Indiana Black Expo, what are you doing to get ready?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Wow, that was hard to watch. It was awfully nice of that good samaritan at the end to check that unconscious guy's pockets to see if he had a medical history so he could alert the paramedics when they arrived.

Staying in Evansville.

Ya think?

"Indiana Black Expo generates $38 million for the city."

Always follow the money and you'll get your answer. :rolleyes:

Is $38 million for an entire weekend(or however long it lasts) even that much money? Subtract all the crime, $$$ for extra LEOs and businesses closing down and I wonder what the number is?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Is $38 million for an entire weekend(or however long it lasts) even that much money? Subtract all the crime, $$$ for extra LEOs and businesses closing down and I wonder what the number is?

There are extra police for any big event and I am sure there are damages with them also but I am not a LEO so I am not 100% sure about it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Even if you're correct, the city would never be able to shut IBE down or refuse to host it. Could you imagine if they tried?

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm ready for the black expo. I've chained my bigscreen tv to the floor. Went ahead and put my car on cinderblocks and told my GF not to go outside :)

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    BTW, Que that's a really nice offer and you seem like a great guy, but for some reason or another I don't think I'd feel very welcome there.
    from my experiences in situations where a crowd is all black and a black guy shows up with white people, que might not be welcome either.

we once got bounced out of a club and were told to "take your uncle tom with you". ive had similar situations 3 or 4 times. :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    from my experiences in situations where a crowd is all black and a black guy shows up with white people, que might not be welcome either.

we once got bounced out of a club and were told to "take your uncle tom with you". ive had similar situations 3 or 4 times. :dunno:

I am really surprised by that. Most of the places I have been where one black man or woman shows up in a group of white folk, everyone bends over backwards to welcome him/her. In fact I often wonder if they will make the guy uncomfortable being overly friendly. But that has just been my experience.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Even if you're correct, the city would never be able to shut IBE down or refuse to host it. Could you imagine if they tried?

The city can't, but the Convention Center can. Heck, if a couple-dozen other big events canceled because they didn't want to be associated with IBE, the Convention Center would drop them in a heartbeat.

Right now, its all about the money. The Convention Center and the CIB are raking in the dough, and other folks get to foot the bill. No reason to change anything from their perspective.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I am really surprised by that. Most of the places I have been where one black man or woman shows up in a group of white folk, everyone bends over backwards to welcome him/her. In fact I often wonder if they will make the guy uncomfortable being overly friendly. But that has just been my experience.
    depends on the crowd i guess. the whole issue started bc i danced with a black girl. i felt like it was 1950s alabama, but reversed. :):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    in all honesty i would have killed him.

I wondered about this. How much of this guy leaning into my car punching me in the face do I put up with before I put one between his beady little eyes? I think I would have had it in hand when I saw him approaching and his big fat mouth running.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Never heard about Oktoberfest? Really? If something is even remotely German, they throw a party for Oktoberfest! The Greek Festival is usually all over the local news. The French Festival was practically in my backyard for 8 years, and was bigger every year. And yes, the others could advertise more than just on the local TV stations and local papers.

Yes, I have attended many of these events, and will continue. No event is 100% crime free. There are always a few bad apples (drunks, idiots, etc...). When would I chose to not attend an event?
    - when previous experience has told me I am not welcome
    - when the local and national news reports an increase in violence during the event

Would you really suggest that I take my wife and infant daughter for a walk wound the circle after dark on THIS Saturday evening?

I've heard about all kinds of cultural events, but I'm specifically addressing dates and times. How were these events publicized?

Which year did you attend the Expo and you felt like you weren't welcome? What happened to make you feel like you weren't welcome. Anyway, I guess, due to your reply, you don't go a lot of places you don't necessarily feel welcome, but I suggest you try it. You just may meet some nice people who will not only make you feel welcome, but you may find that you have a lot in common with them.

I wouldn't suggest you take your wife and infant daughter for a walk around the circle after dark on any Saturday night. I often see a lot of bikers around there on Saturday nights and they look pretty mean. Years ago, I was told not to ride downtown on Saturday nights or not to go into any town with ...wood, ...ville, etc., in the name. I go wherever I want and yes, I take my family with me. If it's a public event, I welcome myself.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I wondered about this. How much of this guy leaning into my car punching me in the face do I put up with before I put one between his beady little eyes? I think I would have had it in hand when I saw him approaching and his big fat mouth running.

I think E5 has the right idea. Put your shoplifters on me while I'm sitting in my car and there's a good chance you won't have to chance to wish you didn't.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom