• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Being a fanboy is something none of us should aspire to be. To me, the label 'fanboy' is another way of saying that we've closed our minds to any new information and ideas. If you buy into a platform and run it hard successfully, I don't think you become a fanboy, you just gain a high level of confidence in that platform. For example, look at CM's preference for Springers. He's not a Springfield fanboy, but he's had his hands inside enough 1911s to know what he can get consistent results from. He knows what Springfield builds their 1911s out of and he knows how to get the best out of them. If he were a fanboy, he'd knock other guns simply because of the rollmarks they lack, not because of the metal used in manufacture.

The author of the video would have retained his credibility as an instructor if he had said 'How a lack of training will get you killed'. If he had pushed for people that choose 1911s to learn their tools well so they don't make mistakes, he would have been doing a service. Instead, he used it as an opportunity to sell his companies guns at the cost of his credibility.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Being a fanboy is something none of us should aspire to be. To me, the label 'fanboy' is another way of saying that we've closed our minds to any new information and ideas. If you buy into a platform and run it hard successfully, I don't think you become a fanboy, you just gain a high level of confidence in that platform. For example, look at CM's preference for Springers. He's not a Springfield fanboy, but he's had his hands inside enough 1911s to know what he can get consistent results from. He knows what Springfield builds their 1911s out of and he knows how to get the best out of them. If he were a fanboy, he'd knock other guns simply because of the rollmarks they lack, not because of the metal used in manufacture.

The author of the video would have retained his credibility as an instructor if he had said 'How a lack of training will get you killed'. If he had pushed for people that choose 1911s to learn their tools well so they don't make mistakes, he would have been doing a service. Instead, he used it as an opportunity to sell his companies guns at the cost of his credibility.
    While I do agree with you, controversy sells products. Look at Trump as an example.
    Jump off the ledge and get headlines.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

CM is a Springfield 1911 fanboy who hates Glocks. He does not care about his safety. :stickpoke:

Gotta keep this thing going.

johncarries

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2015
    South Bend
    After reading the article, the author has the right perspective with regards to close, 5 ft or less, encounters. A hand to hand combat training class and a knife is probably best in handling these types of threats. None the less, for long distance, 10-30 yards, I will rely on my S&W 1911 Elite w Crimson Tide laser sight. I found it to be a reliable accurate piece for handling possible long distant threats. Especially at night.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I don't have a 1911 at the moment. I need to get another one. Reasons?:
    They're ultra reliable
    They are dead nutz accurate
    They make almost anyone look good.
    They are very easy to shoot well.
    They truly hate commies.
    They kill people D - E - D, ded. (I had to spell it that way so the Glock boys would understand :laugh:)
    Oh, and John ****ing Wayne....

P.S. and Col. Jeff Cooper, too. :p
    I get that and I liked it, because Glock people are drawn to the abuse!

OK 1911 story from the Zoub files:

A few years ago my Bro and I both saw some show or movie on TV and we were talking about it. I mentioned it reminded me of a story of our Dad's about being in a gun battle in a cemetery at night in the fog. Taking cover behind a grave with a pair of 1911's. Apparently I am the only one who ever heard that story. My brother says WTF was he doing with a pair of 1911's? He was doing some recon and traveling light, just a pair of 1911's and a big bag of hand grenades.

There was a time when 1911's were considered light weight!

He has long since passed but I developed a theory why he started doing that. He was clearly no fan of the M1 carbine for long running gun fights behind enemy lines. There were also plenty of battlefield pickups and he just replaced the carbine given him with handguns and grenades. Kept his hands free for operating weather equipment and radios, he trusted them more.

I have a pretty good wife (ex wife) story and secret gun purchases story too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    CM is a Springfield 1911 fanboy who hates Glocks. He does not care about his safety. :stickpoke:

Gotta keep this thing going.
    That's easy.

Things I overheard CM saying:

Cerakote or Duracoat?

Does this shade of green match my eye color?

Do you know how hard it is to find a convertible with an interior color that goes with both my hair color AND my 1911.

I spend more on my haircuts then you do on your used cop Glocks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After reading the article, the author has the right perspective with regards to close, 5 ft or less, encounters. A hand to hand combat training class and a knife is probably best in handling these types of threats. None the less, for long distance, 10-30 yards, I will rely on my S&W 1911 Elite w Crimson Tide laser sight. I found it to be a reliable accurate piece for handling possible long distant threats. Especially at night.

If an attacker is within my circle of power (5ft) and I have a 1911 it will be used as a bludgeon. They work very well in this role. I have personal experience in this.
    I would not want to get smacked with a plastic gun either but the blood flow's very quickly when a 1911 is properly applied to the head/face. Far less paper work than if you shoot them.
    I am an old dog and use all the tricks.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Has anybody ever shot a handgun upside down? Can you imagine all the things that can go wrong. I honestly don't think I have ever even done the sideways gangster ****.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Has anybody ever shot a handgun upside down? Can you imagine all the things that can go wrong. I honestly don't think I have ever even done the sideways gangster ****.

I have done the sideways thing in training scenarios. Never even occurred to me to do this inverted.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have seen builders demonstrate "reliability" by shooting while rotating the gun all the way around the clock. Personally I don't think it really proves much but the audience always seems to like it. I have shot matches where you were required to lay on your right and left side side while shooting under a low obstruction. None of my guns have ever choked while doing that. But it does make getting a good sight picture...interesting.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    In tunnel rat school I did fire a 1911 upside down...well I was upside down firing over my head but the weapon itself was right side up. BTW a .45 is really LOUD in a narrow tunnel...I wonder why my ears still ring...

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I can not even imagine firing a .45 ACP in a tunnel. I assume you couldn't use any hearing protection in that situation, correct?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In tunnel rat school I did fire a 1911 upside down...well I was upside down firing over my head but the weapon itself was right side up. BTW a .45 is really LOUD in a narrow tunnel...I wonder why my ears still ring...

Huh?
    My ears hurt just thinking about that.

Top Bottom