• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    These internet forums are where we disseminate information on new laws, post letters and replies from the state legislature, and encourage others to call and write their representatives.

These internet forums are where we share experiences, ask questions that we don't know where else to ask, give advice, and help each other out.

These internet forums allow us to meet--online and maybe even in person--people we may have never had the opportunity to meet otherwise, are often the genesis and catalyst for lasting friendships, and can cause someone to drive 500 miles to attend a funeral for someone they may have never even met in person.

But yeah, it's just a friggin internet forum.

What does any of that have to do with having people whine and cry and get angry because someone else opines that you shouldn't trust cops or whatever? A conversation is a conversation, and the forum definitely is a wonderful tool, but at the end of the day we're just debating politics here. There's no need for people to crank up the righteous indignation.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Because you get pissed off when I just assume you are a criminal until you prove otherwise. Which is how I am regularly treated so why not treat others the same way? I'm sure you would be happier if all LEOs had the "**** you" attitude.

It's unfair, but as citizens we have little choice to some degree. Unless I know the LEO personally, I have to assume that every LEO with whom I come into contact is a bad one if only to protect myself.

If I assume he's not bad, and he is, I get hurt.

If I assume he's bad, and he's not, we all go home happy.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    6C2703D5-3A27-4C6F-B9D8-8FDA0809E63B-14991-0000182AC7D26E84_zps1520a153.jpg

65BC5AD8-AF50-42C1-8623-C55C20D4A041-14991-0000182AC2890812_zps8a0ec257.jpg

10E493EE-DB1F-42C0-8E90-9212EAF2369B-14991-0000182ABC7B0107_zpsd5466c93.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's unfair, but as citizens we have little choice to some degree. Unless I know the LEO personally, I have to assume that every LEO with whom I come into contact is a bad one if only to protect myself.

Hmmmmm, I've heard something similar before but where? :dunno:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I could say the same for you and every other non-LEO I come into contact with.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's pretty obvious that civilians have no idea of what it feels like to be cops.

And cops have no recollection about what it feels like to be civilians.

It's not that either side is more wrong than the other - on INGO or out in the 'world' - it's just that there is no effort to understand each other.

Any given post with criticism of a LEO (such as this thread): Cops will get defensive and that pretty much pushes any sort of conversation away from rational. Civilian screams for justice and good cops shrug and dismiss it because we just don't understand the job (which is true).

Frankly, it's all rather mellow dramatic and fruitless. And disappointing.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The drug war has ruined all of the public trust and legitimacy that law enforcement once had. They used to respect search and seizure rights, statistics were based on serious crimes and not just $$$ and drugs seized, etc. That all ended in 1971. The dirty secret about the drug war is that everyone, at all levels and in all positions (street people, citizens generally, street cops, their supervisors, lawyers, judges, corrections officers, and everyone else for that matter) knows that it's a total failure, but it continues anyway.

If the drug war had never happened, I'd still have the same view of cops that I had when I was 5 years old--that they were the good guys who protect us from bad people.

And I've never been high (or low) on any type of drug, ever, other than the legal drugs like alcohol and caffeine, which I use in moderation.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I could say the same for you and every other non-LEO I come into contact with.

I was under the impression most police officers did say this about non leo's they come in contact with. Every time I have been pulled over the officer approached my vehicle with their hand on their gun. If they are not assuming I am a bad guy why would they do that?
    I do not blame LEO's for assuming people are bad. There are a lot of bad people out there. You guys have to come in contact with them more than most so I see how that could skew your view in some ways.
    At the same time the majority of stories we read about officers are bad ones. Whether that is on here about gun owners rights being violated by over zealous officers or whether it is in the paper or on the news. It seems to me a good place to start would be for some of you guys to help teach other officers what the laws are. Would that be crossing that "blue line" where you guys protect each other whether right or wrong? We all know it exists.
    I have received many tickets in my younger days of driving. Most all of them well deserved and I admitted to it at the time. Never gave an officer a problem at all when giving me a ticket for something I had done wrong. I was pulled over once when I had truly broken no laws and given a ticket for reckless driving. I gave that officer a very hard time when he refused to tell me what I had done wrong. He told me I would find out in court. When I went to court to fight it he did not show so the ticket was dismissed. Huge waste of my time. This was in Tn. by the way.
    If this is "us against them" my question to you LEO's is what side are you putting me on? It really makes me feel (mr. law abiding citizen) nervous with some of what I have seen posted in this thread by LEO's.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If this is "us against them" my question to you LEO's is what side are you putting me on? It really makes me feel (mr. law abiding citizen) nervous with some of what I have seen posted in this thread by LEO's.

We didn't put you on either side. We didn't start this thread.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    This thread is not putting anybody on any side. That would be attitude's doing that. There are thread's of citizens doing stupid things everyday. I don't go on a **** this, and **** that rant about it. I am not one of those people. Most LEO's are not the people described here. For me the whole point of these thread's is to go against the idea that LEO's are on some sort of moral high ground above the rest of us. I just like you have seen many article's of police officers and officials saying they think they are the only one's fit to be armed. What makes them any more fit than me to be armed? Does a badge do that or is it the pretty uniform? You do a job just like I do a job.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just like you have seen many article's of police officers and officials saying they think they are the only one's fit to be armed. What makes them any more fit than me to be armed? Does a badge do that or is it the pretty uniform?

Stupidity does that. The police and officials that say that are idiots.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    It's pretty obvious that civilians have no idea of what it feels like to be cops.

And cops have no recollection about what it feels like to be civilians.

It's not that either side is more wrong than the other - on INGO or out in the 'world' - it's just that there is no effort to understand each other.

Any given post with criticism of a LEO (such as this thread): Cops will get defensive and that pretty much pushes any sort of conversation away from rational. Civilian screams for justice and good cops shrug and dismiss it because we just don't understand the job (which is true).

Frankly, it's all rather mellow dramatic and fruitless. And disappointing.

I think this is the most sensible post in the thread...

Top Bottom