• Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Tell me about it...
    ill tell ya about it.

this is an extra grand that i dont have in order to move out of mommies house. now i have to conjure up a viable reason as to why i still live at home. right now im thinking its going to be along the lines of (shes too protective to let me leave so soon.) :rolleyes:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Thanks a lot you bunch of peer pressure jerks. I pre-ordered mine tonight. Order #990. Feel like I jumped in just before the lock...:spend:

I do appreciate all of the insight and information (and peer pressure) provided by vitamink. I am still a bit worreid about getting mags for it and wanting to change out the stock to a folding one as I'm not that good of an AK-smith. But right now basking in the awesomeness of the pre-order and will worry about those things again later...:nailbite:

High five shoots4fun. We will go shoot our Veprs while the rest of INGO cries in the corner.

YOU PEOPLE!! made me do this..

High five Tydeeh! I'm confident that FV will have an amazing anus.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    saiga 030 magwell mags will work, not rock-n-locks.

Edit:

Rock n locks will work but you have to shave off the front and rear lip and add a lock point. You also have to sand down the rear on an AGP to make it work. It won't actuate the LRBHO unless you add a raised section to the follower. SGM is in the process of making magwell mags for it.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Vepr12 Mags
    scaled.php

Saiga 030 mag
    2012-08-24_20-00-30_236.294x293.jpg

Regular S12 mag
    sgmt%2012%20mag.jpg

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I dreamed of a Peach State converted saiga for $900 dollars for years, but put it off until it was too late.

I told myself I was over the AK shotgun platform when that ship sailed, but here's my chance at redemption....aaaahhhh, vitamink, stop being so convincing!

I'm already counting how close I'll be if I sell my Mossy, my Winny, and all my accessories. :(

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    ...If I buy one, can I attend the INGO VEPR 12 shoot?

I have a heavy duty wood cable spool we can take down with a prohibition-era gangland execution style firing line....
    :ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Sounds awesome. I would hurry though. With 1000 imported and someone reported yesterday they were number 990... I'd hurry and put down $300 on one.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    My problem with the vepr is that for the money I can mod a S-12 the way I want it. With the vepr you get it there way at a higher price and then have to pay even more to get it your way. I understand the differences, but the only one that really impresses me is the fact it has last round bolt hold open....

Sounds awesome. I would hurry though. With 1000 imported and someone reported yesterday they were number 990... I'd hurry and put down $300 on one.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    My problem with the vepr is that for the money I can mod a S-12 the way I want it. With the vepr you get it there way at a higher price and then have to pay even more to get it your way. I understand the differences, but the only one that really impresses me is the fact it has last round bolt hold open....

Lets do a cost/benefit analysis then.

saiga 12 $600 unconverted.

Conversion kit with boring tapco stock and tapco saw grip $140

Duracoat the thing from where you drilled out the rivits to move the trigger and removed the old guard $150.

Now you have $100 left over(though i didn't include shipping on anything) to spend to make your saiga 12 "the way you want it" What do you spend it on?

Now keep in mind at this $100.00 difference you have to manually adjust the gas setting. You don't have a hinged top cover with a rail to mount optics. You have no rail at all. You don't have a LRBHO. You've got 4 extra holes in the side of your gun from where the trigger was originally. Your sights are a bead and a notch where the Vepr sights are adjustable AK sights. Your saftey is standard and not set up for easy 1 finger manipulation. Your parts are cast not milled.

Now if you want any of that on your saiga 12, that $100 will disappear quick. Hell just replacing the saftey with a Krebs is 60.00. You could buy an Autoplug from Tac47 for $50.00. You can get your holes welded up for $100.00.

The end result is no where near as good as a Vepr 12 so don't kid yourself. I've owned 5 saiga 12's and they're great guns. They are in no way as good as a Vepr. If the price of the Vepr was $2500 (as it should be) i could see where your argument would hold water. If You're paying the same money for a Vepr as you would for a Saiga i can't fathom why anyone would want a lesser gun. If you could buy a bushmaster Ar with standard furniture for 700 and a Noveske with troy sights, vltor monolithic rail, bcm charging handle, magpul grip and geissle trigger for 800.00, then why buy the bushmaster? By the way you can't buy a noveske for 800...but you can buy a Vepr for a lot less than you should.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

Having three saiga 12 conversions under my belt, I see no way to get a similarly outfitted saiga 12 at that cost - let alone a similar quality.
    YOU PEOPLE!! made me do this..

What+do+You+mean+quot+you+people+quot+_5dd9e2edb63e2ddf259a380c7f5d8929.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hH19DGfZw4[/ame]

I cannot seem to find all that much about the work involved in SBR'ing a VEPR 12.... Yah, already thinking about it....

I am wondering if the self regulating gas system is going to make SBR'ing this bad boy complicated...

Anyone have the goods?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Well, you'd actually be SBS-ing it, which is a no-go in Indiana, unless you're a Class III dealer.

Ahh, right SBS not SBR - but that cannot be done by an individual after obtaining a tax stamp?

More importantly - physically, how complex would this be? I know that I would be paying someone to do it anyway, so - the more complex, the more I end up forking out. A tax stamp and having the barrel cut would not be too expensive - but I have the feeling the self regulating gas system is going to have to be moved or modified....

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Nope. Totally illegal if you aren't an FFL.

As far as the process, I'm not sure. I'm sure the gas system should be modified.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hmm. That is an interesting question. Could an FFL with class 3 have a SBS?

Either way, I can't get my hands on one since they are illegal in Indiana.

Top Bottom