• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Will you please post that rule , law. ive never seen that on any ada paperwork.

Federal Law Prohibits Discrimination Of Breed,Size,Training Level Or Age Of Any Emotional Support Or Service Dog, Emotional support dogs do not have to be trained to perform any specific task. Service dogs can be trained by their owners or in any other manner the owner desires to assist them with their disability.

People With Service Animals Must Be Allowed Access To All Public Accommodations. This right takes precedence over all state and local laws which might otherwise prohibit animals in those places such as Stores, Malls, Restaurants, Hotels/Resorts, Airlines,Cruises, Taxi cabs, Buses just to name a few.

https://www.officialservicedogregistry.com/register-your-dog/?gclid=CMuBhYPM-9ECFQaewAodwTgLyg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    What is the difference between a dog and a miniature horse for this purpose?

Put a miniature horse in a fine dining restaurant, or a greasy tiled floor in a fast food restaurant.
    I'd just like to see a housebroken miniature horse.
    Some of this is just out of control.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    For the record: Nothing in this story or thread really matters much to ME.

But has it been established that the canine is indeed a bonafide service animal? (as opposed to a therapy animal?)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Put a miniature horse in a fine dining restaurant, or a greasy tiled floor in a fast food restaurant.
    I'd just like to see a housebroken miniature horse.
    Some of this is just out of control.
    Here is a guide for you.
    And here is one for you to see.
    [video=youtube;Mthzh9udKxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mthzh9udKxM[/video]

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of this goes under "just because you can does not mean you should". Like, and people in life are pretty interesting, mattering not if we agree on individual points.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Big words. I can't say anymore.
    ill just say I hope you never go through the same hell some grown men have had to and actualy need those animals. I also hope one day you walk into an American Legion and say what hku just said.
    Yeah, I think you misunderstood me. Good lord the internet is sensitive.

My point was was that it would be physically harder on a dog for a grown man to use it as crutch/cane than for my sister. I have no doubt of the need on the veteran's end, but I think there might be better options than a dog from a purely physical/practical standpoint. I've been around wheelchairs, walkers and service dogs all my life. I know what I'm talking about.

Edit: if you go back and read my post you'll find 2 things. I said it WAS a legitimate use for a service dog. And I said I wasn't sure why a full grown man would use one for THAT purpose. I never said a full grown man wouldn't need it for that purpose.

Last edited:

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I did a little, and I mean a little, searching and came up with this Wikipedia entry regarding mobility assistance dogs. "These dogs usually wear a certain kind of vest so that you can attach a cane like handle. This makes it so that when the dog walks and you hold the handle, the dog will guide you and assist with balance." This article on the VA web site makes a brief mention of about mobility dogs being used by vets to assist with balance and counterbalance.

According to the news story, the vet has joint problems and the vet "pushes off the dog". Speaking as someone with knee problems, I don't sit down anywhere without looking for something to push off of so I can stand back up. Sounds like the vet is using the dog for this purpose. Given my weight compared to the weight of a typical German shepherd-size dog, I'm not sure I'd ask the dog to help me stand up by letting my push off the dog. But, that's just me.

I'm not going to make any judgments as to whether or not this use of a service or assistance dog meets ADA guidelines.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah, I think you misunderstood me. Good lord the internet is sensitive.

My point was was that it would be physically harder on a dog for a grown man to use it as crutch/cane than for my sister. I have no doubt of the need on the veteran's end, but I think there might be better options than a dog from a purely physical/practical standpoint. I've been around wheelchairs, walkers and service dogs all my life. I know what I'm talking about.

