• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have the Mark II Competition slab side 6 7/8" model. For the couple of minutes it takes to field strip I'll keep it and be happy, no need for the Mark IV IMO.

Main gripe about the Mark III is all the lawyer crap so maybe if I had the III model I might consider the IV. Either way kudo's to Ruger on a redesign of a already fine firearm.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Shot the MkIV today. 400 rounds, Federal, Remington and I finished up with 100 rounds of Winchester that comes in those red plastic boxes and silver label.

The gun is solid. Ran like sewing machine without malfunction. Sights were slightly low initially as I like a good lollipop hold, especially with .22s, but took care of that in no time.

The field stripping! Oh, INGO, the field stripping. Press a button in the back and pull down on the barrel. The weapon breaks open like a Winchester M37 or AR-15 at about 30 degrees. The bolt pulls out the back. (The "upper" can come off completely by rocking the barrel back and up). Reassemble in reverse order.

Takes 8 seconds to strip, 4 seconds to reassemble and . . . not a single word of profanity. It's like Ruger engineers want gun cleaning to be fun.:D

14444620_10154127582689825_6701553079829670202_o.jpg

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the reply, Kirk.
    Love hearing how reliable and easy to take it down it was.
    Most guns need a break-in period to be 100% failure-free, so this bodes well for this one.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I enjoy cleaning my guns. Actually find it relaxing.
    Never had issues with Mk I or MK II.
    If anything, the quirk of them made them more enjoyable.
    I mastered the knack as a kid.
    No big deal.
    But in that it gives so many fits.............the ease of doing it on the older models, just adds even more satisfaction.

Super easy, and or dumbing things down, must be the new fun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Really, MkI and MK II is not big deal.
    Can see it as an issue for those with dexterity/strength issues.
    Might make it difficult. So for those folks, yeah a Mk IV makes sense.
    But how many with hand problems can shoot a handgun well enough to justify it (the MK series probably target or hunting- not a self defense choice)?
    My guess is those with dexterity/hand issues, who still are steady and can see well, are probably in a pretty small group.
    Oh well, Ruger makes something for them now.

I'm thinking a Fast Fire on a Mk 2...............maybe.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    The disassembly/reassembly process was always the part that kept me from giving it a 100% recommendation for buyers. If they fixed that, then everyone looking for a new .22 should have one.

+1 on the ease of disassembly. Both of mine take a hammer to separate and reassemble.

Hmmm...when/where can I buy one? :yesway:

It's about time they make the darn thing easier to take apart. They should have done it back in 2005 when they introduced the MKIII, but late is better than never.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I enjoy cleaning my guns. Actually find it relaxing.
    Never had issues with Mk I or MK II.
    If anything, the quirk of them made them more enjoyable.
    I mastered the knack as a kid.
    No big deal.
    But in that it gives so many fits.............the ease of doing it on the older models, just adds even more satisfaction.

Super easy, and or dumbing things down, must be the new fun.

What is the biggest complaint of the Mk I, II, and III?

Disassembly. Ruger has finally addressed this. It is the manufacturer responding to a demand. It is exactly what they should be doing.

Rather than being dicks and tell the peasants that they are not plowing their fields correctly, Ruger is using reason and intelligence rather than smug.

I wish more gun makers would get off their high horses (get it, Colt reference), lose the smug, and listen to their customers.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Talk with a dealer and see how many Marks they have sent to Ruger because the owners damaged them hammering them apart or together. My LGS was happy to see the change.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Finally a Ruger Mk for weak old people and nancy boys.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    No doubt the same thing was said about automatic transmissions. :):

My 91-year-old FIL just bought a new car with a manual transmission, and he has never driven a car with any other type of drive train.
    Dunno if there's a connection, but he also doesn't drive like a 91-year-old WWII veteran either, always the speed limit +5, even though he has an unblemished driving record.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My 91-year-old FIL just bought a new car with a manual transmission, and he has never driven a car with any other type of drive train.
    Dunno if there's a connection, but he also doesn't drive like a 91-year-old WWII veteran either, always the speed limit +5, even though he has an unblemished driving record.

Yeah, but how is he with a MkI, II, or III?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    From the video by .22Plinkster above:

-Much easier disassembly/reassembly
    -No loaded chamber indicator
    -Better trigger
    -Drop-free magazines (better for competition)
    -Replaceable grip panels
    -Uses Mk III magazines

Hopper- I'm with you on the 22/45. I really like my Mk III 22/45. I'm betting they will come out with variations over time (longer barrel, lite, 22/45), but they can't fully develop/introduce everything at once. We'll have to wait our turns.

Will it still have the hated magazine disconnect?

And all this after I've finally mastered the takedown and reassembly of my MKIII.

Top Bottom