• ...and so much more!
  • Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Stone VS Upland !!!

VERSES!

In this corner... weighing in at 5.4%, the Bastard of Beer, see review #390, Stone Pale Ale
    and the challenger... weighing in at 5.0%, homegrown favorite from Bloom-town Indiana, Upland Helios Pale Ale!

Stone has deeper red coloring to it while Upland is a more deep amber. Both are clear. Upland has a tendency toward a bit more head if you let it. The Stone has more hop nose initially out of the bottle... and malt, while the upland is less aromatic straight out the bottle but then after a bit, the Stone mellows its hop aroma for more malt, and the Upland becomes more hop centric and floral. On the palate... the Upland leans toward more carbonation than the Stone but just slightly. The Stone has more density, more body while the Upland feels lighter on the palate, almost more airy. The Stone is so smooth and feels good going down the gullet. Tangible, corporeal, Satisfying. The Upland is more expansive and transparent, tantalizing but finishes almost invisible, empty. You can call it finishing clean if you like. If you do like light, then the Helios is your pick, but if I want light I could do a lager or a white, or a wheat ale; although the Helios has more citrus tang to it. Appropriate for the summer win. My better half prefers this. Tasty. But I on the other hand want an ale to be fulfilling. Savory. I pick Stone for the win.
    :twocents:

P.S. Heresy round! (Last few sips are a equal mix of the two) The dynamic expansiveness of the Helios followed by the hefty savoriness of the Stone. Haha, pretty damn good!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I just bottled a batch of, wait for it.......Mr. beer! I have all the equipment, and brew several batches per year of beer from extract kits, but my MIL gave me a Mr. beer kit for Christmas, and I figured I'd give it a shot. For the money, and for folks wanting to see if brewing might interest them, I highly recommend they get a Mr. Beer. I let my beer ferment a week longer than the 1 week Mr. Beer advises, and it tasted surprisingly good when I bottled it yesterday.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I just transfered my beer to secondary a few days ago. I brewed a Zombie Dust clone. Excited to see how it turned out.

Bottled this brew on Wednesday the 18th. Going to test carbonation this Wednesday.

Last edited:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield

one word: WOW
    The label says it all, extra hoppy. So much flavor it is almost over whelming. ALMOST. IMO stone is the top brewer out there and even they have outdone theirselves with this one.

Ii will buy all I can find and store it in the celer just in case they don't do it again. It washed down a 16 oz. ribeye, baked potato, and salad extremely well. :)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

one word: WOW
    The label says it all, extra hoppy. So much flavor it is almost over whelming. ALMOST. IMO stone is the top brewer out there and even they have outdone theirselves with this one.

Ii will buy all I can find and store it in the celer just in case they don't do it again. It washed down a 16 oz. ribeye, baked potato, and salad extremely well. :)

Must try! I haven't seen this version of Stone. I do love some Arrogant Bastard and Imperial Russian Stout though. This should be interesting. Thanks for the inspiration. The range then the beer store.......(After dropping the guns off at home. PRM and alll)

jbmayes2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Vincennes
    I live in the south western portion of Indiana and I'm curious what recommendations you all might have that would be available in my neck of the woods? I've had a couple of Upland and Big Woods beers but honestly it's been a couple of years. I'm honestly down for all types of beer but my preference is lighter.

I used to have a connection in Indy that did weekly work in Ohio and would bring me back some Yuengling but that no longer exists. Does anyone have any connections for Yuengling?

whitind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    my vote would be for three floyds zombie dust, if you are able to find it. the stores sell out quick.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    After the gun show on Sunday, I stopped at Twenty Tap in Broad Ripple and had a "Bend the Knee" by Three Floyds.

Loved the aftertaste, grapefruitish. Another touchdown by Three Floyds.

Top Bottom