Edit: if you go back and read my post you'll find 2 things. I said it WAS a legitimate use for a service dog. And I said I wasn't sure why a full grown man would use one for THAT purpose. I never said a full grown man wouldn't need it for that purpose.
    ok very sorry I misunderstood what you meant. But yes this is a very sensitive issue for me and I imagine for you too if someone questioned your sisters need for her animal. I misread your posts. I won't edit my posts since it's already been quoted and since I made the mistake and now appologized. Next time I'll read more carefully before jumping to a conclusion

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I did a little, and I mean a little, searching and came up with this Wikipedia entry regarding mobility assistance dogs. "These dogs usually wear a certain kind of vest so that you can attach a cane like handle. This makes it so that when the dog walks and you hold the handle, the dog will guide you and assist with balance." This article on the VA web site makes a brief mention of about mobility dogs being used by vets to assist with balance and counterbalance.

According to the news story, the vet has joint problems and the vet "pushes off the dog". Speaking as someone with knee problems, I don't sit down anywhere without looking for something to push off of so I can stand back up. Sounds like the vet is using the dog for this purpose. Given my weight compared to the weight of a typical German shepherd-size dog, I'm not sure I'd ask the dog to help me stand up by letting my push off the dog. But, that's just me.

I'm not going to make any judgments as to whether or not this use of a service or assistance dog meets ADA guidelines.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I've seen the physical toll it can take on a dog when my under 100 pound sister pushes off or leans on them. I personally wouldn't use a dog for that task. I don't think it's fair to the animal as it isn't built to handle that.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Here is a guide for you.
    And here is one for you to see.
    [video=youtube;Mthzh9udKxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mthzh9udKxM[/video]

Thanks, but I find it hallarious to how sensitive and silly we Americans can really be. And what some people will do to keep their pets with them at all times.
    A true service dog is a great thing, but sitting on a airplane next to a Wackadoody lady that talks and kisses her dog that is held in a infant sling is annoying and unnecessary. It needs to be in the cargo hold where animals used to ride.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thanks, but I find it hallarious to how sensitive and silly we Americans can really be. And what some people will do to keep their pets with them at all times.
    A true service dog is a great thing, but sitting on a airplane next to a Wackadoody lady that talks and kisses her dog that is held in a infant sling is annoying and unnecessary. It needs to be in the cargo hold where animals used to ride.
    i know people in the transportation industry that see people abuse the service animal thing all the time but legally they are very limited on what questions or info they can get to make a decision. Like all other things, stupid people not worthy of breathing our oxygen ruin it or make it more difficult for the people who need it

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ada also says allergies and fear of dogs are not valid excuses for excluding service dogs. I guess I won't be going to tri state shows anymore and I hope Stout Field and other armories no longer allows them use their facilities.

Does it say that using a dog to "push off of" is a valid service animal?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Are we giving a pass on the whole "walked in on the second day of a sold out show and demanded a table because I'm a veteran" thing?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Are we giving a pass on the whole "walked in on the second day of a sold out show and demanded a table because I'm a veteran" thing?

I'm not. However, the guy in charge could have stuck to his guns, and he would have been in the right. Since he chose to cave (for whatever reason) it's all on him.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    At the last Stout Field show, this same promoter told a dealer of REAL US military surplus -holsters, ammo pouches, uniforms, etc (not cheap chinese knock offs) that he would not be allowed to come back to ANY of his shows, because "military surplus does not belong in gun shows, and ruins them". The surplus is ONE of the reasons many people go to shows. I DON'T go to find t-shirts, jewelry, flea market items, and chinese toys. If I want any of THOSE items, I will go to a flea market.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

For full disclosure, I'm a combat veteran and I believe if you were damaged in any way while you served you fully deserve what the government owes you.
    I don't believe you should be able to go to the VA twenty years after you served and get a brown card because your knees are blown out from martial arts and weekend MMA fighting.
    Not with me, Personally I tend to hate the " Veteran Card " I don't want a free stack of pancakes or a box to check so I move to the front of the line when applying for a job.
    I grow weary almost everytime I go to the VFW, ELKs, Eagles or a poker run.
    I get so tired of, if you go to VA you can get a check for $ #&@%*% every month for this %of hearing loss. And then you get lessons on how to beat the hearing test.
    I never once heard the elders that served in my family looking for a free bump anywhere because they served.
    Rant out.

Top Bottom