Indy prosecutor seeks death penalty in shooting death of IMPD Officer Perry Renn

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Here's hoping Davis' judge reads the complaint in court, does a LOL, slaps Davis in his "right cranial" and dismisses the suit as frivolous, then struts out of the court room enroute to a trendy cocktail.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    These people are ****ing idiots. "He should have stayed in his car, he wouldn't have been shot." LOLOK all cops should stay in their car.

Wipe these people from the face of the earth.

"Mam the supreme court turned you down on this thing, 'Is that a good thing or a bad thing?'"

Indiana Supreme Court rejects Curry misconduct complaint in Perry Renn shooting | Fox 59

^^His momma was claiming that the officer was killed by a can of mace exploding, and not the bullet that pierced his lungs and heart. Filed some bs with the Indiana Supreme Court saying the autopsy was wrong (because she went to college) and it got denied and she doesn't even know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

NO AK-47 HERE THOUGH.

spell it with me guys, M-O-R-O-N

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Pretty certain that if (when) this choad gets a settlement (which I put on the City right now at 50/50), ...

Personally, I don't see a settlement happening in this case.

Here's hoping Davis' judge reads the complaint in court, does a LOL, slaps Davis in his "right cranial" and dismisses the suit as frivolous, then struts out of the court room enroute to a trendy cocktail.

Personally, I don't see a dismissal happening in this case - at least not right away. Maybe on summary judgment, which will be in several months, maybe a year.

Here's how both of those points intersect: cop killer is going to want a bajillion dollars, plus interest. The cost to litigate this (not to mention the principle of the matter) will ALWAYS be less than what he wants. So, the City will litigate it and win.

This is not a situation IMHO where the cost of litigation would be more than the value of the case. Now, if the guy asked for $50k, then the hard conversations have to happen about the principle of the matter. Even then, I don't see Hogsett, who fostered a working relationship with LEOs as US Attorney, authorizing a settlement of any significance.

My handicapping of the odds of settlement: less than 5%.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Giving this piece of **** anything but a bullet in the head is a disservice to the cop's family and to the public. You'd be sending a message that not only is it ok to shoot at / kill a cop but you also can get rewarded for it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Giving this piece of **** anything but a bullet in the head is a disservice to the cop's family and to the public. You'd be sending a message that not only is it ok to shoot at / kill a cop but you also can get rewarded for it.

He should get rewarded... with a bullet.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Personally, I don't see a settlement happening in this case.

Personally, I don't see a dismissal happening in this case - at least not right away. Maybe on summary judgment, which will be in several months, maybe a year.

Here's how both of those points intersect: cop killer is going to want a bajillion dollars, plus interest. The cost to litigate this (not to mention the principle of the matter) will ALWAYS be less than what he wants. So, the City will litigate it and win.

This is not a situation IMHO where the cost of litigation would be more than the value of the case. Now, if the guy asked for $50k, then the hard conversations have to happen about the principle of the matter. Even then, I don't see Hogsett, who fostered a working relationship with LEOs as US Attorney, authorizing a settlement of any significance.

My handicapping of the odds of settlement: less than 5%.

Pro Se prisoner case? I've never worked for Indy, but I have done cases for several Region governmental entities. Numbers be damned, given the facts of this case, a demand of $5k wouldn't draw a second look in my experience.

I got my 7th Circuit bar admission to do a Pro Se prisoner case with under a year's experience. Between the crappy facts and the PLRA, the deck is stacked against this a-hole getting anything.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Indiana Supreme Court rejects Curry misconduct complaint in Perry Renn shooting | Fox 59
    ^^His momma was claiming that the officer was killed by a can of mace exploding, and not the bullet that pierced his lungs and heart. Filed some bs with the Indiana Supreme Court saying the autopsy was wrong (because she went to college) and it got denied and she doesn't even know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

"It is my story and I think the whole world should know there's things that you all do not know about."

So, make **** up and try to stir public support in an attempt to put pressure on Curry.

Cynthia Davis and her son's girlfriend, Latosha Ruffin, were targeted by IMPD and the HUD inspector general during an Oct. 9 raid as part of a public housing fraud investigation.
    "We're being persecuted by these cops, sure we are criminals but we don't hurt nobody, we're innocent!"

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Pro Se prisoner case? I've never worked for Indy, but I have done cases for several Region governmental entities. Numbers be damned, given the facts of this case, a demand of $5k wouldn't draw a second look in my experience.

I got my 7th Circuit bar admission to do a Pro Se prisoner case with under a year's experience. Between the crappy facts and the PLRA, the deck is stacked against this a-hole getting anything.
    I'm with Hough's, absent some really bad facts for the city lurking out there, I would give it well under a 5% chance regardless of $amount.

Plus, if memory serves doesn't he fail as a matter of federal law if criminally convicted of the murder?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

I'm with Hough's, absent some really bad facts for the city lurking out there, I would give it well under a 5% chance regardless of $amount.

Plus, if memory serves doesn't he fail as a matter of federal law if criminally convicted of the murder?

As time goes on, emotions fade. In the death penalty context, this is true both in terms of punishment and s1984.

I believe he is arguing that the officers were unreasonably violent when they shot/arrested him. So, that is independent of the guilt determination.

As I said, I don't see this getting past summary judgment, so it depends on how much the city wants to spend to defend it. I think they do their litigation in-house (could be wrong, it might be covered by insurance past the deductible), so that is basically a fixed cost (either way).

Part of the reason I brought up a nominal settlement is for the benefit of INGOers who may recall that I've made that argument in the past to explain why municipalities often settle "good" cases. :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The article says he is suing the officer he allegedly killed.

How is a murder conviction for killing him not issue preclusion for whether the now dead officer acted in lawful self-defense. the convictions would establish as a matter of law that the 9criminal) defendant tried to, and did, kill him, making any actions in self-defense up to and including killing, legal.

Admittedly, I have not seen the pleadings.

Top Bottom