• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I was going to as if your brother had been dropped on his head as a child, and saw that cm beat me to it. :wow: I understand the gift part of it, but when you say as a condition of it, "I want the right of first refusal", etc, etc, etc. That should be honored. Oh well, live and learn. :wallbash:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    SD45 - As your newly adopted younger sister (maybe even long lost biological sister...it could be true I think maybe), I promise that if you were to ever feel the need to gift me with a nice Colt .45, I would not sell it or trade it. I have plenty of ammo that would work in that particular gun as well...just saying....I like Springfields too. :draw:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I quit gun trading a few years ago. It is stupid to buy something, then just trade it off...I know, I did that too much in the past, and usually ended up wanting the one I traded back. Now, if I buy, I keep till hell freezes over.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Back in the late 70's, I traded a Sound Design turntable for a Ruger mark 1 to a guy who was like a brother to me. Needless to say, he soon realized his mistake and never did forgive me for that trade. Just goes to show, I know the value of a good trade and am available to be your favorite, sensible brother. (I don't even hafta be your favorite)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, I had to calm my *** down I bit before starting this thread. Long story short, I gave both my brothers a Combat Elite 1911. I told then both, if you ever want or need to sell these guns, let me have first shot at it. This morning I find out my youngest brother, traded the near new, beautiful Colt that I paid $1100 for on a used Taurus Judge!!! Even up!!! WTF! So I was wondering. What's the craziest trade you have ever either been a part of or heard of? Now excuse me while I open this family size can of Wup ***!!:bash:

I understand what your saying, but both my brothers know how I feel about my guns. I gifted these guns to them because I wanted them to have something other then the crappy guns they had. We talked about how it would be nice for them to someday pass these gorgeous guns to their sons one day. But I do understand that at that point it was his gun to do with what he please. I guess instead of anger it was more hurt. I'm very blessed. I would've gave him $1000 for it and bought him a Judge. The money really isn't the problem. But, , , it's a Colt 1911 for gods sake!! But like I said, if he's happy with the Taurus, so be it! I was hoping that it meant something more knowing that it came from me, and that how I feel about my guns!! Especially my 1911's!

Sounds like they had crappy guns for more reasons than just financial. Sometimes people have crappy stuff (car, house, people in their life) for reasons beyond their control, and well, sometimes they have them for another reason. Sometimes people don't place the same value on things we do, even if the items are of fine quality. I don't know what to tell you, except I wouldn't give him another firearm ever again. If he trends this way with other gifts/items, I just wouldn't give him anything of any real value again. Obviously everyone has different things they value and that is fine, but there is a difference in placing value in something and understanding the value that something has.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm guessing that a couple of years from now, your brother will kick his own ass when he sees what the 1911 is worth vs. what his Taurus is worth. It's hard to understand how people value things in life. I'm pretty simple in that regard. Every time I try to figure out what value something has, my first question is: 'Is it a 1911?'. If not, I can figure out the value without any emotion involved. This works with everything from cars to dinner as well as with handguns. Once I'm sure it's not a 1911, I can make a clear decision as to the value. If it is a 1911, I'm in trouble. If it's a 1911 shaped poptart, I still struggle with my value system.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Forrest-Gump_zps5605359e.jpg

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I certainly understand your :facepalm: frustration with his decision, but a true gift should never have strings attached.

As for silly trades, I had a friend who impulsively decided he had to have a 1911... like NOW!

After doing exactly ZERO research and ignoring my words of advice he traded in his only pistol (and EDC), a quite new Glock 27, for a Rock Island compact. It wasn't even a straight trade, he had to pay $100 on top of the trade.

Rock Island-- hey it's an American name so it has to be good, right? It has to be made in Rock Island, USA by skilled gunsmiths with hand-fitted perfection.

I sold a Colt Series 80 1911 stainless smoothed version so I could buy a 75mhz Pentium processor computer back in 1995. I gave the computer away about ten years ago and the guy I sold the gun to says he wants to be buried with it. I really, really regret that move...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rock Island-- hey it's an American name so it has to be good, right? It has to be made in Rock Island, USA by skilled gunsmiths with hand-fitted perfection.

I sold a Colt Series 80 1911 stainless smoothed version so I could buy a 75mhz Pentium processor computer back in 1995. I gave the computer away about ten years ago and the guy I sold the gun to says he wants to be buried with it. I really, really regret that move...

Location of cemetery and plot # please....:naughty:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I sold a Short Chinese SKS (commando model ?) with all kinds of upgrades for $400. Composite stock, hand fitted receiver scope mount, optics, hqard case, etc. and a couple hundred rounds of ammo many moons ago. She questioned the deal with "are you SURE?" I said "of course. I'm selling it for what I have in it, I can just go to Bradis and buy another for $75 if I want one and build another."

Two weeks later I went to Bradis to buy my G27 (what I wanted the cash for) and discovered to my dismay, a month or two prior the supply had dried up entirely on those things, and even if I wanted another I'd have to spend $200 for a long Yugo SKS in sorry shape covered in cosmoline. :ugh:I had no idea the supply was wiped out. Apparently she did. I dont fault her entirely as she did give me an out.

Top Bottom