• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't think an officer asking to hold a legally carried weapon makes sense either. He has nothing to fear from people that aren't criminals. Criminals don't concern themselves with permits.. nor can they get one if they have a record. A person having a permit indicates on some level the kind of person you are dealing with. one that has kept his nose clean and has no serious criminal history. That in itself should create some latitude IMO.
    I'm not a cop but even I don't pretend to think that everyone with a license to carry is a good and lawful person. Scum bags an just outright idiots get gun licenses too.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not a cop but even I don't pretend to think that everyone with a license to carry is a good and lawful person. Scum bags an just outright idiots get gun licenses too.

Scum bags? Sure. But by definition if you can get a license you are a lawful person.

I'm curious. Indiana is a non notification state. So what if an officer asks you if you have a weapon. Can you tell them you do not have to answer that? Can you lie to them and say you are not carrying when you are? Would there be any repercussions to lying?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Scum bags? Sure. But by definition if you can get a license you are a lawful person.

I'm curious. Indiana is a non notification state. So what if an officer asks you if you have a weapon. Can you tell them you do not have to answer that? Can you lie to them and say you are not carrying when you are? Would there be any repercussions to lying?
    Just because someone doesn't have a record doesn't REALLY mean they are a proper person. Sure "technically" they are.

i won't lie to them. You can simply say I am exercising my right not to answer any questions. That's it. Give them your id and paperwork

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I disagree. They were asking what the laws were because they knew there was no law that allowed the police to take the weapon. If you listen to their tone you can clearly identify what they were getting at. They were wanting them to cite the law on camera... these guys weren't clowns. They are American citizens. Could they have acted more mature? Sure... but then again every police officer there gave the same b.s. excuse and violated their rights. I'd be pretty ticked off too if I asked for a supervisor who should know the law and takes the privilege to confiscate my legal firearm.

How did the guys in the car "force" the police to make harsh decisions? They didn't force the police to take the weapon, in fact they wanted the complete opposite. They wanted their ticket and to go on their way. The officers made their own decisions, they weren't forced to do anything except their job, which should have been to write a ticket and let them be on their way. The police were the ones forcing their opinion and power in that video. They forced themselves into the car and forcefully took the weapon away. It wasn't given to them...

An officer's opinion doesn't trump MY rights. I don't know about yours, but I'm an American and I don't care if I do have a bad attitude. That attitude doesn't give anyone permission to violate my rights or take my gun.

Feel free to climb in the car with these CLOWNS all you want. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them or be associated with them in any way. I am confident that I will be going home if I am in the same situation as those CLOWNS were. Being respectful to anybody will always go a long way even to those that don't deserve it.

Choose your battles Bro because that is one that they didn't win. If they were respectful they had a leg to stand on but they gave that up with their attitude.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Feel free to climb in the car with these CLOWNS all you want. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them or be associated with them in any way. I am confident that I will be going home if I am in the same situation as those CLOWNS were. Being respectful to anybody will always go a long way even to those that don't deserve it.

Choose your battles Bro because that is one that they didn't win. If they were respectful they had a leg to stand on but they gave that up with their attitude.

So you will willingly give up your rights and your firearm because someone asks you to? I guess that's your choice.

These guys went home... with their rights violated. There's nothing in the video that has anything to do with "not going home" at the end of a situation like this. The only thing in question is whether or not the police actually had a legal reason to take the firearm, which they did not. How you get any type of fatal outcome from this video is beyond me, but everyone went home at the end of it...

As for being respectful, they were respectful up until the point that the officer ordered the guy out of the car and to hand over the gun. The guy was even respectful enough to ask why the officer wanted him to step out, and the officer responded with the reason being to take away the gun for "officer safety". The guy then respectfully asked for his supervisor (smart move). Then as there were 4 officers, they still forcefully took away his weapon. Why in the world can 3 officers not protect 1 officer against a lawfully carrying person without violating his rights?

These guys weren't out walking around open carrying AK's and AR's like idiots looking for an interaction. They were driving like everyday people.

I don't go out looking for "battles" against anybody, but I can say with 100% confidence that if I was in the same situation as these guys, I would not hand over my gun. Like these guys, law abiding citizens don't deserve to be treated like criminals, regardless of the attitude they give after an officer orders them to give up their civil rights. As gun owners we are already facing more and more laws in certain states that limit what we can own. We don't need the laws to change to where an officer can willfully take our firearms at anytime they see fit.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

If it's discovered that you're lying, you'll certainly be detained well longer than if you don't. But as far as legal repercussions, none.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So you will willingly give up your rights and your firearm because someone asks you to? I guess that's your choice.

These guys went home... with their rights violated. There's nothing in the video that has anything to do with "not going home" at the end of a situation like this. The only thing in question is whether or not the police actually had a legal reason to take the firearm, which they did not. How you get any type of fatal outcome from this video is beyond me, but everyone went home at the end of it...

As for being respectful, they were respectful up until the point that the officer ordered the guy out of the car and to hand over the gun. The guy was even respectful enough to ask why the officer wanted him to step out, and the officer responded with the reason being to take away the gun for "officer safety". The guy then respectfully asked for his supervisor (smart move). Then as there were 4 officers, they still forcefully took away his weapon. Why in the world can 3 officers not protect 1 officer against a lawfully carrying person without violating his rights?

These guys weren't out walking around open carrying AK's and AR's like idiots looking for an interaction. They were driving like everyday people.

I don't go out looking for "battles" against anybody, but I can say with 100% confidence that if I was in the same situation as these guys, I would not hand over my gun. Like these guys, law abiding citizens don't deserve to be treated like criminals, regardless of the attitude they give after an officer orders them to give up their civil rights. As gun owners we are already facing more and more laws in certain states that limit what we can own. We don't need the laws to change to where an officer can willfully take our firearms at anytime they see fit.

You shouldn't have to give up your firearm, as it currently stands, but if an officer asks to disarm you, it's best to comply. You're not going to dissuade an officer who wants to take your firearm, from taking it. Your best bet is to verbalize your displeasure, and follow up with whatever outlets you have available.
    I can tell you that from that vid, the officers were pretty docile in their interaction. I know more than a few that would've dragged that guy out of the car once he told them he wasn't going to exit the vehicle.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You shouldn't have to give up your firearm, as it currently stands, but if an officer asks to disarm you, it's best to comply. You're not going to dissuade an officer who wants to take your firearm, from taking it. Your best bet is to verbalize your displeasure, and follow up with whatever outlets you have available.
    I can tell you that from that vid, the officers were pretty docile in their interaction. I know more than a few that would've dragged that guy out of the car once he told them he wasn't going to exit the vehicle.

Your pragmatism has no place here.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

"I have nothing illegal or unlawful on me or in the vehicle."

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    If they ask if you have a weapon and you respond like that what are you expecting as a response? "Oh ok then, have a nice day"
    Doubt that'd happen, seems if an officer asks this question then things are already going downhill, unless you get one of the officers who doesn't think guns should be limited to just government employees and just asks to see a ltch (which has been seen on ingo a few times).

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

"I didn't ask if you had anything illegal or unlawful on you or in the vehicle".... << That's my main concern with that response. Also, I think answering like that may tend to put some officers in the "Oh, another one of these guys" mode. Maybe I'm wrong, but Youtube tells me I'm not.

I keep it as simple as I can.

"Nope".

Kutnupe14, laid it out pretty simple. if the officer knows you have a weapon or suspects you do and he's one of the ones that feels like he has to have it, he's going to find a way to get it. I just don't see why introducing the firearm (or acknowledgement of) or the dance of "do I?" "don't I" will help anyone or the situation at all.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I'm curious. Indiana is a non notification state. So what if an officer asks you if you have a weapon. Can you tell them you do not have to answer that?

Yes, that is my preferred method. Simple and to the point. If asked again, simply decline to answer again.

A good officer will continue on with whatever the original detainment entailed rather than turning it into a circus of justification attempts like the officers in the video.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If they ask if you have a weapon and you respond like that what are you expecting as a response? "Oh ok then, have a nice day"
    Doubt that'd happen, seems if an officer asks this question then things are already going downhill, unless you get one of the officers who doesn't think guns should be limited to just government employees and just asks to see a ltch (which has been seen on ingo a few times).
    If an officer asks, then they have some reason I suppose. I would imagine they expect to be lied to a lot with this question.

Full disclosure, I've never been asked asked, and only volunteered in Kansas since I wasn't sure about the law.

There's always the, "I do not answer questions." tactic. Why do we consider it so rude when our question gets met with silence? I think we'd rather be cussed out or lied to than ignored.

Want to **** off my wife? Don't answer her question. When I'm in the bathroom, there's a forceshield and ignore all - that doesn't sit well with her.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

All I have for you is just Wow. Good luck cowboy :draw:

Exactly my point Kut. Once the officer asked for his firearm he was not going to let it go.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    If an officer asks, then they have some reason I suppose. I would imagine they expect to be lied to a lot with this question.

Full disclosure, I've never been asked asked, and only volunteered in Kansas since I wasn't sure about the law.

There's always the, "I do not answer questions." tactic. Why do we consider it so rude when our question gets met with silence? I think we'd rather be cussed out or lied to than ignored.

Want to **** off my wife? Don't answer her question. When I'm in the bathroom, there's a forceshield and ignore all - that doesn't sit well with her.
    Makes sense to me, I agree the "I do not answer questions" is just setting yourself up for a bad interaction, though it is well within a law-abiding citizens right. I'm lazy and tend to take the path of least resistance though, and I see no reason not to tell the officer what they want to hear though and thats my choice; our rights allow us the option to choose how we inform without punishment, some make use of this and other do not... The choice is up the law-abiding citizen, as it should be.

P.S. My GF is the same way :laugh:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Makes sense to me, I agree the "I do not answer questions" is just setting yourself up for a bad interaction, though it is well within a law-abiding citizens right. I'm lazy and tend to take the path of least resistance though, and I see no reason not to tell the officer what they want to hear though and thats my choice; our rights allow us the option to choose how we inform without punishment, some make use of this and other do not... The choice is up the law-abiding citizen, as it should be.

P.S. My GF is the same way :laugh:

+1 :yesway:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    All I have for you is just Wow. Good luck cowboy :draw:

Wow? Why do you think it takes luck or a cowboy to decline such a foolish request?

If an officer really wants to take my gun, he's going to have to actually take it without my consent. I can't imagine a scenario where I would even consider unholstering or otherwise retrieving it myself and handing it over on demand.

Good luck is what you'll need when you comply with such a foolish request and some other officer reacts to your furtive movements with less than a complete understanding that you were just following orders.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    My INGO sticker which says, "I <3 guns" places me in the cross-hairs during a traffic stop for a weird encounter. I look forward to posting, "what would I do", because I will video tape it. Yet, dont expect much, I'm a mild mannered person. I don't think un armed meter maid would feel threatened by me.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Wow? Why do you think it takes luck or a cowboy to decline such a foolish request?

If an officer really wants to take my gun, he's going to have to actually take it without my consent. I can't imagine a scenario where I would even consider unholstering or otherwise retrieving it myself and handing it over on demand.

Good luck is what you'll need when you comply with such a foolish request and some other officer reacts to your furtive movements with less than a complete understanding that you were just following orders.

+1

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ATM again.

Meh I tried anyways

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Given that no officer I know would allow a person to disarm themselves, the way you framed your response, it appeared that you were saying that you would physically resist an officer's attempt to disarm you.

Top Bottom