• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    If my allergies to dogs were bad enough to keep them out of my shows then I most certainly would not set up at other promoter shows and expose myself to dogs that are there with other vendors and with customers. If you are severely allergic to dogs then wouldn't your health come first at ALL shows instead of picking and choosing and especially kicking one out of your own show and using your allergies as the reasoning?

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    When I showed up at this gun show on Saturday morning there was 6 cop cars parked outside and a couple of others parked down the street, plus 6 cops inside the Armory and two officer chompys with them. Is this why they were all there? I didn't pay any attention to them but I got a mean awkward look from them.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    When I showed up at this gun show on Saturday morning there was 6 cop cars parked outside and a couple of others parked down the street, plus 6 cops inside the Armory and two officer chompys with them. Is this why they were all there? I didn't pay any attention to them but I got a mean awkward look from them.

yes that's why all the popo were at the armory

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Watched the news story. The dumb ass promoter shouldn't have talked to the press, now anjury has his video testimony as evidence that he did in fact refuse entry to a disabled person. The dog is a tool not a animal in the laws eyes. This promoter is seriously ****ed. He violated federal law and I hope for his sake he has good insurance. I hate that it happened at a gun show because I'd rather see some liberal business go down for this but it is what it is.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Looks to me like a cane would serve the same purpose and be much more cost effective....and yes, i've had my knees (and the rest of me) so busted up that I could barely get up from a chair and a hiking pole set at about 20" long got me through it. From the video, it looks like this guy could just as easily push off the chair. Add all the "No Animals" signs and the guy should have discussed this with the promoter prior to his third trip in.

While I have great respect and admiration for our vets, this one seems to be pushing it a bit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Looks to me like a cane would serve the same purpose and be much more cost effective....and yes, i've had my knees (and the rest of me) so busted up that I could barely get up from a chair and a hiking pole set at about 20" long got me through it. From the video, it looks like this guy could just as easily push off the chair...

Which raises the question as to whether this is a valid service dog from a legal perspective.

...in any event, I do love the "veteran" angle being injected when it is legally insignificant.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What is?
    In truth the standard is whichever lawyer has the best spin on it.

No. There is a regulation on this. This case may qualify, but it's not clear cut.

Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual's disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal's presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.

28 C.F.R. § 35.104

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    My neighbor partakes in a 30 pack of beer a day and by lunchtime he tends to have mobility issues and occasionally takes a tumble.
    With what I have learned here I'll suggest that he get his doctor to give him a prescription for a service dog that can retrieve and open aluminum cans from the fridge.

Can they be taught to mow the lawn?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    There is nothing requiring a service animal to be "prescribed" just as there is no requirement to for that dog to be "certified". If the service animal meets the above posted requirements then it is a service animal in the eyes of the law. Could he use a cane? maybe, but shouldn't his own confidential medical records and subsequent treatment plan be his choice and not ours? Since when does anyone else have the right to choose the treatment plan for someone else? This guy has a service animal that appears to be as legitimate as anything, has given up his right to privacy and shared far more information that he was legally required to, and I personally hope this promoter gets sued into the ground. There are lots of laws I don't like, but Im still required to follow them or pay the consequences. Also baffled how many people are so supportive of the persecution of a disabled veteran, as well as everyones comical approach to a very serious issue. Service animals save lives everyday, and allow disabled Americans to continue living something resembling a full and complete life, so anyone who can't bother to be inconvenienced by an animals presence, or who wants to pry into the private and confidential medical history of another person, can go pound sand as far as I care. Walk a mile in those shoes, or prosthetics, live with those nightmares, seizures and diabetic comas, or be in need of the services these animals provide, and lets see how many come back still complaining about the presence of an animal that totally ignores everyone else anyways.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And to clarify, I haven't rendered an opinion one way or another.
    I wasn't there.

But, because of the abuse of the system, people will question.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My neighbor partakes in a 30 pack of beer a day and by lunchtime he tends to have mobility issues and occasionally takes a tumble.
    With what I have learned here I'll suggest that he get his doctor to give him a prescription for a service dog that can retrieve and open aluminum cans from the fridge.

Can they be taught to mow the lawn?
    I trained my border collie to open the fridge and get me a beer (tied a short piece of rope to the handle) but my wife said she didn't want the dog to be able to get in the fridge anytime she wanted! I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to get married.....

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    ohh i didnt mean to insinuate that all veterans are a paragon of virtue, but there seems to be no evidence that this case isn't totally legit. I'm also still confused by who is hurt by the "abuse of this system".

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    What is?
    In truth the standard is whichever lawyer has the best spin on it.
    Unfortunately there isn't much of a legal standard out there. However there are several reputable services that place properly trained dogs. Canine Companions for Independence is a national organization that does such a thing. If you've spent time around real service dogs it is quite easy to tell if a dog is legit. Using a dog to push off of, stabilize or lean on is a legitimate use, but I can't see how that is useful for an large adult male.

I work in retail and have asked customers to leave with their "service dogs" before. It's easy to tell.

Top Bottom