• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Probably, but not well. What is the alcohol content of "moonshine"?

The issue is the water content, and the fact that E85 is still 15% gasoline. Shine with 85% alcohol (170 proof - darn strong stuff) would still be 15% water and no gasoline. Can't imagine it would run well if at all.

If you can get near 100% ethanol, then you should be able to re-program the car's computer to handle it.

There are water seperator filters that will get rid of the water in the moonshine. I have been researching this for my 88 Ranger V8 build in which I plan to either run strictly alcohol or strictly propane for fuel. The downside is alcohols bad habit of attracting water once it passes the filter and the motor is not running. I am not going with fuel injection, but in my 2006 F150 Flex Fuel I had found out that the computer had the capability to discern the exact composition of fuel and make adjustments to the fuel delivery to compensate for those times when you have a mixture of E85 and regular gasoline. I do not know if it would compensate for percentages higher than 85% but I would think it would probably get close. I think there is a law about having to denature the alcohol by adding gasoline before using as fuel but that may be an old requirement.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Unless you live in a very rural area, in which case you are probably NOT bugging out in a vehicle, I think a fuel-efficient vehicle or non-threatening minivan is a better way to go than some quasi-militarized vehicle.

See above pictures of gas lines. AND, Johnny Law may think you're some sort of whacko or up to shenanigans if you're running around in a camouflaged hum-vee with gas cans strapped to the top while wearing your tactical vest.

In the modern day and age you don't need to be able to drive much offroad. A little, sure.

:twocents:

That's true enough. My diesel does get around 22 mpg and has a large fuel tank, add the optional diesel tank in the bed and I could get a long ways! I also think the humvee would get you stopped, if there's anybody left to stop you. :dunno:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm thinking about picking up a sweet moped or scooter. It'll come in handy if the S doesn't HTF and I get a dui. Got to think about multiple uses, people.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    You can cook the alcohol down to 5% water, and add gas if you have it...I'm not talking daily driving . I just think it'd be easier to come up with alcohol than bio-diesel .
    If the SHTF I don't plan on traveling except to gather the loved ones. Only way I'm
    hitting the road is by no other choice!!!

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    My 1954 M37 Dodge Powerwagon. :patriot:
    4.jpg

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    230913_10150177029506601_581381600_7083671_7554950_n.jpg

55MPG and capability to go where no 4 wheel vehicle can go! You can even buy the Diesel version that gets around 110MPG (you just have to wait for years and years while your looking for one to come for sale, then shell out $13-15k within 10 minutes before someone else buys it). :)

But it is fun as crap!

225801_10150177029301601_581381600_7083667_6844903_n.jpg

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Makes you wonder why they don't make 100% electric vans etc.. with solar panels on the roof and a built in gas motor for backup like the volt. Answer: oil companies would lose money

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    This is mine...

1989 Jeep commanche.
    4.0L 5 speed 4x4
    4.5" Lift 32" Tires
    Cb Radio, GPS, Onboard air compressor. Onboard welder to come in the future.
    Not EMP Proof but shares many common Jeep parts ( Good for scavaging )

1003091124b.jpg

INGO002.jpg

-Gary

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    What does everybody have for shtf vehicle? I've got a Polaris ranger to take off to the woods and my diesel pickups but was just curious as to what everybody else is gonna use. I'm thinking if getting an old military blazer or pickup.

Where can I buy this SHTF vehicle:dunno: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nug5FZgxuk[/ame]

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would submit that a 120mm gun surrounded by a shell of depleted uranium is never worthless. :rockwoot:

It would be good as a defensive, stationary gun only, as long as you can get the turret to rotate without powering up the whole tank. Other than that, it would only be good guarding the entrance of a walled bunker. Again, only if it fires without powering up the whole tank, which I doubt in both cases.

Top Bottom