• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Great post.
    Today when i went into Plymouth after dropping my daughter off at college, i stopped in at michiana firearms like i said i would do. I first checked out tge sr1911 lightweight. Nice pistol but thought it still seemed a bit big for my needs and weight was a lil ify. Next i looked at a p365...i really liked it. Felt good and couldn't believe how light it was..next i looked at the shield+. Another great firearm, felt good in my hand and light also. I compared these 3 to what i have now for weight, size and hand comfort. My daughter's Taurus G3C also would be included but does weight a hair more than the p365 and shield+. They didn't have a regular shield to check out. I also asked their opinion about resale value of my 1911 because they also had a used 1 for sale with more rounds thru it than mine. They were selling it for $700 and said being i only have about 2 mags thru mine that 750 would be a very fair price to start with. Forgot to ask about my berreta px4 storm.

So after much consideration and input from many of you, i am going to suck it up and sell for something i need or want and feel more comfortable with for its intended purposes of self defense.
    Thanks to all that have helped me.....
    Just a reminder the lighter the pistol the more felt recoil.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you're not shooting it, and can't afford to feed it, probably better to let it go.
    This...if you aren't using it and want something different or better, by all means make the change!

I've recently been going through a bit of a safe clean out process myself!
    The criteria I'm using is,
    a) anything I haven't shot in 5+ years,
    b) has no sentimental value, and
    c) is replaceable if needed or desired...
    ...is what is on the chopping block!
    I have two (2) toys that I want to buy, and the recovered funds will more than cover them, so that'll still give me a new toy without having an out-of-pocket expense.
    One of them is definitely a Ruger 1911 LW Commander in 9mm...we'll see?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is no well informed hand gun recommendation for a person with a slim enough wallet they need to go through any of the contortions posted in this thread. If money is that tight you can't afford playing with guns like they were baseball cards trading them around.
    Depends. I look at security as a need/requirement that deserves some prioritization (with food, shelter, being higher in the pecking order).

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Wow, what a thread. I'm almost sorry I finally decided to read it.

OP, I don't know what your target budget is but you mentioned slimness being one important criteria.
    With that in mind, might I suggest the SA-35? It's based on the venerable Browning Hi-Power 9mm and pretty thin at 1.3" wide, 31.5 oz., and has a 15 round capacity.

Only downside is it's a SAO (if that's a downside for you). I have a Browning BDM which is basically a hi-power but is DA/SA.

Indiana Gun Club has one in stock for $795 ($799 msrp).

1710801623685.png 1710801639591.png

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Just a reminder the lighter the pistol the more felt recoil.
    99% of the time this is true but oddly enough I was surprised that when I shot the 365 it wasn’t too bad. To me at least it wasn’t as bad as several 380s I’ve shot. But most of the time your statement would ring true.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Wow, what a thread. I'm almost sorry I finally decided to read it.

OP, I don't know what your target budget is but you mentioned slimness being one important criteria.
    With that in mind, might I suggest the SA-35? It's based on the venerable Browning Hi-Power 9mm and pretty thin at 1.3" wide, 31.5 oz., and has a 15 round capacity.

Only downside is it's a SAO (if that's a downside for you). I have a Browning BDM which is basically a hi-power but is DA/SA.

Indiana Gun Club has one in stock for $795 ($799 msrp).

View attachment 340883 View attachment 340884
    Nice looking but lil big. My budget is what i can get for the sr1911 or the px4 storm in 9mm no cash involved on my part. Going to set up the listing in a day or so. I'm looking more into compacts and really liked the p365 i handled or the shield+. Couple others i can't think of that are similar sized double stack.
    Indyblue, forgot to add that i looked at the lightweight 1911 and think it's a lil big still for my liking.. i want to be comfortable and confident with what i am carrying..

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Nice looking but lil big. My budget is what i can get for the sr1911 or the px4 storm in 9mm no cash involved on my part. Going to set up the listing in a day or so. I'm looking more into compacts and really liked the p365 i handled or the shield+. Couple others i can't think of that are similar sized double stack.
    Indyblue, forgot to add that i looked at the lightweight 1911 and think it's a lil big still for my liking.. i want to be comfortable and confident with what i am carrying..
    gunbroker shows SR1911's listed for between the high $500's to $800.

Ok, what about a CZ 75 D PCR Compact @ $495 (again Indiana Gun Club in-stock)? It's my go to EDC now.
    She has some beautiful curves, comfortable, reliable and accurate and 100% metal alloy.
    1710804575451.jpeg

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Ok, what about a CZ 75 D PCR @ $495 (again Indiana Gun Club in-stock)? It's my go to EDC now.
    She has some beautiful curves.
    View attachment 340906
    Those grips are super cool, really sets whole thing off. Dont think the cz was in any discussions until now. Look similar to an m&p maybe. Might not of been mentioned it, but a used is mainly what I'm looking at because of prices. Feel I'd be better of with well maintained used over a new. That is still an option i haven't or won't over look. I'll see how the used goes for a little while before i say screw it and buy new.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    gunbroker shows SR1911's listed for between the high $500's to $800.

Ok, what about a CZ 75 D PCR Compact @ $495 (again Indiana Gun Club in-stock)? It's my go to EDC now.
    She has some beautiful curves, comfortable, reliable and accurate and 100% metal alloy.
    View attachment 340906
    Now yer talking! I love my CZs and a P01 or P07 are usually my EDC. I didn’t mention them before because I thought the OP wanted a smaller gun. Excellent guns! There is a P07 with extras for a little over $400 in our classifieds now. Tempting… even though I have one already.

Reactions: Mij

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Those grips are super cool, really sets whole thing off. Dont think the cz was in any discussions until now. Look similar to an m&p maybe. Might not of been mentioned it, but a used is mainly what I'm looking at because of prices. Feel I'd be better of with well maintained used over a new. That is still an option i haven't or won't over look. I'll see how the used goes for a little while before i say screw it and buy new.
    They are out there used, I bought mine used here from another INGO member.

Check IGC for used as well. A good friend is a manger there, he can keep an eye out for used items.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They are out there used, I bought mine used here from another INGO member.

Check IGC for used as well. A good friend is a manger there, he can keep an eye out for used items.
    A good idea is to build up a relationship with your LGS. Give them your info and tell them what you are looking for. They LOVE that. Why take in a trade that might sit on the shelf for a month before it moves? If they know they have somebody interested they will most likely call you to come look at it. (theyd be a fool not to)

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Now yer talking! I love my CZs and a P01 or P07 are usually my EDC. I didn’t mention them before because I thought the OP wanted a smaller gun. Excellent guns! There is a P07 with extras for a little over $400 in our classifieds now. Tempting… even though I have one already.
    The cz @indyblue showed looks like a compact. Is what i think a compact is alot smaller?

Top Bottom