Only my police officer friend has the right to take your weapon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you want YOUR FRIEND to take a gun from a LTCH holder for "officer safety?"

• Total voters

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Arizona does not have a 'requirement to inform' during a LEO encounter... unless asked.

Jared Lee Loughner was in a traffic stop the morning of the Tucson shooting. His Glock 19 was in the car, along with the extended magazine/s... he had legally purchased 2 months prior... from a retail gun store, after passing the NCIS background check.

Point being... your not a criminal, until you actually commit a crime.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Arizona does not have a 'requirement to inform' during a LEO encounter... unless asked.

Jared Lee Loughner was in a traffic stop the morning of the Tucson shooting. His Glock 19 was in the car, along with the extended magazine clip/s... he had legally purchased 2 months prior.

Point being... your not a criminal, until you actually commit a crime.
    actually he already was a criminal prior because he was mentaly ill. cant purchase a gun when your a nut

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    IF there is probable cause, and I mean something that is real and not make believe, then yes, disarm. BUT I feel that if there is probable cause the officer should have already called for back up as somebody who needs to be disarmed probably wont hand it over peacefully.

Without probably cause, there is no excuse for disarming a law abiding citizen. Also, speeding or failing to signal is not probable cause, that's just an infraction unless I'm mistaken, but it isn't any reason alone to disarm somebody.

While I don't want anyone to get hurt doing thier job, it IS a known risk of the job. As such, officer safety in this case is akin to a miner demanding that gravity cease while underground. It's not a respectable request.

Also, I bet most officers who habitually violate rights like this lower thier guard after the violation (thier violation that is, not the poor sap they just temporarly robbed). Who's to say they didn't have another gun.Now the officer is worse off then before he disarmed the LTCH holder, assuming the LTCH holder wanted to shoot him. In which case the officer would have probably already been dead. Not pretty, but simple facts. If somebody wants to kill you it isn't that hard.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    "He was stopped by an Arizona Fish and Game Department officer at 7:34 am MST (UTC-7) for running a red light, but once the officer determined there were no outstanding warrants for Loughner, he was allowed to proceed to his destination with a warning to drive carefully."

To my present knowledge, he has not yet received a complete mental evaluation.

Last edited:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    using the logic of this leo everyone with a firearm is dangerous and needs to have thier weapon taken even if temporarily. who gets to dissarm who at the next ingo meet and greet?

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    So, if I understand the scenario, your friend is a rookie with no experience, little to no knowledge of the law, and apparently zero understanding of the constitution, would "feel better" if he violated everyone's 2A rights.

How is that any different from this:
    My sister-in-law hates guns, is afraid of "gun owning wackos", and would "feel better" if all of you would just get over the stupid idea that you have the right or need to own guns. Come on, do the right thing, cut your guns up so my sister-in-law can sleep better at night.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Badge or no, no one has the right, though LEOs do have the power.

I've never seen "officer safety" in the IC or as an exception in the IN Constitution...did I miss something?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So, if I understand the scenario, your friend is a rookie with no experience, little to no knowledge of the law, and apparently zero understanding of the constitution, would "feel better" if he violated everyone's 2A rights.

How is that any different from this:
    My sister-in-law hates guns, is afraid of "gun owning wackos", and would "feel better" if all of you would just get over the stupid idea that you have the right or need to own guns. Come on, do the right thing, cut your guns up so my sister-in-law can sleep better at night.

This makes no sense within the context of the opening discussion. :noway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For all of those who feel the need to go around this mountain again, please go back and read before you honor us with all of your wisdom and knowledge. This thread wasn't about the rookie cop, but me pointing to myself, desiring help to overcome my own uncertainty, brought on by my own emotion rather than the bright red line, which the law provides. Thanks to a few good people on here who saw I was sincerely asking for help, which they provided, I am fine and have an even better understanding of myself.

Now, because we are no longer closing threads, please go ahead and form the conversation to whatever you want, especially those needing to up their post count. :laugh:

Top Bottom