• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a bunch of customers bring in their Ruger MK's for me to put back together.
    Only ones that gave me fits were the MK3's that had been jammed.
    The other stuff is just flick flip snap and done.
    Really honked off some customers, how fast/easy I did it.

If somebody hammers their gun, so it has to go back to Ruger for fixing...............they shouldn't be messing with guns in the first place.

I do agree, it can/could be trouble for some people for a variety of reasons.........shoot the thing til it gets super dirty, take it to a shop that offers a cleaning service. $20 bucks once or twice a yr. Big deal.

My guess is those that flub the reassembly will be of the type that lose parts, and probably OCD enough to tear the gun down past basic sub assemblies.

I've done way to many "gun in a bag" assembly jobs.

P*sses me off so much, the general stupidity and dishonesty of people, I refuse to help anybody with such endeavors.
    Was at LGS Friday and shop guy asked me to help a customer with an assembly issue. Nope.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Nobody can say Ruger doesn't listen to the market.

The internet has been spreading the myth of difficult MK series take down for so long, they redesigned one of there most successful products just to please snivelers on the Youtube / gun boards!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The disassembly/reassembly process was always the part that kept me from giving it a 100% recommendation for buyers. If they fixed that, then everyone looking for a new .22 should have one.

+1 on the ease of disassembly. Both of mine take a hammer to separate and reassemble.

ive had my mark 1 for 20 years, my mark 3 for a month, and I've finally learned how to take it apart and put it back together(easily)

It's about time they make the darn thing easier to take apart. They should have done it back in 2005 when they introduced the MKIII, but late is better than never.

What is the biggest complaint of the Mk I, II, and III?

Disassembly. Ruger has finally addressed this. It is the manufacturer responding to a demand. It is exactly what they should be doing.

Talk with a dealer and see how many Marks they have sent to Ruger because the owners damaged them hammering them apart or together. My LGS was happy to see the change.

I had a bunch of customers bring in their Ruger MK's for me to put back together.

The internet has been spreading the myth of difficult MK series take down for so long, they redesigned one of there most successful products just to please snivelers on the Youtube / gun boards!

Yup. Total myth.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I played with on in my local shop on Friday. It's pretty cool for sure! Take down is everything you could hope for... I'll take it over my mkIII any day. When I can get a lite version I'll buy I'm sure.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Nobody can say Ruger doesn't listen to the market....

And it only took them about 65 years.:laugh:

For those thinking it is only a matter of technique to disassemble and reassemble the Rugers, that is not the case with all of them. My MK I always took effort to take apart but it could (and still can) be done by hand. My MK III took a punch and hammer to remove the bolt stop pin and heavy hammering to separate the upper receiver and the frame when I got it. After careful removal of metal at the front and rear of the frame where it contacts the receiver, one wack with a light plastic faced hammer will separate and reassemble them. Care must still be taken with the MK III to have the rotational alignment of the receiver and frame 'bolt stop pin' holes correct, just as when it was new. QC ain't what it used to be.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Yes it is that easy!!

[video=youtube;PsBA8jck5vg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsBA8jck5vg[/video]

And if the button does not want to push in it means the safety is off. (Yes it was unloaded at the time).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The MKII is still the sweet spot for me. Pure MK with no lawyer crap in the way.

If you can't follow directions and/or figure out the quirky field strip procedure for classic MK series, Majestic Arms [1] figured out that "problem" for you many years ago.

[1] - Speed Strip Kit
    Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit Ruger Mark I II 22/45
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcwDg2aTs8

Call me crazy, but I think I'd be far happier dealing with "lawyer crap" than having to get a $45 kit just to make it much easier to be able to field strip a gun for cleaning.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Call me crazy, but I think I'd be far happier dealing with "lawyer crap" than having to get a $45 kit just to make it much easier to be able to field strip a gun for cleaning.

They already got rid of the loaded chamber indicator. The remaining "lawyer crap" is the mag release safety. That is only significant if you plan on using your Ruger Mk-X for self defense applications.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    They already got rid of the loaded chamber indicator. The remaining "lawyer crap" is the mag release safety. That is only significant if you plan on using your Ruger Mk-X for self defense applications.

The numbers of those who need to use their Mk-X for self-defense must be in the millions.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    You behave.

What was your favorite German tank from WWII? Was it a . . . Mark IV???

PzIV.Saumur.000a5s6s.jpg

Yup. Great choice. The German's Sherman.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd love to use my 22/45 for self defense if I could get a decent round for it. 12 rounds basically anywhere I want at 10yards. :)

Mighty tough to overcome the inherent qualities of the .22LR cartridge, but probably the best two choices if push came to shove would be either the CCI Velocitor or CCI Stinger.
    There's another issue with the .22LR that many people don't think about, which is the fact that it uses a heel type bullet, which in turn has been known to cause feeding issues in some guns, to the point that the ammo manufacturers long ago actually felt motivated to create the much derided .25 ACP to allow a comparable performance cartridge with centerfire ignition with a conventional bullet to enhance both feeding and ignition reliability.

Top Bottom