancy Pelosi.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Huh? What are you talking about?

My comment was aimed at someone who doesn't like Romney but doesn't think Johnson has a shot at winning. I hear that a lot from people who are planning on voting republican.

It was a very simple comment, more to illustrate the point that he is not alone in his belief.

At no time did I throw out the RINO term. I reserve that term for the actually politicians themselves anyway, not voters.

Not directly aimed at just you, but the libertarians who so often say the Republican Party is full of RINOs including voters. I thought you were in that camp, but perhaps I confused you with someone else. I'm sorry about that.

Actually I disagree with the term RINO altogether because it implies that Republicans are naturally conservative, which is not historically true. The Republican party has had its conservative wing, a smaller liberal wing, but mostly moderates of the McCain/Luger/Ford/Nixon variety. I'd rather see the party taken over by small government, fiscal conservatives who leave religious issues to the churches, and social issues up to individuals to determine for themselves.

Top Bottom