• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thanks, but I find it hallarious to how sensitive and silly we Americans can really be. And what some people will do to keep their pets with them at all times.
    A true service dog is a great thing, but sitting on a airplane next to a Wackadoody lady that talks and kisses her dog that is held in a infant sling is annoying and unnecessary. It needs to be in the cargo hold where animals used to ride.
    :yesway:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For full disclosure, I'm a combat veteran and I believe if you were damaged in any way while you served you fully deserve what the government owes you.
    I don't believe you should be able to go to the VA twenty years after you served and get a brown card because your knees are blown out from martial arts and weekend MMA fighting.
    Not with me, Personally I tend to hate the " Veteran Card " I don't want a free stack of pancakes or a box to check so I move to the front of the line when applying for a job.
    I grow weary almost everytime I go to the VFW, ELKs, Eagles or a poker run.
    I get so tired of, if you go to VA you can get a check for $ #&@%*% every month for this %of hearing loss. And then you get lessons on how to beat the hearing test.
    I never once heard the elders that served in my family looking for a free bump anywhere because they served.
    Rant out.

Repped

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Are we giving a pass on the whole "walked in on the second day of a sold out show and demanded a table because I'm a veteran" thing?
    '
    Is this a 3 day show or just Sat and Sun? When you say "walked in on the second day" I thought this was only a 2 day Sat and Sun show. Friday on shows that are not 3 days are only for vendor set up not open to customers. Just asking to clarify.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For the record: Nothing in this story or thread really matters much to ME.

But has it been established that the canine is indeed a bonafide service animal? (as opposed to a therapy animal?)

Well, he described was using it like the arm of a chai, or a caner- to push up from a sitting to a standing position....which is a new one on me in the service animal department.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    '
    Is this a 3 day show or just Sat and Sun? When you say "walked in on the second day" I thought this was only a 2 day Sat and Sun show. Friday on shows that are not 3 days are only for vendor set up not open to customers. Just asking to clarify.

The sign shown in the TV piece said "Fri., Sat., Sun."

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't see why not. It's stupid and douchey. But, ideally that would be his right. I don't like telling people what to do on their own property. Of course, don't expect me to darken his door.

Since this wasn't his property, I don't think he has too much standing.

He leases the area for the time, so he dictates what can take place. Like you, I would probably not attend his shows, but I've read too many posts where the majority of those providing input suggested that people shouldn't be made to serve others. In this case, the promoter shouldn't be made to serve the vendor, especially if he states a health concern. We know how people can make up bogus excuses to get out of doing the right thing.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    '

the eville armory show is 3 days, friday-sunday, they started doing that a couple of years ago, the person walked in on Saturday morning and asked for a table, the promoter told him the show was sold out, and that their was no more tables, the person begged for the table, so the promoter set up a table, collected his money, and the person brought in a box and unloaded the box, went back to his car, and brought in another box and the dog, at that point the promoter told him that no dogs are allowed, due to his allergy's, and offered to return his money, and then the person went off, (I know a few details about this, due to a friend who was there)

now he might be welcome at the eville 4h show, most times I walk in, the promoters have a dog by the font door, on his/her lap

I can honestly say I'm torn on this issue, I see both sides!

oh and fyi, the "no pets allowed" sign is on the table right outside the door to get into the show, where you pay your entry fee and has been for years!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is a scam going on around college campuses these days. This guy goes around and recruits college kids to temporarily adopt puppies and keep them for a year to allow them to become acclimated to being around a lot of people. The students then brought the puppies to campus and tried to label them as service dogs, but it didn't work here. I still see them around campus, but they are no longer taking them to classes. After a year, the guy retrieves the dogs and sells them for $10,000! The students get nothing for doing this, because they are told the dogs are going to veterans. They are responsible for food and health care for the entire time the dog is with them. Some veterans who are in desperate need of a service animal have footed the bill instead of waiting on VA, but of course the dogs are not properly trained.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a scam going on around college campuses these days. This guy goes around and recruits college kids to temporarily adopt puppies and keep them for a year to allow them to become acclimated to being around a lot of people. The students then brought the puppies to campus and tried to label them as service dogs, but it didn't work here. I still see them around campus, but they are no longer taking them to classes. After a year, the guy retrieves the dogs and sells them for $10,000! The students get nothing for doing this, because they are told the dogs are going to veterans. They are responsible for food and health care for the entire time the dog is with them. Some veterans who are in desperate need of a service animal have footed the bill instead of waiting on VA, but of course the dogs are not properly trained.

This is just sad Oue.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Someone needs to throw that guy a sock party.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    He leases the area for the time, so he dictates what can take place. Like you, I would probably not attend his shows, but I've read too many posts where the majority of those providing input suggested that people shouldn't be made to serve others. In this case, the promoter shouldn't be made to serve the vendor, especially if he states a health concern. We know how people can make up bogus excuses to get out of doing the right thing.

Not entirely true. Venues have rules, and whoever rents/leases the venue, the rules have to be followed. Example: Central Indiana Gun show's Kokomo show does not allow dogs because the owner of the building doesn't allow dogs in the building. Note: Central Indiana Gun shows are very dog friendly, and at most of their shows you will see dogs at their show.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    At the last Stout Field show, this same promoter told a dealer of REAL US military surplus -holsters, ammo pouches, uniforms, etc (not cheap chinese knock offs) that he would not be allowed to come back to ANY of his shows, because "military surplus does not belong in gun shows, and ruins them". The surplus is ONE of the reasons many people go to shows. I DON'T go to find t-shirts, jewelry, flea market items, and chinese toys. If I want any of THOSE items, I will go to a flea market.
    He sure doesn't seem to have a problem with people selling real U.S. milsurp guns. Dang. I always liked the Stout Field show, but all this stuff is giving me pause.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

:xmad:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I didnt read through the whole thread, but a lot of things brought up here are the very reason why the ADA guidelines are so generous in the instances of service animals. A persons medical history is confidential for a reason, and thats why a personal is not required to divulge the condition that nessecitates a service dog. There is a wide gap between a service animal and a therapy animal, though that difference is up to the handlers level of honesty. There has been huge, wide and sweeping proof of the value of all types of service animals in the last few years, particularly to veterans and the varies mental health issues they can face. The promoter can ban, ask to leave or persecute however he wishes, but he is also open to losing a massive lawsuit should someone wish to pursue it far enough. There are a variety of well written and simple pamphlets available online that list the common issues associated and I strongly encourage anyone with a service dog to print them out (most are formatted to fit a single page) and carry with them to pass out to anyone who wishes to refuse service to them on that premise alone.

Vendor, owner, rented space or whatever doesn't really matter, you still have to abide by federal law.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom