• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've been thinking of getting one just to see what all the dislike is about. As a believer in the free market I have difficultly believing they're as bad as people say; after all, Hi Point is still in business.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Ive had a .45 and 9mm models over the years and never had a jam ever. They are big and clunky but Id say they are great for the money. At one time I fell on some hard times and a c9 was my carry gun, it fired 100 rounds of Hornday custom without a hitch and 200 rounds of different brands of FMJ and antil I got a better gun it did its job. The ramp on new hi points comes new with some kind of a thick paint but it wears away after some shooting and the mags aren't very good and need a bit of a tweak but they are a great value overall.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've toyed with buying one from time to time simply because it costs less than I've spent on a good bottle of scotch. But, in the end I always pass since a person can only handle just so much ugly.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My son bought his wife one in 9mm. It does not run a mag with out at least 2 farts and a burp. It is in the mail back to the factory.

Ah yes, the classic Kel-Tec/Taurus/Hi-Point armor's tool:

supplies_content_05.jpg

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I picked up a c9 used. It functioned flawlessly. Even with reloads. I felt fine letting the younger Rockets fire it. And if they were to ever drop it, which they didn't, who cares. Only reason I do not still have it is someone wanted it worse than me.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Come on man...Taurus ain't all that bad. I have several of their handguns, never had a problem with any of them...

Their revolvers are useable. Pistols, stay far away. I've personally never gotten through a mag in one without a malfunction.

I'd take a hi-point over a Taurus pistol every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    i here a lot of good and bad about the hi point and yes ther bag but i dont see how ther so bad ya thay had a bad jaming probolem but now ther ok ,i would like to heir what you have to say

thanks.....
    go for a Browning HI power instead. thank me later

Last edited:

dboogie2288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Noblesville
    I own a hi point c9. It is more reliable than the Ruger LC380 I have. I own multiple guns, various price ranges and manufacturers. The hi point for the price is a great gun. It needs a little breaking in and tweaking, but if it is all you can afford, it is better than calling 911 and hiding in the closet and hoping the police show up before you are killed by an intruder. Most people that bash hi points have never ever shot one. The just regurgitate what they here at Gander Mountain. It's not an ideal carry gun, but it is better than walking around with nothing. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this.

However...I mean, in retrospect, unless you HAVE to have one, or are in imminent danger from a stalker or whatever - save up some cash from your next paycheck and get a shield, or a used glock. I mean, I understand being short. I used to work full time in security and people would brag about their hi points. I would bust their balls a bit because you get what you pay for. And if your life is only worth $199 for a hipoint, then so be it I guess....

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    View attachment 38130 View attachment 38131

A couple pics of my Taurus PT 917 C. I have ran a mountain of 9 thru this one and have never had a hiccup. I am not wanting to argue, just my opinion. I have a couple Taurus revolvers, great guns. I figure some of their low end pistols ain't worth spit, but this is one that never failed... My next is a Taurus 1911.

Their revolvers are useable. Pistols, stay far away. I've personally never gotten through a mag in one without a malfunction.

I'd take a hi-point over a Taurus pistol every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 38130 View attachment 38131

A couple pics of my Taurus PT 917 C. I have ran a mountain of 9 thru this one and have never had a hiccup. I am not wanting to argue, just my opinion. I have a couple Taurus revolvers, great guns. I figure some of their low end pistols ain't worth spit, but this is one that never failed... My next is a Taurus 1911.

Just responding to your post. I have been inside so many different guns and like Drail said up thread.....ask a gunsmith.
    I have had many Taurus revolvers and a few semi's. All but 1 revolver were decent enough. All but 1 semi the same deal. The semi was a 1911 (ish) and it sucked. Period. It was so far out of spec there was no fixing it. I have had a few island guns like this as well.
    You will get more good than bad with a Taurus. I would stay away from their 1911's and that is just my humble opinion.

Hi-points are disposable pieces.
    The one the son sent back is being replaced in total.

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have the CF380 and C9 and love them both. Yes they may require a little tweaking and run best with good ammo. The comment about slick grips is correct. However, they now sell replacement grips on their website with a light sandpaper texture that are awesome for $17 delivered. The lifetime warranty can't be beat. My C9 had the older type firing pin, so I called and they sent me the springs, new firing pin, and recoil spring free of charge. If you ever have any issues, just send it in and they will fix it at no charge; all you pay is shipping to their facility in Ohio. The Forum is also very helpful; spend some time there and you'll see they are very honest about the pro's and con's and very helpful.

The only thing I would caution anyone thinking of buying one is expect somewhat of a project during the break-in period. If you're expecting a flawless gun out of the box, you're probably best getting something different. I kind of enjoyed tweaking both of mine and they both function flawlessly now. If you don't mind a little project, I don't see how you could go wrong paying $140 for a C9.

Top Bottom